It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
(female)

mrgnaut HB User
TSH levels after thyroidectomy for cancer

I am a 36 (female) and had a total thyroidectomy due to paillary cancer about 6weeks ago. Prior to the thyroidectomy my thyroid panel was within normal limits. Right after surgery my dr started me on 100mcg of synthroid, I am also on calcium and vit. D due to one of my parathyroid glands being removed during the surgery as well. My TSH is 0.168 (range 0.400-4.000) and my Free T4 is 1.48 (range 0.89-1.76). I feel so anxious and fatigue at the sametime, the fatigue is almost unbearable. Also I have alot of heat/cold intolerance problems and just don't feel like my old self at all. My question is....with my TSH being at 0.168 will I need an increase in my synthroid or a decrease? Any help would be very appreciated. I am hoping my dr will call me after the holiday break and let me know where we go from here. I am also going to be taking the radioactive idoine in the near future and will have to stop my synthroid all together. For those of you that have been through the radioactive idoine and stopped your meds, would you please let me know the symptoms you experienced during that time. Again, any information is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: TSH levels after thyroidectomy for cancer

So sorry for your diagnosis.

I had pappillary 5 years ago, and just so you know, I'm fine with no lasting problems from the ordeal.

Are you sure you want to go off synthroid for your RAI treatment? I did years ago, but now thyrogen is a medication that raises your TSH for RAI treatment so you don't need to go off meds. It's just as effective and a lot more comfortable. If you can't go on thyrogen for some reason, another alternative is to go on cytomel up until 2 weeks prior to your treatment, then go on low iodine diet, and it's not too bad to go off for just 2 weeks---I was off for 5-6 weeks after my surgery, and it was kind of hard those last few weeks, but I got through it. It's the typical hypothyroid symptoms, severe fatigue, achey muscles, dryness, etc.

You will work with your doctor after RAI to keep your TSH suppressed---mine is kept at .05 range, and I feel pretty good.

Definitely talk to either your endo. or nuclear med place about thyrogen, because they have been using it in Europe for years with no problems, some american doctors don't trust it, but the statistics are good, and there's no reason to suffer for nothing.

Let us know how it all goes!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread