It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
(female)

jojo32 HB User
Does sodium affect the thyroid?

I know IODINE in iodized salt does.

But what about if you're having only sea-salt (non-iodized salt) ?

And what if you're getting in a lot of sodium from your meals like soda, or frozen foods etc?

thanks

Old 12-05-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Does sodium affect the thyroid?

It's generally just the iodine in salt that affects thyroid. Lots of processed foods contain iodized salt so you are getting it there.
High sodium can affect other things however and can lead to blood pressure problems in many people.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
(female)

jojo32 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelina View Post
It's generally just the iodine in salt that affects thyroid. Lots of processed foods contain iodized salt so you are getting it there.
High sodium can affect other things however and can lead to blood pressure problems in many people.
Is there a way of finding the iodine content of food?

I read labels even at fast food places.. but it'll give you fat, calories, and sodium content etc.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I really don't know if processed food makers are required to list whether or not their salt is iodized in the ingredient lists or not. And fast food companies generally will only list the sodium content as you say. I would assume the salt they use is iodized though. Here in the US hypothyroidism due to low iodine is pretty rare and that's because we do get a lot of iodine in our foods, generally though fortified salt and some other foods that are naturally rich in iodine.

Last edited by javelina; 12-05-2009 at 07:17 PM.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:36 AM   #5
(female)

jojo32 HB User

Is it possible to be getting way to much that I could develop hyper?

Old 12-06-2009, 06:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tell us your symptoms and if you've had any labs, post here too. You should not be getting too much iodine with a normal diet in this country. There are other reasons for hyperthyroid, including autoimmune disease.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:50 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Dairy products often have iodine---they often use iodine to clean the udders of cows, so it's in the milk (I don't know if that's changed over the years but it's been traditionally done that way), soy has iodine, and yes, most manufacturers use salt in their products, and usually it's iodized. They added iodine to salt a long time ago because people weren't getting enough iodine. In the US there is iodine in the soil, so rice, potatoes and things grown in the US naturally have iodine. They also use iodide in flour for bread products to keep the bread fresher longer. Seafood also has iodine.

I don't think you've OD'd on iodine, but having been on a low iodine diet to prepare for RAI scans, I'll tell you that it would be impossible to be on a no iodine diet, and it's pretty tough to be on low iodine diet (basically fruits, most veggies, few packaged foods) and besides, it's just not necessary----the body needs it, and there's no reason to cut it out.

Some people here limit soy, they say it makes them feel better, you can try that.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:03 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Actually I've found that in the US, the iodine they once put in bread flour has been replaced with bromine. Per one site's info:

Quote:
Forty years ago the food industry decided to remove iodine from baked goods and replace the iodine with bromine. Iodine and bromine appear similar to the thyroid gland and bromine easily binds to the thyroid glandís receptors for iodine. Bromine, however, is of no value to the thyroid gland unlike iodine and it inhibits the activity of iodine in the thyroid gland.
There is much speculation as to whether or not adding bromine to flour is largely responsible for the increase in both hypothyroidism, autoimmune thyroid disease, and thyroid cancer in this country. Australia has recently decided to replace bromine with iodine in their bakery products, something the US would be wise to do also.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #9
(female)

jojo32 HB User

I get like 500-1000mg of salt more than I need though

however on my bt sodium was 67 on a 60 to 75 range. and my is around 118/70. so if i was getting too much sodium, wouldnt it show in those results? is it possible my body just needs more? would my sodium reading be high if I was eating way too much?

as for thyroid tests

free t3 was somewhere in the middle of the range, i cant remember the #s

but ft4 was .1 - .3 over on 2 tests. then high normal on another.

my resting heart rate is 95-105, but I dont ever feel it. i sometimes hear it if it's pitch silence at night, but that's it.
and I am a very very tiny person. i read it can be higher if you're very small..

no real symptoms that i know of.

Last edited by jojo32; 12-06-2009 at 07:36 PM.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:33 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Your blood won't show too much sodium, you excrete the extra you take in. Your lowish BP and your salt cravings could be a sign of adrenal fatigue. Your heartrate is a little high. What was your TSH?

Old 12-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #11
(female)

jojo32 HB User

Range was .5 to 6 on all of them

and it was between 1 and 2 on all of them. i'm sorry i dont have exact #s... but it was always 1 point something.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:18 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

As far as I know TSH is generally a good test for hyperthyroidism and your numbers are too high to be considered hyper.

I would also look into getting yourself a saliva cortisol test to see how your adrenals are working. But if you don't have any symptoms I wouldn't be too concerned...

Old 12-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #13
(female)

jojo32 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelina View Post
Your blood won't show too much sodium, you excrete the extra you take in. Your lowish BP and your salt cravings could be a sign of adrenal fatigue. Your heartrate is a little high. What was your TSH?
Really? Then why are there so many warnings about ingesting too much sodium?

Is it just that it can give you a high blood pressure and kidney problems?

So even if I take in 5 to 10x what I need, I'll safely let it out of me?

Old 12-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

If you have kidney problems you will retain too much sodium and water. But a healthy person will excrete excess sodium through the kidneys. Taking too much salt is not a good idea and our diets do tend to be very high in sodium with negative health effects.

Per the Mayo:

Quote:
Your kidneys regulate the amount of sodium kept in your body. When sodium levels are low, your kidneys conserve sodium. When levels are high, they excrete the excess amount in urine.

If your kidneys can't eliminate enough sodium, the sodium starts to accumulate in your blood. Because sodium attracts and holds water, your blood volume increases. Increased blood volume, in turn, makes your heart work harder to move more blood through your blood vessels, increasing pressure in your arteries. Certain diseases such as congestive heart failure, cirrhosis and chronic kidney disease can lead to an inability to regulate sodium.

Some people are more sensitive to the effects of sodium than are others. People who are sodium sensitive retain sodium more easily, leading to excess fluid retention and increased blood pressure. If you're in that group, extra sodium in your diet increases your chance of developing high blood pressure, a condition that can lead to cardiovascular and kidney diseases.
However with adrenal fatigue and Addison's disease, you need to take in extra salt because your adrenals also regulate the balance of sodium, potassium and water and if they are not fuctioning correctly you tend to lose too much sodium. That's why we have salt cravings with adrenal fatigue and it's recommended to take sea salt.

Last edited by javelina; 12-07-2009 at 11:14 AM.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #15
(female)

jojo32 HB User

Thank you for your informative replies.

My kidney functions were fine according to 3 bloodtests, and I've been a high salt user for years, so I guess my body can filter it all out correctly. and my bloodpressure obviously isnt affected by it.

I looked up adrenal fatigue and dont seem to have any symptoms of that.

I was just mainly concerned that eating too much sodium, or iodine could give me hyper-t

Closed Thread