It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
(female)

djessiny HB User
Question new here...need advice for hypothyroid

Hi,
So I just found out that I am hypothyroid.
ft4....0.72 (0.79-2.35)
sTSH....2.28 (0.465-4.68)
ft3.....302 (230-420)

I just got these lab results and have not been back to the DR yet and am not on medication. I have had debilitating fatigue and always cold for several years, but was always dismissed.
Since Aug I have lost 15lbs (I am only 5'1", so that's a ton for me and I was not overweight before). I feel like there is a lump in my throat constantly and I am so tired, some days I can hardly get out of bed. I'm dizzy on and off and have had some vision issues lately (distorted-like looking through glass that's been rained on). My HR has been so high (100-150's w/ activity), the endo started me on 25mg metoprolol temporarily until we figure out what's going on. Also I have many large bruises on my legs that have been there for months to a year or more, and won't go away. (my blood counts including clotting is normal)
I used to run 4-5days a week up until July and had a resting HR of 70's. I'm so confused because the hypothyroid explains some of the symptoms like fatigue that I've had for several years, but not all of these new symptoms since around Aug this year. Obviously I know that with hypothyroid, your HR is suppose to be low with wt gain, I am recently having the opposite. Does anyone know what could be causing these new symptoms despite the hypothyroid????

So confused...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: new here...need advice for hypothyroid

Weight loss and high heartrate is likely from adrenal fatigue. I had the same issues along with the hypothyroidism. Adrenals control in large part the sympathetic nervous system and if the adrenals become fatigued you can get dysautonomia or dys-regulation of your autonomic nervous system.

Your endo might want to do a serum cortisol test but the best way to test for AF is with 24 hr saliva cortisol testing. Most endos are not familiar or accepting of AF as a diagnosis but I suggest you pursue this by getting a saliva test yourself (you can order them online) and seeking a practitioner who is familar and willing to treat if this is the case. If you have AF your thyroid hormone replacement may not work well for you because you need adequate amounts of cortisol to transfer T3 into the cells. If your cortisol levels are abnormally high (as in early stage AF) your T4 conversion to T3 will be impaired. Hence why we treat AF before we start on thyroid hormones.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
(female)

djessiny HB User

I did have an serum am cortisol level done, which was normal...10 (5-23). The symptoms due match up. I have a MD appt on Friday, should I mention the saliva cortisol even though I had the serum tested already?
It's weird, I'm 24 yo so I get dismissed as a young healthy person. However the last several months I can barely function, even though I used to be extremely athletic. My muscles are so weak and I can't stop loosing wt (even though it was hard to loose wt before aug). So if I get on thyroid replacement, won't that make me loose more wt?

Old 12-08-2009, 05:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Quote:
So if I get on thyroid replacement, won't that make me loose more wt?
Not necessarily, not everyone who is hypothyroid gains weight, some of us lose it because a hypo state can mess up our gut with absorption issues that can cause us to lose as well as not get enough vitamins and minerals we need. You should also be tested for your vitamin D, B12 and ferritin levels because we are very often low in these and this causes symptoms too.

Most mainstream docs are not on board with saliva testing, hence why we usually have to order our own online or find an integrative medicine doc or naturopath who provides testing and treats for adrenal fatigue.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
(female)

djessiny HB User

Thank you! It helps to get some insight

Closed Thread