It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
(male)

buckerine11 HB User
Tender area on scalp?

Hi all, has anyone noticed a sore spot on your scalp due to hypothyroidism? Like, it's not the entire scalp, but just an area where it seems to hurt if you touch it. For me, that area seems to be where I'm losing the most hair. Has anyone experienced something similar?

Old 11-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
(female)

djh924 HB User
Re: Tender area on scalp?

I have - when washing my hair it feels like I might have gotten hit on the head (sore areas), but I know I haven't. Actually, mostly when this occurs there are two spots, but sometimes one. I mentioned this when sent to the dermatologist for hair loss before being diagnosed hypothyroid, but she never said anything about it. I've always wondered what the connection is. Interesting to hear someone else with the same symptom!

Denise

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
(male)

buckerine11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh924 View Post
I have - when washing my hair it feels like I might have gotten hit on the head (sore areas), but I know I haven't. Actually, mostly when this occurs there are two spots, but sometimes one. I mentioned this when sent to the dermatologist for hair loss before being diagnosed hypothyroid, but she never said anything about it. I've always wondered what the connection is. Interesting to hear someone else with the same symptom!

Denise
Hey Denise, yeah that's interesting that at least another person is experiencing this. Are you on medication for hypothyroidism? If so, has your hair loss and tender spot improved?

Old 11-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
(female)

djh924 HB User

Hey buckerine,

Yeah, I've been on Synthroid since this past May. My hair loss seems to come and go. Just when I think it may have stopped for good it starts up again. I do still get the sore spots, but not as often. I'd say way less frequent than before. Probably once every month and a half to two months, compared to about once every two to three weeks before. The sore spots usually last a couple of days.
I forgot to add last time that I never noticed a connection between the sore spots and ammount of hair loss, but I never thought to look at the areas for that.
There has to be some connection, but it's odd that so few people (at least amongst the ones on this board) have this symptom.
So how about you, are you on Synthroid or other? How often do you get the sore areas?
You know it's so weird, when I first started experiencing this I tried to find info online but couldn't find anything. Made me think I was nuts when I told my husband and the dermatologist about it. So much so that I never mentioned it to the endo or my primary doc. I guess maybe I should have!

Denise

Old 11-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #5
(male)

buckerine11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh924 View Post
Hey buckerine,

Yeah, I've been on Synthroid since this past May. My hair loss seems to come and go. Just when I think it may have stopped for good it starts up again. I do still get the sore spots, but not as often. I'd say way less frequent than before. Probably once every month and a half to two months, compared to about once every two to three weeks before. The sore spots usually last a couple of days.
I forgot to add last time that I never noticed a connection between the sore spots and ammount of hair loss, but I never thought to look at the areas for that.
There has to be some connection, but it's odd that so few people (at least amongst the ones on this board) have this symptom.
So how about you, are you on Synthroid or other? How often do you get the sore areas?
You know it's so weird, when I first started experiencing this I tried to find info online but couldn't find anything. Made me think I was nuts when I told my husband and the dermatologist about it. So much so that I never mentioned it to the endo or my primary doc. I guess maybe I should have!

Denise
Hi Denise,
I'm actually currently waiting on the results to my thyroid antibody test. My labs were always normal (though my T4 seems a bit low), so I was never treated for hypothyroid. I've got all the classic symptoms for hypothyroidism, so it's becoming increasingly frustrating.
As for the sore spot, it might have been a direct link to where I lose more hair. But, my sore spot hasn't changed in the past two years. If I just gently press on it, it kinda hurts (not sharp pain, but almost like a headache).
And I highly doubt this is a medically diagnosable symptom, so doctors wouldn't really know about it.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
(female)

Luvmydogs6 HB User

Yes, I get them also. I was on Syntroid for 8 months and my hair was falling out alot and I felt horrible. Never had these sore spots on my head either until Synthroid. Who knows! I just switched back over to Levoxyl today. See how that works. Was on it for 6 years before.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:26 AM   #7
(female)

Luvmydogs6 HB User

Do they go away? I only noticed mine within the last two weeks. I have one above and behind my right ear and one on the right side of my forehead, temple. I cannot sleep on that side of my head. Feels like someone put hot wax on those spots and ripped it off. That is the kinda sore feeling they have. Wierd.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:45 PM   #8
(female)

StephC HB User

I have been on synthroid for about 2 years now and I also get sore spot that comes and goes - not always same spot - no hair loss just sensitive area - hurts when I touch my hair in the area, usually last couple days and goes away.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
(female)

Luvmydogs6 HB User

I think mine is different, especailly the one on my right temple. I had a twitch there for a while, still have it and now left with the area very sore and shooting pain once in a while. Wierd.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:05 AM   #10
(female)

gabby1944 HB User

I have a secondary hyperthyroid problem, have never taken any kind of thyroid medication and I'm not losing hair but I have an extremly sore spot as well in the top of my head about 2" long and 1" wide. This makes me wonder since all of you are hypo etc. and I'm not if this problem has anything to do with the thyroid. BTW my hair is short not pulled up or teased at all. Our bodies sure are strange.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #11
(female)

Teresa Campbell HB User

I just happened to run across your discussion board. I have been experiencing extreme hair loss for about two years, and for the last 6 months soreness on my scalp (top of my head where my hair loss is most extreme. I have been on Syntroid for many years, but didn't connect the dots. I had been diagnosed with low thyroid.

I'm seeing a dermatologist at IU Med Center located in Indpls for over a year. He first prescribed Spironolactone. Took this for about a year and no positive results noticed. Then in Nov. of '09 he prescribes Propecia along with the Spironlactone (which he doubled my dose to 4 pills per day) Meanwhile, my hair keeps falling out mainly in front and in the crown. I mentioned my sore scalp and the only comment he made was he didn't want me putting anything like Rogaine on it. I'm thinking about just gettintg off all these drugs since all I'm doing is polluting my system.

It's nice to know that they're others out there that share my concern and that I'm not alone.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #12
(female)

aras HB Useraras HB Useraras HB Useraras HB User
Lightbulb Re: Tender area on scalp?

Hi Everyone
I have been having a sore area on my scalp for a couple of months now and diffuse thinning of my hair. I have been on levothyroxine for years for hypothyroidism. I started having twitching of my eye lids and a very hopped up nervous feeling so I stopped the levothyroxine everyday and started taking it about twice a week. I told my doctor about my symptoms and she told me to leave the levothyroxine off altogether for 6 weeks. I have and I am getting it checked tomorrow. Seems like the burning scalp started about the time when I cut down on the Levothyroxine. It will be interesting to see what my test reveal. Will post again when I get the results
Gail

Old 01-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #13
(female)

o-tired-1 HB User

I have a tender/sore spot on my scalp. Have for a long time. I always just thought it was due to my fibromyalgia (tender point.) It never moves or grows, just there, though sometimes it is more tender. The way I discovered it was when the back of a chair my parents have (wicker) came in contact with it (when I leaned my head back.) Or, I can find it if I go feeling for it. Generally it does not bother me (except when I sit in that wicker chair!) I am hypothyroid and have FM but I do not take synthroid. My hair falls out quite a bit though I have not noticed it is so fast that I am thinning, thankfully. Just mucho-mega hair in the brush and major shedding on my shoulders! And sometimes that is worse and sometimes it is better. I guess it just depends upon my hormone cycles.

O

Closed Thread