It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User
Throat feels bone dry even after drinking tons of water

I'm not sure what this is related to, but my throat constantly feels dry even when I drink water all day. I feel like I'm always minutes from passing out. I looked up Sjogrens and wondered if I may have this, but I don't have a dry mouth. My mouth has plenty of saliva, it's just my throat, eyes and nose always feel dry.

The throat being dry is really scary at times. I've been trying to run my errands today and I'll drink a bunch of water before I leave, but an hour later, my throat becomes bone dry again and I feel like I'm going to pass out. I'm really getting frustrated. I don't see my new doc until Thursday.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Re: Throat feels bone dry even after drinking tons of water

I am not sure. I know that I personally go through periods of time where my need for water/thirst becomes insanely intense.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
(male)

buckerine11 HB User

Do you feel thirsty as well, or is it just your throat that's dry?

Old 11-02-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
(female)

mattie75 HB User

I have that sometime and have been tested for Sjorgren's but came back negative. All I have tested positive for is Hashi's. I think it is related personally. I also will sometimes have a real bad taste in my mouth and almost like I have burned my mouth with food that is too hot, but not just one place but all over. Hard to explain how it feels. I just think it is simply part of my Hashi's and try to ride it out. It usually subsides after a few days/weeks. Just need to drink to keep my mouth wet.

I have some mouthwash that the doctor gave me that helps. It is several things mixed like antacid, benadryl, cortisone, and something for yeast. It is a swish and spit mixture. It's good stuff! Yuck! but helps the symptoms alot.
Someone told me that they give it to chemo patients for dry mouth. Your pharmacy may can mix it for you as I have not had trouble just asking for it. I keep it in the refrigerator for when I need it.

I have had this for years, and have just started to relate some/most of my symptoms to the thyroiditis. I thought for a long time it was burning mouth syndrome and have since found it too is related to hypothyroid. When all my symptoms rear their ugly head the mouth thing seem to come along with it.

Mattieann

Old 11-02-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

My mouth isn't dry, only my throat. I don't feel thirsty, but my throat is so dry I feel like I could start choking. I'm having terrible inflammation in my neck and sinuses too. I'm trying all kinds of natural sinus remedies since I can't take decongestents, but nothing seems to work.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:53 AM   #6
(female)

mattie75 HB User

Sorry! My mouth and throat get dry.
Do you have indigestion? I also have some panic that will make my throat feel dry and that too goes with my Hashi's.

Sorry I misread your post. Something in my throat crackles and crunches when my Hashi's is active. I think it is pressing on a cartlidge or something. Makes me real anxious when I hear that noise, which attributes to the dry throat/mouth thing.

Hope things get better for you. Maybe try some hard candy, although bad for teeth. There is also gum that you may try, especially sugar free. I know I went through several months of gum chewing. I am better right now. Other issues bothering me more.

Mattieann

Closed Thread