It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Hypothyroid

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
maple262
(female)

maple262 HB User
Hypothyroid

I am 32 years old and just recently I was diagnosed with thyroid disease, fibromyalgea, obstructive sleep apnea, and carpul tunnel syndrom. I was told that I have a goiter on each side of my thyroid and each are 7mm!?! How big is that?? I also have been having severe hot flashes and dizzy spells to the point I am scared to drive. Is this normal? My doctor seems to brush it off like it is no big deal. My mother died when she was 38 from lung complications, so I am worried that I will follow in her footsteps. Should I be concerned and find another doctor or should I just take her advice and chill our?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
Paseo
(male)

Paseo HB User
Re: Hypothyroid

Is your doctor suggesting any treatment for the thyroid condition? I have yet to be diagnosed but I have a swollen neck and I get hot flashes, cold flashes, and dizzy spells. At times these leave me dry heaving and I have even vomitted once. I was driving home from my friends house and was dry heaving on the way. Also, I have noticed I get confused easily. It is no fun especially when you have to drive, but I just pay extra attention.

Chilling out is never a bad idea , but it is easier said than done especially when we feel the way we do. What tests has your doctor run? If you have the results post them here and there are plenty that can help you with them to see if you are getting adequate attention.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:25 AM   #3
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

I would tell your doctor to "chill out" and then walk out of his office forever. He should be testing your hormone levels and adjusting your meds to relieve your symptoms instead of brushing you off. Do you have any recent labs to post here? What meds are you currently on? The 7mm goiters aren't too large-- yet and good hormone replacement may shrink them as goiters are often the thyroid's response to being hypo.

BTW, I've got all the same diagnosis that you have and I'm convinced it all stems from my long untreated hypothyroidism and adrenal fatigue. I'm seeing some improvement as I slowly work on getting my thyroid and adrenal issues under control. Hopefully with good treatment you will see the same, but not if you allow your doc to keep you undertreated. We often have to be our own best advocates with this disease.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
maple262
(female)

maple262 HB User

The last test I had ran my T4 level was 84.2. She put me on Synthroid 112 and told me to come back in Feb. I just feel terrible all of the time. When I get more results I will post them. Thanks!!

Old 12-31-2009, 08:37 PM   #5
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Insist on getting your free T3 and free T4 tested, the total T4 is pretty much a useless test. The free T hormone tests will tell you the actual levels of unbound thyroid hormones and these are what are important.

Closed Thread