It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
(male)

MJontario66 HB User
Hi, thyroid tests normal but symptoms very serious

Hi there,

so just like the title says that is my problem..i couldn't possibly put into words how much these symtoms i have are destroying my life

i don't know where to start, i want to keep this short and to the point

i am suffering from a long list of conditions, most of which are thyroid like symptoms and some resemble almost exactly to hyperthyroidism..

so anyway i been battling with my illness for years but it wasn't until this year where through my own research, i discovered that i mot likely have a thyroid problem..once i started reading about thryoid ailments i became thrilled and relieved because i thought i finally discovered where my problems lie.

so i got the doctor to perform not just the standard tsh test but the free t3,t4 and antibodiies test..i was thinking ok here we go this should be interesting
results come in
i see my endo and he tells me my thyroid is normal..i was absolutely devestated and depressed all week..i asked him if these tests are super accurate he says "oooh yess!" which didn't help my spirits

anyway here i am a month later and don't know what to do. well let me get into my symptoms

-constant hunger..always-malabsorption to almost everything literally..i try to make this sound very serious but in words i don't think anyone can understand..anyway nothing fills me up but brown rice pasta..hunger pains remain after eating the biggest and hearty fods like burgers or potatoes and cutlettes..for some reason pasta is the only thing that works..doctors kind of smirkwhen i try to explain this like i don't know what i'm talking about..this is my life i am an expert in how my body responds to things by now
-involuntary gas..not what you think..no contraction no sound.fully unaware when it happens..don't bother menntioning it anymore it gets me nowhere
-when i''m in the shower i wash my hair and my hands are covered in hair..have had this for years.
-weightlifting gets me nowhere..the point here is that i think i have protein malabsorption..i eat very well trust me, exercise, water, lift heavy but the effects of working out are zero
-concentration is putrid especially short term memory
-rash on my arms
-salivary gland issue i'm always spitting..watching tv got to spit, in the stor got to spit..dentist told me i have abnormal saliva
-jaw pain..pop sounds when i eat dinner my family can hear..strangely it fades when i eat my pasta
-sometimes when i swallow i feel obstructionn in my throat
-chronic fatigue..most of the time i'm lifeless
-i eat real slow..have this gag reflex if i eat too fast..feels like something is lodged in my throat..i absolutely cannot eat dinner without water ootherwise i choke
-heart palpotations..sometimes i have difficulty sleeping because my heart beats really hard, not fast but intensley
-inside the house i'm either shivvering or i'm boiling..my family usually says they are fine..for some reason i can never adjust to the temperature inside the house..sometimes i get so hot i feel nauseouss i need to go outside for fresh cool air
-i usually talk really softly and quietly..the louder i talk the more tired i feel
[B]-flaky forehead..i usuallly spike my hair and i remember wheni first started noticing the top of my forehead flaking

i don't know what to do..i go to the gastro i tell him i have unvoluntary gas he says "everyone has gas"..i tell him i'm always urged to spit he tells me everyone spits once in a while????...i say my chronic fatigue usually puts me in a zombie like state he tells me we all get moments when we feel tired

i almost give up..
my question is, just because a simple blood test says my thyroid is normal, should i believe it 100%?? i listen to my symptoms not what some test tells me

i've researched malabsorpiton syndrome and there is a big list of different tests available..i've never had one and might never get to have one because apparently my thryroid is A oK..if this isn't thryoid related i have no id what..

i'm currently pursuingfare/disability which would help the situation but not treat it...i've seen a psychiatrist and social worker recently which i was sent to see and no matter how intelligent, well informed or rational i sound the words psychosematic come up..ii understand the relation between body and mind but these symptoms originated during the happiest period of my life

i'm awaiting news on whether my endo will send me for a thryoid ultrasound which i asked for..i just find it hard to believe that these blood tests are "no questions asked" accurate and dependable..like i said i know what my symtoms are..

i'm really concerned what i will do if and once the ultrasound is performed and shows NOrmal..call me crazy but i'll still believe my thyroid is not ok

really i just want to know the best and accurate test.i don't care at this point how much it costs

anyway any insight would be great thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to MJontario66 For This Useful Post:
meomystory (07-05-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Hi, thyroid tests normal but symptoms very serious

Get a copy of your labs and post here with the ranges. Often endos tell us our results are "normal" when in fact they are not right for us. It's where in the ranges you fall that's important.

Your symptoms could also be from adrenal fatigue. The best way to diagnose this is with a saliva cortisol test, which you will need to order yourself online. Low cortisol will interfere with thyroid hormones so even if your thyroid tests really are normal, you need to look into this.

You should also test your vitamin D, B12 and ferritin levels. These often are deficient with endocrine problems like low thyroid and can cause symptoms as well.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
(male)

MJontario66 HB User

thank you

i will post my results here as soon as i receive the copies..i tried to retrieve my results on thrusday but the office wouldn't give any copies to me because they said my doctor, who was away all week, had to authorize it which upset me...i have a right to my results

i will take those suggestions seriously and i know one day all the people who called me crazy will learn that i in fact was not..especially when taking into consideration the depth of testing which i had undergone which is pretty thin

Old 11-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
(female)

Aahhh Problems HB User

I agree with jav, it sounds like you suffer Adrenal Fatigue along with Thyroid problems.

You can do things to help your adrenals while you wait for a doctor to take your symptoms seriously.
I suffer from severe Adrenal Fatigue, I was prescribed Hydrocortisone to help but I had a bad reaction to it and was taken off it. I've now had to change my lifestyle and diet dramatically. I'm sure there is a ton of information on the internet which can guide you with your diet, eat plenty of fresh colorful vegetables, try to eat organic. Stay away from energy drinks, coffee and sugary fruit juices. Make sure you eat something first thing in the morning (I have been eating organic oats).
Go to bed at a reasonable hour and try to stay away from stressful situations and people.
Please look online for natural ways to help support your adrenals... I've been doing it for nearly a month now, and I can now get thru the day without wanting to fall asleep. It's a long road but stay with it, the end results are worth it.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
(male)

MJontario66 HB User

i just wish i had a doctor admit to my problems sounding like thyroid issues in the very least. i've had doctors fully dismiss my concern for a poor thyroid..at one point i had to beg for just a blood test..the dilemma for me is that i've had a t3,t4 test, antibodies...and the results were normal..and this is what i'm talking about i still don't believe those results..i have malabsorption syndrome and i could prove it easily..when i was at the gastrologist's last week;

me: doctor i think i have malabsorption syndrome, if i eat anything else but gluten free pasta i lose weight and develop terrible hunger pains..i'm convinced i have it and even though i look a healthy weight, nothing metabolises in my body other than the brown rice pasta..i know this because this is my life and this is what i battle with at the present time

doctor; nah you don't have malabsorption and you dont' want to have it..i've seen patients with M.s and they are all skinny and very britle looking, you look nothing like them

me: (in my head) i'm normal looking because i'm always at home and i'm always eating duh..

then i found this website where it states that people with malabsorption syndrome or hyperthyroidism, while most lose weight, some actually gain weight because of their increased appetite

how does this hate to say it but idiot doctor not know this? we have the strongest evidence of all which is me and my symptoms..who is tis guy or anyone else for that matter to tell me i don't have a problem with malabsorption?

in the meantime i'm eating right and try to exercise but its hard because everytime i jog i lose like 200lbs that day and my hunger doubles..my metabolism is in mega speed mode and i find it baffling that my thryoid results are normal

last time i worked i lost 10lbs that one week

in this past april i went on a diet consisting of brown rice, black/kidney beans, frozen veggies, olive oil, whole grains..daily consumption of nearly 2600 calories and i lost 11 lbs

i have played around with any food you can think of and nothing sticks llike pasta does..i know it sounds odd but this is real and its the doctors job to find out why

i will pursue the possibility of adrenal fatigue though that sounds legit

what i also want to do is get fully and i mean fully and thoroughly tested for malabsorption syndrome..so whats the problem? i need the doctors to agree and send me to have it tested...they won't want to do it because of one thing..the blood tests show i'm fine

Old 11-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Have you been tested for celiac disease? It's pretty common for thyroid people to have another autoimmune disease going on and celiac is very possible. Did your doc test your thyroid antibodies too?

Old 11-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #7
(male)

MJontario66 HB User

yea test show no celiac disease..i eat whole grain bread and have no problems

i was tested for free t3,t4, antibodies

my neighbour has hypothyyroidism..last year she had a blood test that was normal

last week she was diagnosed with thyroid cancer

Old 11-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #8
(female)

singlemom2 HB User

I'm experiencing the fatigue, weightloss and constant hunger, and when I went to the doctor he asked me some questions relating to the other symptoms you named: rash, gas, hair loss. I say this to say, your illness is real and move on down the list of doctors your insurance will cover til you get to one who recognizes the symptoms. Hint: older doctors know better.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
(female)

singlemom2 HB User

One more thing. Doctor's often don't like to be told what the diagnosis is. I learned that the hard way. They often turn you away with no answers. Instead, let them go on a hunt. Suggest no possible diagnosis. Just answer all their questions truthfully. They will either ask more questions and order tests to rule out their own possible diagnoses, or they won't. Then you'll know if they're the doctor you want to work with.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:24 PM   #10
(male)

MJontario66 HB User

thanks singlemom

i know what you mean, the problem is i feel like i'm making their job a little easier by directing them which way they should be treating me, i'm giving them concrete information with very particular symptoms and the whole deal.i can see how they might get offended when i suggest what my condition might be, except that if i don't say anything i feel like they would be heading in the opposite direction where as i just couldn't keep my mouth shut..the more research is do, the more informed i am and the doctors sense that

if anything i feel like this aggressive approach is helping me a little more and its almost as if i'm a doctor to myself i'm just using them in conducting tests for me

my symptoms are very acute and like i always say, i always go by what my body is telling me not what some lab tests say

Closed Thread