It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Adrenal Fatigue & Hypothyroid

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
travelnlaughter
(female)

travelnlaughter HB User
Adrenal Fatigue & Hypothyroid

Hello...I am brand new to this site, but have been reading through many of the posts. I hope someone can help. I will spare everyone the rather long story concerning my situation except to say that everything went "downhill" and my health virtually seemed to change within a matter of a couple of days/weeks after suffering a very traumatic miscarriage last spring. I've had all kinds of bloods tests, seen multiple doctors and even had a contrast dye MRI this summer and the only thing that's come back abnormal is my thyroid & cortisol/adrenal & neurotransmitters levels. I've been working w/ a naturopathic physician and have seen some improvement, but I am still frustrated & depressed most of the time. I keep worrying that something else is going on beyond the adrenal fatigue that she's diagnosed me with (she's stated that my thyroid is behaving as if it's hypothyroid due to poor conversion issues from the adrenal fatigue). Here are my thyroid test results:
TSH: .611 (.350-5.5)
Free T3: 2.9 (2.3-4.2)
Free T4: .86 (.89-1.76)
negative for any antibodies
Also, these tests were re-run by my regular MD and they were virtually the same except the TSH was 1.05 on a scale of (.45-5.0)
As you can see they're all on the low end. I am definitely symptomatic (these things come & go):
dizziness
nausea
tingling on face
tongue sometimes feels sort of tingly or swollen -- not sure if it really is when I look at it though
achy hands which feel sort of like carpal tunnel
sometimes my feet hurt a bit
cold extremities
below normal body temperature
everything really "took off" with a vengeance after a bunch of panic attacks back in the spring & the anxiety has come & gone at differing levels since then
menstrual cycle shorter & lighter, but this is starting to normalize though

I just feel so lost & alone. I literally felt healthy & normal and then had the miscarriage & everything seemed to change after that.

Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
Graves54
(female)

Graves54 HB User
Re: Adrenal Fatigue & Hypothyroid

Hi, sorry for all the troubles you are having. Your Ft4 and Ft3 are definitely on the low side. I don't pay attention to the TSH so much, since stress, illness and so on can effect it.

Of course, adrenal fatigue must be treated first before the Thyroid medication can get into your cells.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
travelnlaughter
(female)

travelnlaughter HB User

Thanks for the reply -- I also should mention that I've suspected I might have a thyroid issue for several years. When I gave birth to my son in late 2007 I lost all 30 pounds of pregnancy weight within about 6 weeks. They checked my TSH then and it was .49 on a .45-5.0 scale. They didn't do the free tests just TSH and said TSH was normal. I'm naturally very thin and have basically weighed the same since high school except for pregnancy; however, in the last 7 months (since all this stuff started) I've gained about 4-5 pounds without changing how I eat, etc. I wonder if that is also related to the adrenal/thyroid issues? I know it's not a ton of weight at all, but enough for me to notice that clothes aren't fitting right and I've always had such steady weight.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Your labs say you're hypothyroid because your FT3 and FT4 levels are so low. If it were just AF your labs would be higher in range with symptoms. It's also very possible your miscarriage may have been a result of low thyroid hormone levels.

What is your current treatment for the adrenal fatigue and how long have you been on it? At some point you will need to add in thyroid hormone replacement, once your adrenals are well supported. Have you had your ferritin and vitamin B12 and D levels checked too?

Old 01-05-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
travelnlaughter
(female)

travelnlaughter HB User
Re: Adrenal Fatigue & Hypothyroid (Update)

Thank you, Javelina, for your kind reply to my question. I wanted to give an update on my situation & ask an additional question...Right before Christmas I had my thyroid numbers retested (hadn't been tested since September). I rec'd the results yesterday and it seems that without any treatment (apart from lowering my extreme anxiety & panic which I've had since my miscarriage last spring) my levels have normalized themselves. Unfortunately I can't seem to locate the actual results, but they worked out to my T3 improving from about 30% to 70%; my T4 improving from less than 1% (or negative) to 60% and my TSH level at just under 1. I am certainly feeling better than I did a couple of months ago, but I am still dealing with some of the hypothyroid symptoms and wondered if others have found that it can take time for your body to "normalize" and for the symptoms to be relieved even after your levels have been optimized? This has been such a long road for me and I definitely have developed pretty severe health anxiety. I worry about every little twitch, pain, etc. I've had tons of blood tests, a swallow study, eye exam, contrast dye brain scan/MRI, etc. and the only thing that has ever come back abnormal is my thyroid.

And to answer your earlier question, Javelina, I did have my B12 levels tested and they were in the normal range (high/optimal end of normal), but my naturopathic physician explained that those serum blood tests for B12 aren't always reliable and that taking high amounts of folic acid can block a B12 defiiciency (I've been taking 1000-2000 of folic acid for three years due to pregnancy, breastfeeding, etc.); my Vitamin D levels were about 25 a year ago and then raised to 38 through supplementation (tested back in September). I raised the amount I'm taking to try and get that higher. Not sure if my Ferritin levels were ever tested but I was tested for anemia.

Also, wanted to reiterate that I had my cortisol levels tested back in the fall and I was diagnosed with adrenal fatigue (low in the am and high at night -- opposite of what you want).
Thanks!

Last edited by travelnlaughter; 01-05-2010 at 09:53 AM. Reason: forgot to add something

Old 01-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

Interesting that your thyroid numbers "normalized" themselves. Don't see that happen too often. Maybe you had a viral thyroiditis? I would keep an eye on it and retest periodically.
It might be a good idea to do a saliva cortisol test to see how your adrenals are faring. Perhaps if your thyroid is not acting up anymore the adrenals have settled down too.
Get your ferritin checked too, just for kicks. It's low a lot more often than most realize and just the anemia tests won't catch it.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
travelnlaughter
(female)

travelnlaughter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelina View Post
Interesting that your thyroid numbers "normalized" themselves. Don't see that happen too often. Maybe you had a viral thyroiditis? I would keep an eye on it and retest periodically.
It might be a good idea to do a saliva cortisol test to see how your adrenals are faring. Perhaps if your thyroid is not acting up anymore the adrenals have settled down too.
Get your ferritin checked too, just for kicks. It's low a lot more often than most realize and just the anemia tests won't catch it.

Thanks again for your quick reply, Javelina. I have long suspected post-partum thyroiditis since my immediate symptoms after my miscarriage were panic attacks, shakiness, twitching, anxiety, heart palpitations, insomnia, sweating, etc. After a couple of months many of these problems subsided but then the more hypothyroid symptoms set in. No one ever actually diagnosed me as such, but it's been my theory. Especially because I had similar symptoms (excessive weight loss, insomnia, dizziness, etc.) after my son was born in 2007.

I went back and checked my various blood tests and it turns out I did have my ferritin checked, but it was two years ago -- my level was 63 on a 7-282 scale and my doctor said it was normal. Since then I've have numerous blood cell counts due to pregnancy & miscarriage and I did notice that my hemoglobin & hemotocrit (which my doctor said she uses to rule out anemia) were on the bottom end of normal and the levels have dropped in the past year (of course I experienced VERY heavy blood loss during my miscarriage) but I do wonder if there's something to the anemia thing.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

The target range for ferritin is 70-90 so I would retest that and it sounds like you may need to suppliment your iron. Also get your antibodies retested at some point, both TPO and TG, it really sounds like you may have an autoimmune angle going on here, the antibody tests aren't always that sensitive and your antibody levels can change over time.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
travelnlaughter
(female)

travelnlaughter HB User

Thank you, Javelina.

Can you explain which antibody tests you're referring to? I had some type of antibody test done back in September which was negative, but perhaps it wasn't the "right" test.

My naturopathic physician had suggested an auto-immune thyroid problem given the sudden onset after my pregnancy loss. Also, my symptoms seem to come & go -- sometimes by the hour. The only thing i wonder about is why I'm not really that fatigued. Even with a full-time job, 2 year old at home, adrenal fatigue, anxiety and terribly defeating stress I've never been particularly fatigued. Of course I get tired at times like anyone, but overall my energy is decent. I always seem to read about these people with crushing fatigue where they can't even lift their heads when they have thyroid problems and that's not me.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

You are lucky not to have the crushing fatigue so many of us experience but everyone is different with their symptoms to some degree. The symptoms list is very long and we all have some but not all of them.

The antibody tests you need are TPO-Ab (thyroperoxidase antbodies) and TG-Ab (thyroglobulin antibodies). You can have positive results on one or both of them with Hashimoto's.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:41 PM   #11
SandieRC
(female)

SandieRC HB User

Travelnlaughter, what are you doing for anxiety? Your problems sound very similar to my problems. The only thing is I didn't have a baby and my problems all came
when I had bronchitis. I have always suspected Viral Thyroiditis for me and I think it is much like post partum. The anxiety is killing me, I can't even sit down half of the time. Is yours that bad?

Old 01-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #12
travelnlaughter
(female)

travelnlaughter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandieRC View Post
Travelnlaughter, what are you doing for anxiety? Your problems sound very similar to my problems. The only thing is I didn't have a baby and my problems all came
when I had bronchitis. I have always suspected Viral Thyroiditis for me and I think it is much like post partum. The anxiety is killing me, I can't even sit down half of the time. Is yours that bad?
Hi there Sandie, I'm sorry you are dealing with terrible anxiety. Mine was REALLY bad after my miscarriage -- I had constant panic attacks from about 3 days straight and didn't sleep for more than an hour or two at a time for almost a week. After having my neurotransmitter levels tested along with cortisol levels I discovered that my seratonin was definitely low. I began taking amino acids through supplements called Kavinace & Travacor and that helped me sleep better almost immediately and also helped lessen my anxiety to a more manageable level. Don't get me wrong, I'm still very anxious (always have been by nature) but I can at least socialize a bit and talk with people. I was starting to get a bit OCD and paranoid and even felt like my year old toddler son was "looking at me funny". I have a supplement called Adrecor for the adrenal fatigue but haven't started it, yet, since it's not known if it's safe during pregnancy and my husband and are finally starting to try again. I don't know how old you are, but I'm 35 and really believe part of my problem is from perimenopause. My Mom finished menopause at 47 and says that looking back she had hormonal ups and downs starting at my age. I've been doing a ton of research trying to find answers to my symptoms and feeling of desperation that my life will never be normal again. What I've found is a lot of women having similar hormonal shifts, similar symptoms as my own and often a thyroid issue mixed in after giving birth and/or breastfeeding at a later age -- perhaps were just too close to the onset of perimenopuase so a baby really screws things up? I don't know, but it's been long, depressing road. I really don't know anything about viral thyroiditis, but I would imagine that stress/illness plays a major role in mixing up our hormones, so being very ill with a virus could certainly put you on that path. I hope you find some relief. Have you had any tests, yet? What are your symptoms? Take care.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:45 AM   #13
travelnlaughter
(female)

travelnlaughter HB User

I found my labs drawn on 12/22/09:
TSH: .927 (.45-4.5)
Free T3: 3.7 (2-4.4)
Free T4: 1.39 (.82-1.77)

Back in September my T4 was at .05% and my T3 at 30% and my TSH was 1.01 through one lab & .61 at another; it would seem that my thyroid is balancing out on its own (I haven't been taking any supplements specific to thyroid), but have been doing amino acid therapy to raise my seratonin levels which were rather low. Also taking D3, omega 3 fish oils, folic acid & just started extra B12. I definitely a lot of better now then I did even a month ago. I have also been diagnosed w/ adrenal fatigue based on a 24 hr cortisol test. I worry about why I still don't feel 100% & fabulous since these new labs look ideal.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #14
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think your adrenal fatigue may be the reason you don't feel fabulous yet. Your thyroid seems to be bouncing back but maybe these levels aren't exactly right for you yet either. Your FT3 is at 70% of its range but some need it even higher to feel good and if you've got AF then the T3 isn't reaching the cells like it should.

If you feel like you're making good progress without any thryoid hormone replacement then I would keep at what you're doing and see if things continue to improve. Try adding some magnesium citrate to your suppliments and see if that helps with the AF. Also did you check your ferritin levels lately?

Old 11-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #15
oldbury
(female)

oldbury HB User

Hi, I'm sorry to interrupt the thread but thread relating to this question has been closed with no real answers. I am looking for an answer regarding extreme fatigue/depression post period. I have been diagnosed with Hashimotos, Adrenal insufficiency and Hypoglycemia. Despite taking iron, progesterone, cortisol, armour, dietry, lifestyle changes and a myriad of other supplements things have not improved. Feeling of wellbeing slowly returns after ovulation only to crash again once period has ended. Can anyone help me?

Closed Thread