It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
(female)

BLM 77 HB User
Treatment options for reverse T3 dominance?

I have been diagnosed with reverse T3 Dominance. My doctor placed me on Armour. After a period of time, my blood levels were re-checked and my reverse T3 actually increased. My research indicates I should have been prescribed a T3 only medication due to my inability in converting T4 into T3. Please advise.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2009, 07:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Treatment options for reverse T3 dominance?

Yes, usually T3 is prescribed to clear out the RT3. I've had this same problem and it was stemming from my untreated adrenal fatigue. I'm still in the process of getting the correct treatment for this and had to cut back on my natural thyroid meds until I do, otherwise I only get over-range T3 and RT3 and lingering hypo symptoms.

If your adrenals are putting out either too much or too little cortisol you can have high RT3 and not get good results from your thyroid hormone replacement. I recommend you get a saliva cortisol test and see how your adrenals are functioning.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #3
(female)

confusa HB User

i bet this is my problem too. how do you know you had rt3?

Old 11-07-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
(female)

Aahhh Problems HB User

This is exactly what i had too... Tried to deal with the adrenals first but now I have to go on a small dose of T3 meds.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusa View Post
i bet this is my problem too. how do you know you had rt3?
Ask your doc to run the RT3 test. It's not only if it's out of range that's important but what the ratio of it is to your FT3. To do this you have to divide into your RT3 into your FT3 and the ratio should be greater than 19. High RT3 will bind with the T3 receptors and keep you hypo.

Generally if our adrenal support isn't working well it's good to get the RT3 tested and then go on T3-only for a while to clear it out if RT3 is high.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
(female)

confusa HB User

what kind of symptoms and for how long would i have to go on a lower dose. that scares me ...i had a bad experience recently being undermedicated...don't care to do that again. but if i have to much on board then there is no other way... i will call monday morning to ask for that to be checked. meanwhile, i wait. javelina, seriously you are like so smart. why are you not a doctor? lol

Old 11-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Confusa, I think I'm more stubborn than smart, just ask my husband

It wouldn't hurt to get the RT3 (and you have to also do the FT3 with it) done. If you're pooling T3 or RT3 you will need to cut back on the T4 and/or the T3 until the adrenals get fixed.

Like I say, a juggling act.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
(female)

BLM 77 HB User
Smile Re: Treatment options for reverse T3 dominance?

Hi Confusa... My doctor ordered a complete thyroid panel, including an RT3 level, and the results were above the normal range indicating an inability in converting T4 into T3. My body is converting T4 into RT3 instead, which is molecularly identical, however it flips upside down on the RT3 receptor sites, therefore blocking my ability to utilize T3. This has been creating hypothyroid symptoms for many years but was not found due to its insidious nature. Hope this is helpful to you!

Old 12-12-2009, 07:00 AM   #9
(female)

confusa HB User

blm77
i too have rt3 12.5 was my result...i think anything under 20 means rt3. the frustrating part is when i mentioned about treating with t3 only they focused on the adrenals and are not wanting to change my thyroid meds. i have felt better the last week so i don't know what is going on. i will try this for a bit longer and when i can see her face to face i will again suggest the t3 only the last appointment was a phone consult. how are you doing now since you have been on the t3 only for about a month now?

Closed Thread