It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Had surgery on Dec. 15th

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-16-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
Sher_A
(female)

Sher_A HB User
Had surgery on Dec. 15th

I had my surgery done on the 15th and was nervous as ever. I kept asking for something to help me calm down because I could feel my heart pounding. I guess they just put me out because I don't remember anyone talking to me or anything after. Seemed the surgery was over in a split second second although I heard it took two hours to come out of it.

My neck hurts something fierce. Even my jaws hurt. I wish doctors would stop telling me I am the only one in the whole world who hurts afterwards. Either that or they need to learn in medical school that not everyone has the same pain threshold. I spent the night of the 15th in the hospital, never saw the doctor afterward, but at least I was still kicking because all my vital signs were fine. To be perfectly honest I felt like I had been whacked across the throat with a ball bat. This is the second day and it still feels pretty bad.

I still haven't seen the doctor or talked to him. I understand that it was only necessary to remove the left half and that I may not need any new prescription fo make up for it. The only thing that one of the nurses told me was that I came through the surgery alright. I'd like to have been able to talk to the doctor to have all my if's, and's, and but's questions answered.

I am spending the second night in the hospital. I hope I won't have to sell my house to pay for it. I wanted to take my own maintenance medications like I do everyday but they wanted to give them to me instead. Why, probably because they cost $500 a pill.

Anyway now I almost feel like I have a lot of pflegm (sp?) and congestion where my left thyroid was, and it's very hard to shake it loose. Does anyone else have that problem? The more I try to cough and loosen it the worse I feel.

Now I wait to talk to the doctor and now I get to wait to see if th nodules were malignant, the sooner the better. I really want to put this behind me asap and forget about it. I'd like to hear something, you know?

The thing that really scared me is that my friend found the resident chaplain and brought him in to talk to me. The chaplain started talking to me about not to be afraid of having cancer. Walt a minute. I don't even know if I do or if I don't, and he said he puts peoples' minds to ease if they do. I told my friend I'd just about had enought of the cancer talk and didn't want to hear another thing about it unless it is an issue. I'm just not ready for that part yet. I swear if I ever have to go through surgery again, I am going by myself. I really think I would have been more at least ease by myself. Sigh. I hope I find out something tomorrow because I want to sleep in my own bed. Thanks for listening, I'll post the results when I know something.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
captain2
(male)

captain2 HB User
Re: Had surgery on Dec. 15th

I also had my surgery dec 15for a single hurthle cell nodule in the isthmus. I was told I needed isthmus and right loeb removed, but when the doctor openned me up he only took out isthmus and nothing else, what a supprise. My doctor did see me after surgery, My surgery was 8am and I went home the same day as long as I was able to to the bathroom and pea as anesthia effects men a differeent way especially if you a enlarged prostate. I almost had to stay. The nodule was nickle size and about 1.9 cm. the doctor told me that I still have 90% of my thyroid. which my doctor said that i would not meed any meds. I went into surgery 7:30 and was in recovery room 9am

I find that the 2nd day I am coughing a lot more which hurts a lot when I do cough and also have some phlem. I hope the coughing does not get worse My throat feel very sore. I have a 3 inch tape going across the center of my neck. I too am waiting for the final biospy of the tissue. neck is a little swollen but again it only hurts when I swallow. It seems that this surgery was much easier than my cervical disk and gaulbladder operation.

the tissue was sent to pathology and waiting to hear which makes me very nervous. You never know aboout hurthle cells.

Last edited by captain2; 12-16-2009 at 11:13 PM.

Closed Thread