It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2009, 07:43 AM   #1
(male)

MrHcaphill HB User
Eyesight Issues and Hypothyroidism?

"Thank you" to those who have answered regarding my test results and potential hypothyroid.

Question regarding eyesight and hypo:

About the time I began to notice something was wrong, one of the problems that came up was eyesight problems. I have been nearsighted since grade school- wear contacts now almost exclusively- hardly wear glasses. I have astigmatism in both eyes and I wear bifocal contacts. Nevertheless...

The disturbing problem was that my right eye seemed to REALLY loose its strength 2 years ago. It got to the point that my eyes stopped cooperating with each other. I began to notice that the right was good for close up work and the left was good for distance. I started closing the right one at church so I could see our pastor better during sermons, and closing the left one when I wanted to read the bulletin (for example).

Now, my left is generally weak all the time (and blurry) and I often just read and see with my left. I think my brain shuts down the right one and ignores its signals most times. This sucks of course because I also had a car accident around that time- I didn't even see the stop sign on my right and breezed right through.

Anyway- does this connect with my potential hypo problem? Or am I just getting really old and decrepit?

Old 11-07-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Eyesight Issues and Hypothyroidism?

I don't know, how old is really old and decrepit? Note: If you say my age or younger you're in deep trouble buddy

Have you seen an ophthalmalogist recently? This doesn't sound too familiar to me... other than I've noticed my pupils don't seem to work correctly all the time and this interferes with my photography sometimes. I also have dry eyes.

Maybe others here have had this experience but I would get to a doctor to have it checked out.

Last edited by javelina; 11-07-2009 at 05:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
(male)

MrHcaphill HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelina View Post
I don't know, how old is really old and decrepit? Note: If you say my age or younger you're in deep trouble buddy

Have you seen an ophthalmalogist recently? This doesn't sound too familiar to me... other than I've noticed my pupils don't seem to work correctly all the time and this interferes with my photography sometimes. I also have dry eyes.

Maybe others here have had this experience but I would get to a doctor to have it checked out.
There is no age range for "old and decrepit" I guess but I do feel like the "standard" right now.

I did see an ophthalmologist in the Spring of 08 right around the time my kidney stones hit. I was already feeling like crap and the eyesight changes just added insult to injury at that point. I was told that it was just progressive changes attributed to "getting older and having an astigmatism in BOTH eyes" now. I can only liken it to using a pair of binoculars when both lenses haven't been dialed in yet. I read without glasses before bed and I find that it's just better to close the bad eye altogether.

Anyway, I raised the question because I read a few sites that mention blurred vision as a potential symptom of hypo and wondered if others had similar experiences.

My endo also mentioned her concern about my pituitary gland having connection with my low testosterone levels. That sent me to the web again and reading about pituitary tumors. Then I read about those types of tumors affecting eyesight!

I tell you, the Internet is dangerous when you are desperate to learn what's wrong. (I won't even go into my research on kidney stone removal techniques! Trust me, a guy should NEVER look that up before "going under" the knife )

Last edited by MrHcaphill; 11-07-2009 at 08:58 PM.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

I think that if your endo mentioned pituitary concerns then it's perfectly reasonable to think in terms of getting that pituitary MRI'd and see if everything is ok there. Weird eyesight issues and dysfunction of the HPA axis seems like a good enough reason to me.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
(male)

HYPO KEN HB User

I too have had some blurry vision from time to time. I will also occasionally experience sore eyes and dull headaches. Deep breathing seems to help me when I feel anxcious too sometimes.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
(female)

fireweed HB User

When i was going hypo before RAI treatments for thyroid cancer, I ended up having messed up vision. Into my fourth week off Synthroid it seemed like my eyes were not working well together. I didn't drive because of it. If i covered one eye, i could see fine. When I looked to the left, say to cross a street, i had to look straight on rather than at a sideways angle to be able to get more focus. A few days into being back on Synthroid, the condition disappeared. I did see my opthamologist but only after it had improved. I recall having mild episodes of this last year, probably as my thyroid was falling apart, unbeknownst to me. There are some optical complications or associations with thyroid disease.

Closed Thread