It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2009, 06:59 AM   #1
(female)

frenchie2 HB User
hairloss with thyroid

I have hypo for more than a year now and I am really worried about my hairloss. At the start my tsh was 13 and after taking levothyroxine it was 3 and after 4 and my last one was 5.6 so I decided to raise my dose from75 to 100 but still no results after 6 weeks.My hair is better not so coarse and softer ,but the hairloss is the same. My hair is so fine and I have lost half of my hair volume. My ferritin was at 27 but now after 4 months is at 150. What could be the problem and will it grow back?. I would love to find somebody with similar problem or any advice would be so welcome, I am desperate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: hairloss with thyroid

If low thyroid is the cause of your hair loss, it will stop and new hair will begin to fill in when your dose has been optimized for your needs. Clearly, your dose was not optimal or your TSH would have been no higher than about 1.0. You were right to increase your dose [I hope you asked your doctor first, though!], but it still may not be enough for the long term. And 6 weeks of the increased dose is very likely not long enough for changes to show. Hair grows slowly. First you have to stop the shedding; then regrowth will occur.

Keep after your doctor to increase your dose until your TSH is around 1. If hair loss doesn't stop then, you should investigate other causes. Iron anemia and low ferritin are prime causes other than thyroid disease.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2009, 06:01 AM   #3
(female)

frenchie2 HB User

Thank you very much for your answer,I does help me to follow the right pass.In England the doctors dont want to go below2.5 because it may cause some bone desease but I know in usa you have a new range as I have mentioned to my doctor.Do you have the same condition?, and if so where are you at now.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

If docs in the UK are worried about bone loss with a TSH below 2.5 then they are practicing in the dark ages. There are numerous studies that disprove this and a recent very compelling Norwegian study that shows that a TSH above 1.4 leads to a significant increase in heart disease and mortality in women. High TSH is very unhealthy in many other ways as well and your hair loss is just one of many unpleasant signs and symptoms of uncontrolled hypothyroidism.
Look up the Norway study and bring to your doc and work on getting that TSH lower. It's also a good idea to have your levels montiored with free T3 and free T4 tests as well since this is the actual amount of unbound hormones in your system. TSH is actually a pituitary function that can be affected by many other factors and many who are on good hormone replacement have a TSH suppressed well below nomal range (with very healthy bones!).
The main contributing factors to hair loss with being hypo are low levels of vitamin D and ferritin. Since you seem to have your ferritin levels well in hand, have you tested your D levels too? Also we are often low in magnesium and this can contribute to the loss as well and many other health problems. Magnesium citrate to bowel tolerance is highly recommended.
Hope this helps!

Last edited by javelina; 12-17-2009 at 11:11 AM.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
(female)

frenchie2 HB User

Thank you for your advice, I found them very useful. You would not believe how hard it is in England to have any test done. I've asked my doctor to check my T3 but turned me down but I will insist again the next time I see him.I will also share with him all the informations you gave me. I thinking going back to my country to have better medical care. Thanks again.

Closed Thread