It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
(female)

jojo32 HB User
How is Hyper T diagnosed?

I've lost some weight, but over a 5 year period.

I had a few bloodtests recently. My free t4 is a little high, but the free t3 is right in the middle.

I had a regular bloodtest. some things were a little high and low, but they said i'm very healthy.

my bloodpressure was 118/70.

they said my heart sounded fine.

i get restless at night, but only when i worry myself to death

i dont really understand what a heart palpatation is. if i focus on my heart i will hear it beating... and i can almost always hear it in bed when the room is very quiet, but i wont ever hear it during the day. i might feel it after exercise tho.

help?

Old 11-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User
Re: How is Hyper T diagnosed?

Hi jojo!
Well hyper- t can be diagnosed with a bloodtest called a TSI test. It shows antibodies for Graves which accounts for about 80% of hyper-t. Is your tsh very low? Sometimes both the hormones won't be out of range, just one or the other. As far as the heart palps, they are like a thudding kind of feeling or a skipping or fluttery feeling. When I was first diagnosed, even before, I was aware of my heartbeat 24/7. It was awful! Very hard kind of beat. Especially at night, I thought I was having a heart attack for sure. Keep track of your pulse rate and see what it is when you are resting, it shouldn't be higher than the 80's anyway. If it's in the high 80's or 90's then you have to tell your doc. Mine would go way up just crossing the room. I wore a heart monitor but it just showed the tachycardia which is just elevated heart rate. You can just keep having bloodwork done every 2 months or so to see what's up. Usually anxiety is part of it too, as we are usually diagnosed with anxiety disorder before anything shows up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
(female)

jojo32 HB User

I think it is in the 90s, but they've listened to my heart and checked it all kinds of times. wouldnt they have noted if it was unusually fast?

Old 11-28-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
(female)

jojo32 HB User

everythign i've read online, including books say something like this... that 60 to 100 is fine for resting:
Heart Rate Chart: Babies to Adults AGE Beats Per Minute (BPM)
Children ages 1-10 60 - 140
Children age 10+ and adults 60 - 100

So... that would mean my heart is fine

Old 11-29-2009, 03:51 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Those do sound high A short search showed a normal heart rate to be 50-80 which sounds more correct. I would be concerned if my heart rate was at 80 (heck I need to reduce my thyroid med doses when my resting heart rate goes above 70 and I also feel my heart at that point). Children do have a higher heart rate and the poorer your physical condition the higher the heart rate is. (EDIT: just checked mine - got a result of 60 which is the lowest this far for me - it's the running... ).

Last edited by FinnMaid; 11-29-2009 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Added something

Old 11-29-2009, 05:31 AM   #6
(female)

jojo32 HB User

Also, the smaller you are, the higher it is.

I weigh in the 90s and am about 5'1

Old 11-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

Yes, I had a high heart rate years before I was diagnosed too, but was never really aware of it till thyroid hormones went high also. it wouldn't mean there's anything wrong with your heart, it's just that the high hormone level makes your metabolism faster, which makes your heart beat faster. It just has that effect on the heart.

Last edited by GravesGirl73; 11-29-2009 at 10:09 AM.

Closed Thread