It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Anybody on here hypo with young children?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-28-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
ketter123
(male)

ketter123 HB User
Post Anybody on here hypo with young children?

Does anybody have advice on how to handle being a parent who is hypo? My wife and I are expecting our first, I am a supportive husband and want to get up with the baby and be there for my wife but I am worried about my stamina, I have enough trouble as it is getting up and managing work. I am worried about my stamina and it affecting my life, when fatigued, my brain fog, hair loss, depression, etc are worse.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
Paseo
(male)

Paseo HB User
Re: Anybody on here hypo with young children?

Well, I can tell you that I am in the process of being diagnosed hypo, possibly Hashimoto's. My last TSH was 4.541 but my GP refuses to do anything regardless of my symptoms. I will be seeing a doc on the 6th so hopefully...

I am a stay-at-home dad to my 4 children (2 bio, 2 foster) ages 6, 6, 5, and 4. I also work part time at night to make ends meet. I suspect that I have been hypo for many years and I tell you what, I could not get up to get the baby. I did a few times, but most nights I wouldn't even remember what was going on until the morning when I would ask my wife to be sure I wasn't dreaming.

I couldn't function very well back then either, but it wasn't as bad. My wife already knew what kind of sleeper I was. If I don't get at least 7 hours I am just plain mean and can't help it.

Do what you can, talk to your wife, and let her know what you are going through. Sometimes I get the feeling that my wife could care less what I am going through because she puts up with so much, but you have to at least communicate with her. After that, when you do have some energy, try to take over as much as you can to give her a break.

Try to give her a night off where she can go someplace and hang out with the girls or whatever it is she wants to do. Try to offer it and let her know you are there for her and your baby.

I used to have a lot more days that I was at least blah enough so that I could force myself to do things around the house. I still don't have enough energy to play with them the way I would like to, but I am hoping I will soon.

Let her know you love her and always will. Good luck to you, I know how hard it can be.

Last edited by Paseo; 12-28-2009 at 09:45 PM.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
AlexaIn2006
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Re: Anybody on here hypo with young children?

I have a 3.5 year old and she is a really good child. I do just fine because I only have one child. I am able to take a nap the same time she does each day at noon.

Closed Thread