It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

How long does it take to feel better after switching from Synthroid to Armour?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-18-2009, 03:01 AM   #1
tigger67
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User
How long does it take to feel better after switching from Synthroid to Armour?

I went from 100mcg Synthroid to 60mg of Armour. Felt tons worse after two weeks, so doc increased Armour to 90mg. Been on that for 4 days and feel just as bad. My neck feels very swollen and I'm having trouble breathing, I'm exhausted, my eyelids feel like lead, and overall I just feel like crap. The Armour is compounded but still uses the cellulose. My doc says it's not a big amount and he's had no problems with his other patients who take it, so maybe it's something else or I'm not on a high enough dose.

I'm getting so depressed and after two years of my friends hearing I feel bad and being antisocial, I'm so afraid I'm going to lose all my friends. I don't even look forward to waking up anymore because I know I'll feel like crap all day and have to still work full-time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2009, 05:41 AM   #2
Graves54
(female)

Graves54 HB User
Re: How long does it take to feel better after switching from Synthroid to Armour?

So sorry, you are now taking less T4 in the Armour. It contains only 38mcgs of T4, so your T4 will go down but T3 will go up.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:38 AM   #3
kindspirit
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User
Re: How long does it take to feel better after switching from Synthroid to Armour?

Hi Tigger, I switched from Synthroid to Nature-throid, I too was on 100. Several months ago I tried the switch in the middle of the shortage crapola, and I too, felt worse after a few days, on only 65mg. I upped to 1 1/2 felt better. Then back to Synthroid due to the shortages. Now I'm back on n/t again, 2 grains, I've had the flu so hard to say, but so far so good. I'm planning on upping again in a couple wks. You may just need an increase? I think it just takes some time for our bodies to adjust to the t-3 ? Plus splitting the dosing helps, I take 1 1/2 in the am and the other 1/2 around noonish. Good luck.
Hysterectomy

Old 12-18-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

I think you are still hypo, either your dose of Armour isn't high enough or you have other issues interfereing. One could be that you can't absorb the Armour because if its reformulation and high cellulose content, try switching to Naturethroid, Erfa from Canada or a compounded desiccated thyroid (and tell the compounding pharmacist not to use cellulose as a filler). Another reason could be high reverse T3 issues, have you had your RT3 checked? You said you have adrenal fatigue and unless that is addressed you will continue to have difficulties. Did you try a very slow and gradual dose of HC or did you start at a physiologic dose right off the bat? You might want to explore trying it again and take just a tiny amount and very, very slowly increase over the course of three weeks as is recommended by some who have had problems.
But try an increase up to 120 mg of the Armour first and recheck free T labs after about 4 weeks. 90 mg is not a high dose and many are on over double that before symptoms relieve. Make sure to have an RT3 done as well, this is a more common problem than was thought.

Last edited by javelina; 12-18-2009 at 07:42 AM.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
tigger67
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

Doesn't the T4 have to be high and the T3 low in order to have reverse T3 issues? Both of my levels have always been on the low side.

I had a saliva test done back in Feb. with Diagnostic Tech and it showed my cortisol was elevated throughout the entire day except between 4-5pm, so my chiro said it wasn't full blown adrenal fatigue yet, but who knows what it is by now. Back in Feb. I tried some herbal adrenal support, but it also lowered my blood sugar too much (I'm hypoglycemic), so I was actually feeling even worse and had to stop taking it. Other than my chiro, I've never had a regular doctor do anything for cortisol because I was seeing endos who only treat Addison's or Cushings.

I go for new labs next week so I'll see where everything is. My dr. says he's never had a patient complain of the cellulose in their compounded dessicated thyroid and the pharmacist where I get it made said he hasn't either, but that doesn't mean anything.

I'm definately still feeling major hypo symptoms. No period this month and still constipated among everything else.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #6
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Unfortunately Diagnos-tech has fallen out of favor with many because their results seem to be all over the place. My first saliva cortisol was through them and they showed my evening levels to be way off the charts, like 100 times the normal levels. I switched over the ZRT for my testing and their results seem to be more consistant. High cortisol can lead to RT3 issues, and it certainly did for me. I think I was able to bring mine down with magnesium supplimenting, I take magnesium citrate powder to bowel tolerance, about 350mg daily. It sure helps with the constipation too, finally relief from that decades long problem!

Labs won't necessarily show high FT4 with RT3 problems. In fact FT4 can be low or normal since it's converting to RT3 instead of T3. Mine never got terribly high but the more thyroid hormones I took the higher the FT3 levels got with very little relief of hypo symptoms. You are still pretty low dose with your replacement so it bears watching, it's very possible that just a simple dose increase will fix the hypo problem for you. But it doesn't hurt to have the RT3 lab done to see if the ratio of RT3 to FT3 is lower than it should be, which indicates high RT3.

Closed Thread