It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
(male)

captain2 HB User
removal of 1/2 thyroid- never the same again -- true or false -- please respond

removal of 1/2 thyroid- you are never the same again -- true or false. I never read of anybody with good stories or doing well after any part of thyroid removal, just a merry go around of problems of hypo/hyper problems, fighting doctors to get right drugs , depression ect. ARE THERE ANY GOOD STORIES OUT THEIR OF PEOPLE REMOVING PART OF THEIR THYROID AND BACK TO THEIR OLD ENERGY AND PRE SURGERY NUMBERS and just doing well.. LETS HEAR SOME GOOD STORIES AS I WILL BE HAVING SURGERY 12/15/09 AND DONT KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT..

I have no symptoms have perfect numbers, perfect energy, but I cant understand why I have to take out 1/2 thyroid just to find out it is benign or cancer and screw up a perfectly good metabalism . Why cant the 2 fnbs just give me a straight answer HURTHLE CELL BENIGN OR CANCER not this we dont know but mostly likley it is benign with just remote posibility of cancer, but just take half your thyroid out to find out for sure. All the doctors say It could remain benign and I could die of old age before it becomes cancer. Already 58 yrs old.

Diagnosis
as of aug 09 have 1.5 cm isthmus hurthle cell nodule (neoplasm) and now nov 09 it is 1.9 cm but only grew .4 cm.
All doctors say a benign nodule can grow also.I still feel it still a mistake to take it out especially if it is benign. Hope metabalism not screwed up after surgery

Last edited by captain2; 11-18-2009 at 08:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
(female)

RUFUS100 HB UserRUFUS100 HB UserRUFUS100 HB UserRUFUS100 HB User
Re: removal of 1/2 thyroid- never the same again -- true or false -- please respond

I had a total thyroidectomy in feb 2009 because of a multi-nodular goiter and hashimoto's. My experience was very positive and it does take a few months to get the levels back to normal but i feel so much better. I put off my surgery for months because i was afraid of surgery but wish i would have done it sooner. Be positive and know there are good stories out there. Good luck.
Rufus

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
(female)

cheryltwin HB Usercheryltwin HB User
Re: removal of 1/2 thyroid- never the same again -- true or false -- please respond

I have a 5cm nodule on the R... have had it for over 5 years... it has not changed... I have no symptoms... endo doing RAIU on Monday just to give me more peace of mind... he feels confident it is just a benign nodule... Have had 2 FNA's with unremarkable results... So I'm just going to hang out until I have some symptoms... no reason I can see to have to take thyroid meds for the rest of my life and hope to get the dosage correct... too many horror stories out there. Each of us has to do what is comfortable for him/her.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #4
(female)

teddybear111 HB User

I too would love to hear some positive stories.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I had 1/2 the thyroid out and the isthmus and my numbers are fine.....I don't have to take any meds

Old 01-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
(female)

mustlovecats HB User

i have a TT more than a year ago, still fighting with the dosage, sorry can't give you a good story, I wish I never had my thyroid removed, it is taking forever to get my levels right.

Closed Thread