It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User
What should I expect switching from synthroid to armour?

I'll be switching to 60mg of Armour (from compounding pharmacy) from 100mcg synthroid. Anything I should expect, like to feel better soon or heart palps? Just wondered.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: What should I expect switching from synthroid to armour?

60 mg is a pretty small dose of Armour so don't expect much. You might need to raise the dose as needed to get your symptoms under control. Do some labs in a few weeks and see what your FT3 and FT4 levels look like.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

Will I be ok on armour made at a compounded pharmacy? I've read it's about the same as the old Armour if made this way.

I'm getting new labs in 2 weeks.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ask what they are using as a filler at that compounding pharamcy. If they are using cellulose you might have problems. Some are using lactose, which if you don't have issues with it is a good filler.

I would consider getting some Erfa if you are going to stick with desiccated thyroid. It's a fraction of the cost of compounded and has very few fillers and no cellulose. Compounding pharms are not very closely regulated so it's not as sure a thing as a major manufacturer. Go to the Erfa Thyroid site and print out the drug info for your doc to take a look at. I use a Canadian pharmacy that charges $19 for 100 1 grain tablets (plus $7.50 S&H). Everyone who uses Erfa says it most closely resembles the old Armour of them all.

Last edited by javelina; 11-23-2009 at 03:23 PM.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

See and I thought getting it at a compounding pharmacy was better than getting the old formula of Armour. I don't know what the filler is, I didn't know to ask. I already picked it up. I hope it works. Now I'm all worried I got the wrong thing. I wish these meds were cut and dry. If I stay on this I'll look at the Erfa website.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sorry! I didn't mean to worry you. Many, many folks do fine with compounded meds. I'm just too cheap to buy them when there are cheaper and better alternatives out there

Old 11-23-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

No problem. I appreciate all your help. :-) All I can do is try new things and see how it works out.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:21 PM   #8
(female)

SandieRC HB User

I didn't do well on compounded Armour. Let us know how you do.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:57 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

I just found out the compounded thryoid meds I just got do have cellulose as a filler, but the pharmacist said he didn't think it was a problem and he hasn't had any complaints from anyone. Maybe by switching from synthroid to armour I'll feel a difference anyway. I'll give it a month or so and if I don't feel a difference, I'll look into the Canadian version. The pharmacist said he just talked to the Armour company yesterday and they didn't give him a date of when they'll be back in production.

Closed Thread