It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User
Breathing difficulty. Who has it and how is it?

I'm just curious how many of you out there deal with difficulty breathing and what type difficulty you have. I've had breathing difficulty and hoarseness off and on for the 8 years since I was diagnosed with Hashi's. Sometimes it isn't bad at all and then there can be months where it is horrible. I'm not even sure anymore it is related to my thyroid but most the time when I have it my levels are off. Also do you feel tightness in your throat? Do you get hoarse?

Old 12-14-2009, 03:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User
Re: Breathing difficulty. Who has it and how is it?

I've had problems breathing for the past year. I have mild asthma, but this problem is more from my neck feeling so swollen that I feel like I can't get air (my inhalers don't help at all). I recently switched over from Synthroid to a compounded dessicated thyroid, but it's a starter dose (60mg), so I'm thinking it's too low. I cough a lot trying to get air and I feel lighthead a lot like I'm not getting enough oxygen to my brain. I had to actually stay home from work today because my neck felt so swollen that I could barely breathe and my capsule actually got stuck in my throat (usually it was only the smaller pills that did that).

I've also had the hoarseness before.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2009, 05:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

Asthma has been mentioned to me, but I have none of the typical symptoms of wheezing, coughing, more trouble at night, chest tightness. I just feel like I'm being choked sometimes and have a lot of trouble breathing and get hoarse if I talk more than usual.

My dr is talking about switching me to a compounded dessicated thyroid. She says I'm just not absorbing what I'm taking now and I'm on a much larger dose than I should be.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

I was diagnosed with mild persistant asthma about 20 years ago and it's shown my small airways only work at 60-70% and have for many years. I do cough when I can't get air, but I know what that feeling is. The feeling I have now is exactly as you described. I feel like I'm being choked. If it were from my asthma, my rescue inhaler would help, but in my case now, it doesn't make any difference.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

That has to be frustrating, I know it is for me. Thyroid problems can be so frustrating. A dr I had years ago told me that the choking feeling was from the thyroid. I wish she was still here, she moved to another state. I know some people experience trouble breathing from swelling of the thyroid but I wonder how many have no swelling and still have trouble.
For such a small organ it sure can cause a lot of discomfort.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

All day today I've felt like I was close to blacking out. I wonder if it's due to a lack of oxygen to my brain from the thyroid inflammation.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

Could be, but what about your blood sugar levels? When my thyroid is off mine are lower. I'm hypoglycemic to begin with but the levels get more off if my thyroid is off. I've heard of many people that their sugar levels either go low or high when their thyroid levesl are out of kilter. You might want to check that as well.
Hope you feel better soon. I certainly can sympathize.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
(female)

Graves54 HB User

Speaking of bloodsugar problems. I am Post RAI for Graves. When my thyroid levels are either high or low I crave sugar. If hyper I especially crave peanut butter. Thats weird craving peanut butter.LOL

Old 12-14-2009, 04:21 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

Yes, my blood sugar levels do get worse when my thyroid is low, but this was from my thyroid being too inflammed from being on too low a dose of meds. I got an increase to 90mg of armour today so hopefully that will help.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #10
(male)

worried willy HB User

i wonder sometimes, i've been told my breathing and chest and throat "tightness" are as a result of anxiety, but should i have them checked by tests before just assuming this? there were no proper tests done on me to determine that i did not have some sort of breathing condition, should i schedule one or keep accepting its anxiety? i have no reason to feel anxious other than about the breathing itself!

Old 12-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

I would have it checked. Drs assume to often that symptoms are anxiety. Just to be sure it would be best to check it out.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

For many years I've had "air hunger" mostly when I lie down at night. It became daytime air hunger then a long coughing spell for over two months a few years ago but that finally resolved but the nighttime air hunger still comes and goes. I've heard that this is a sign of low T3 levels in the tissues.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User

Thanks javalina for posting. My T3 just happens to be quite low now for several months. Can't seem to get it up. At one point my T4 was too high but T3 was still low. So, the low T3 may be causing the breathing problem for me. Very interesting.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:23 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

See about getting your reverse T3 tested. Mine was very high. This will produce low FT3 levels because the T4 is converting to RT3 instead of T3 and RT3 binds more readily with hormone receptors than T3 and this makes us hypo.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Hi dea,
I have no solution to your problem. Just want to say I'm sorry as heck to hear you still have it. (I remember you mentioning it quite a while ago.) My own breathing issue from thyroid was not like yours, and it went away within the first 6 months of treatment.
Hope you get a remedy soon.

Closed Thread