It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2009, 11:06 AM   #1
(male)

MrHcaphill HB User
My results are in- Doc says I'm "normal." Why am I still exhausted then???

I just got back from my follow-up visit with the endocrinologist. I waited more than a month to see her and ended up taking another day from my classroom and hiring a substitute teacher for my students. I know as much now as I did a month ago- a YEAR ago for that matter. I don't know where to turn next.

She said everything was "Normal" and could offer no advice or explanation for why I sleep 12+ hours a day, am still exhausted, have no libido, and no desire to do anything I used to consider fun.

She said that my morning Testosterone level of 334 was "normal" and that it "varies according to the time of day. She also called my afternoon Testosterone level of 225 "within acceptable range." VERY reluctantly, she prescribed t-gel but ONLY at my absolute insistence. She warned that it could cause side-effects relating to sleep apnea and prostate cancer.

She says that my TSH, LH, and FSH are all "normal." I am not "hypo" according to her. (My mother IS hypothyroid and has taken meds for it for the last 30 years.)

I am SO FRUSTRATED and so sad right now. I feel that I have gone back to square one again and I don't know where to turn for help. I've been seeking help with the exhaustion and sleeping since last January. I want to cry.

I will list my blood results once more- perhaps someone can offer advice. I am just lost:

Testosterone [on 11-10-09] (morning) 334 (Ref. Range 240 - 830)

Testosterone [on 11-3-09] (afternoon) 225 (Ref. Range 240 - 830)

Testosterone (TFB) [on 11-3-09] 306 (Ref. Range 240 - 830)

Testosterone, Free 58.1 (Ref. Range 46.0- 224.0)

Testosterone, Bioavailable 122.1 (Ref. Range 110.0- 575.0)

Sex Hormone Binding 19 (Ref. Range 9- 45)

Intact PTH 46.6 (Ref. Range 14.0- 72.0)

Calcium 9.4 (Ref. Range 8.6- 10.3)

Phosphorus 2.7 (Ref. Range 2.8- 4.6)

FSH 3.7 (Ref. Range 1.4 - 18.1)

LH 3.6 (Ref. Range 1.5- 9.3)

Cortisol 16 (Ref. Range 3- 16)

IGF-I Serum (Insulin Growth Factor) 131 (Ref. Range 86- 220)

Prolactin 7.2 (Ref. Range 2.1- 17.7)

Growth Hormone <0.1 (Ref. Range < OR = 10.0)

ACTH Plasma 19 (Ref. Range 7- 50)

Thyroperoxidase AB <1 (Ref. Range 0- 8)

Albumin 4.6 (Ref. Range 3.6- 5.1)

TSH, Sensitive [on 10-28-09] 1.55 (Ref. Range 0.3 - 5.0)

TSH, Sensitive [on 12-30-08] 2.33 (Ref. Range 0.3 - 5.0)

TSH, Sensitive [on 5-7-08] 1.93 (Ref. Range 0.3 - 5.0)

T4, Free 0.9 (Ref. Range 0.9- 1.8)

T3, Free 2.8 (Ref. Range 2.3- 4.2)

Ferritin 67 (Ref. Range 27- 300)

If anyone has ANY advice I will gladly take it. I don't know where to turn now except the sofa once more

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
(male)

MrHcaphill HB User
Re: My results are in- Doc says I'm "normal." Why am I still exhausted then???

I should also add that I have patches of rashy, dry skin on my chest, an area on my shoulder-blade that itches 24/7, my eyelids (and the area below my eyes) occasionally swell up for no apparent reason, vision decrease over the last 2 years, and nagging hip to groin/testicle pain that has been around for more than a year. I am 48 years old. I feel like I'm 90.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Argh, another bad endo story. I really should write a book...

I'm not up on all the sex hormone stuff but I do know that if you are hypo all the other stuff will suffer as a result. And you ARE hypo with those labs. Your FT4 is sitting right on the bottom of range and your FT3 is only at 26% of its range. You're barely making enough storage hormone and your FT3 should be up near the top of it's range. No wonder you're sleeping all the time.

The fact that your endo didn't understand how to read labs correctly and is essentially asking you to wear a size 8 shoe when your size is really a 10 is both sad and very frustrating. All you can do is try to find a doc who can put two and two together with your family history, your debilitating symptoms and your obviously hypo labs. Keep looking and post for suggestions or referrals. Sorry this is so hard, but for what good it does, you certainly aren't alone!

Old 11-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
(male)

MrHcaphill HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelina View Post
Argh, another bad endo story. I really should write a book...

I'm not up on all the sex hormone stuff but I do know that if you are hypo all the other stuff will suffer as a result. And you ARE hypo with those labs. Your FT4 is sitting right on the bottom of range and your FT3 is only at 26% of its range. You're barely making enough storage hormone and your FT3 should be up near the top of it's range. No wonder you're sleeping all the time.

The fact that your endo didn't understand how to read labs correctly and is essentially asking you to wear a size 8 shoe when your size is really a 10 is both sad and very frustrating. All you can do is try to find a doc who can put two and two together with your family history, your debilitating symptoms and your obviously hypo labs. Keep looking and post for suggestions or referrals. Sorry this is so hard, but for what good it does, you certainly aren't alone!
Thank you- I know I am not alone but I FEEL utterly alone. I slept most of my 4-day Thanksgiving weekend away and I have even found my wife in tears over this. She says she "feels like she has lost her friend" and I have to agree that I have "lost" myself as well. I find that I now wake in the night and that I'm relieved if it is still dark out/pre-dawn. I DREAD waking hours because they just mean exhaustion and sadness.

I WILL keep looking for another doctor but I simply don't know how any longer.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Try posting here as a separate post: Looking for a doctor in MN. You can also look online to see best docs sites, some have luck with that. Another tack is call your pharmacists and ask for docs who prescribe Armour, Nature-throid, Westthroid. These practitioners tend to be more open-minded and less TSH zombies. The Armour site also has a list of prescribing docs.

I know this is hard, we're generally at our worst and yet forced to do everything for our own care because so many docs just don't get it. Hanginthere and don't give up.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:00 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Mr.H.,

There is no giving up, hang in there! I am right there with you, and my doctor commented that he thinks I am feeling much worse than I "should"..."perhaps I am depressed". You bet your butt I am depressed! With knowledge is power, so keep learning, keep asking, keep going. I have many other illnesses, kidney failure, 4 strokes, heart disease, blah blah blah...and I must say, this newly diagnosed hypothyroidism has stopped me cold in my tracks. I just was diagnosed last week, after completely giving out a few weeks ago. I mean I lost my voice, my back went out, my thoughts were blurred, and I have been living in a recliner in our living room. If it werent for pain pills I am on, because of the back, I wouldn't be typing this right now. I am just mad enough to get these thoughts out, due to pure adrenalin!

Closed Thread