It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
(male)

HYPO KEN HB User
Thyroid Medication (Effectiveness Throughout The Day)

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone,

I take my thyroid medication the same time everyday (7:30 AM). Upon taking your thyroid medication does anyone experience some increased stamina for about 5-6 hours, and then a decreased level of stamina?

I have personally noticed this at times, and my wife believes it to be true as well. I have just begun to consume honey. I will pour some on my cereal and will also pour some into a cup of hot water. I have read about the wonderful benefits of honey especially dark honey-and I will also mix honey and cinnamon into a cup of hot water as well. Very good!

Ken

Last edited by HYPO KEN; 11-26-2009 at 08:36 AM.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Thyroid Medication (Effectiveness Throughout The Day)

What are you taking for thyroid meds? If its synthetic T4 you shouldn't notice a spike of energy afterwords since it's a storage hormone that has to convert to T3 in the tissues. If you are taking any T3 (Cytomel or natural deisccated thyroid), this tends to spike after a few hours and then taper off causing a change in energy levels, hence why many split their dose during the day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

I split my T4 also because of this (I take T3 too). I used to take all of my T4 in the morning but at one point had to start to split the dose. I take about 2/3 of my meds in the morning and 1/3 in the afternoon around 1 or 2 PM on an empty stomach 15-20 min before next meal. I have given this advice to several people on levothyroxine over the years that seem to have too much energy (even hyperT symptoms) in the AM and "pass out" in the PM - it has obviously worked since no one has come back to me to complain about it .

Last edited by FinnMaid; 11-26-2009 at 10:11 AM.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:38 AM   #4
(male)

HYPO KEN HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelina View Post
What are you taking for thyroid meds? If its synthetic T4 you shouldn't notice a spike of energy afterwords since it's a storage hormone that has to convert to T3 in the tissues. If you are taking any T3 (Cytomel or natural deisccated thyroid), this tends to spike after a few hours and then taper off causing a change in energy levels, hence why many split their dose during the day.
Javelina,
That makes perfect sense since like you mentioned it is stored hormone. I take Levothyroxine 100MCG.
I'm trying my best to supplement with healthy foods-trying to avoid refined sugars etc.

Thanks again!

Ken

Old 11-27-2009, 05:40 AM   #5
(male)

HYPO KEN HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
I split my T4 also because of this (I take T3 too). I used to take all of my T4 in the morning but at one point had to start to split the dose. I take about 2/3 of my meds in the morning and 1/3 in the afternoon around 1 or 2 PM on an empty stomach 15-20 min before next meal. I have given this advice to several people on levothyroxine over the years that seem to have too much energy (even hyperT symptoms) in the AM and "pass out" in the PM - it has obviously worked since no one has come back to me to complain about it .
Hello FinnMaid,

Thank you for your response.

I will ask my doctor about this. It sounds like it may be a good idea.

Thanks again!

Ken

Old 11-27-2009, 05:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Finnmaid, that's really interesting about splitting the T4 dose, it's the first I've heard of it. I suppose some can be really good converters of T4 into T3 and get that early rush and then run out in the afternoon. Just goes to show how different everyone can be with thyroid treatment!

Old 11-27-2009, 06:52 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

I would imagine most doctors say that it's not possible but it is. My doc is just happy I've found a way to stay more stable . I do have a fast metabolism - don't know if it's a factor.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 11-27-2009 at 06:53 AM.

Closed Thread