It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8
ruby74 HB User
Night sweats, general high temp feeling on levothyroxin

I have been taking levothyroxin for 7 months now. Does not matter which dose i am on (25 mc OR now the 50 mcg), my inner body thermometer seems to be set to high even though my real temp. ain't elevated.

During the summer i blamed it on the weather being so nice..but now in the winter.....I don't even have to really turn on the heather at night event hough its -10 Celcius outside...LOL.

My last bloodwork has been normal-no indication of being -hyper? Is this a general side effect of levothyroxin? (I am on brand name levothyroxin, NOT generic).


thanks.

 
Old 01-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 12,171
midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Night sweats, general high temp feeling on levothyroxin

Levothyroxine is not a brand, it is generic. In the US, the brand names of levothyroxine are Synthroid, Levoxyl, Levothroid, and Unithroid. (I have the sense that you are not in the US. If you are in England or Australia, I think there are no brand names, just generic levothyroxine... but I'm not positive about that.)

There are no side effects per se to levoT. Any negative effects are almost always related to dosage issues, either too much or too little. Could it be that you were used to feeling cold all the time before your thyroid was treated, so that now you feel abnormally warm? Could it also be that you keep your bedroom too warm at night? My friend just figured out that was the source of her night sweats, after her doctor suggested it. She now sleeps in lighter weight nightwear and with less blankets.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-02-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8
ruby74 HB User
Re: Night sweats, general high temp feeling on levothyroxin

Yes, I'm in Europe. My thyroid medication is actually called LT and its by Sanofi-Aventis. It is BRAND.

I ruled out every other possibility that would make me feel sweating or hot at night. My heather is OFF at night at -10 Celcius (as previously mentioned)....my blanket is actually meant for summer...very light. There really are NO other possibilities for THIS. And as i mentioned, it all started when i started taking LT.

Levothyroxin can have side effects..NOT only dosing-issues. Remember, there are other ingredients in thyroid meds too besides levothyroxin.

I'm 100 percent positive the night sweats and general feeling of high temp (without actually having high temps) IS definitely from the thyroid med.

Just wanted to see if there are any others who have experienced this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Levothyroxine is not a brand, it is generic. In the US, the brand names of levothyroxine are Synthroid, Levoxyl, Levothroid, and Unithroid. (I have the sense that you are not in the US. If you are in England or Australia, I think there are no brand names, just generic levothyroxine... but I'm not positive about that.)

There are no side effects per se to levoT. Any negative effects are almost always related to dosage issues, either too much or too little. Could it be that you were used to feeling cold all the time before your thyroid was treated, so that now you feel abnormally warm? Could it also be that you keep your bedroom too warm at night? My friend just figured out that was the source of her night sweats, after her doctor suggested it. She now sleeps in lighter weight nightwear and with less blankets.

 
Old 01-02-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,361
AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: Night sweats, general high temp feeling on levothyroxin

I don't think it is because of your medication...But you are the one that counts so if you think it is the thyroid medicine then change to a different brand. Or get yourself a fan for the nighttime sweats.

 
Old 01-03-2010, 08:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 12,171
midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Night sweats, general high temp feeling on levothyroxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby74 View Post
Yes, I'm in Europe. My thyroid medication is actually called LT and its by Sanofi-Aventis. It is BRAND.
Alrighty, then... You didn't say that. You said you are taking levothyroxine.

Quote:
Levothyroxin can have side effects..NOT only dosing-issues. Remember, there are other ingredients in thyroid meds too besides levothyroxin.
No, that actually isn't so. LevoT is the only active ingredient. The other ones are inert... Fillers to create enough bulk to create a measurable amount of levoT to put into a dose, and binders that adhere them together in pill form. These binders and fillers can sometimes create allergic symptoms in vulnerable people, but they aren't very likely capable of causing night sweats. If they do, you can always switch brands to one that contains different inert substances that won't cause the allergic reaction.

Quote:
I'm 100 percent positive the night sweats and general feeling of high temp (without actually having high temps) IS definitely from the thyroid med.
It seems that if I were to say it could be due to the fluctuation of your body's hormone levels caused by the onset of your thyroid treatment and not from the replacement preparation itself that it wouldn't mean much to you. But that's my opinion.

Quote:
Just wanted to see if there are any others who have experienced this.
I must have missed that. Going by what you wrote, it seemed that the sweating was your main concern.

 
Old 01-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8
ruby74 HB User
Re: Night sweats, general high temp feeling on levothyroxin

Sorry, i've been a bit harsh there...you were just trying to give me some help and advice and I've been rude....my sincere apologies! Just so frustrated with the treatment and my endo.

Yes, I agree, maybe it is my body (Hormones) trying to get adjusted etc. Do you think it can take THAT long though to adjust (7 months now with the sweating &feeling like I turned into a heater)...

Thanks!


Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Alrighty, then... You didn't say that. You said you are taking levothyroxine.

No, that actually isn't so. LevoT is the only active ingredient. The other ones are inert... Fillers to create enough bulk to create a measurable amount of levoT to put into a dose, and binders that adhere them together in pill form. These binders and fillers can sometimes create allergic symptoms in vulnerable people, but they aren't very likely capable of causing night sweats. If they do, you can always switch brands to one that contains different inert substances that won't cause the allergic reaction.

It seems that if I were to say it could be due to the fluctuation of your body's hormone levels caused by the onset of your thyroid treatment and not from the replacement preparation itself that it wouldn't mean much to you. But that's my opinion.

I must have missed that. Going by what you wrote, it seemed that the sweating was your main concern.

Last edited by ruby74; 01-04-2010 at 09:37 AM.

 
Old 01-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 12,171
midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Night sweats, general high temp feeling on levothyroxin

No offense taken, Sweaty. I know it's frustrating.

What you need to know to determine if you're being optimally treated are your free levels of T4 and T3. Most doctors dose according to TSH alone, but that's a very inaccurate method. TSH is only an indirect indicator of what your pituitary thinks your thyroid is doing. But if your levoT is not optimizing your FT4/FT3, TSH is absolutely moot. In general, your FT4/FT3 should be at least 50% of their ranges, and for most women, slightly higher in the 70% range. Most MDs consider bottom-range levels to be adequate, but they are definitely not.

So... Do you know what labs your MD uses to determine your dose? You can post them - with their reference ranges - to get a better idea of how you're doing.

 
Old 01-06-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8
ruby74 HB User
Re: Night sweats, general high temp feeling on levothyroxin

Heehee.

I looked at my last labs. Free t3 and free t4 are always taken at the same time TSH is checked (at least me endo is doing that).

Back then i took Euthyrox (also brand) but only 43,7 mcg. The "sweating"..or general "I'm feeling hot...." already even started with only 25 mcg. I just didn't realize it before it came from the thyroid med, cause it was summer.


ft3 5,00 pmol/L Norm: 3,1-6,8) 51.35%
ft4 18,7 pmol/L Norm: 12-22) 67.00 %

TSH 0,575 Norm:0,17-2,5


Now I'm taking LT from Sanofi-Aventis, and hoping the Percentages moved a little closer together.

See, my diagnosis was made based on my ft3 always being higher than ft3. They were ALL within range always, BUT the percentages sometimes where as far apart as ft3 being at 90% and ft 4 at 45%.

I just don't know if all my symptoms I had before come from the thyroid alone. I do have major hair loss, and an abnormal amount of sebum production on scalp and SKIN . Androstendion is sometimes slightly elevated, before that it was the DHEAS or the testosterone, but not terribly high--maybe by 2 points. Other days they are all back within normal range?!?! I know the thyroid can affect male hormones in rare cases, I just don't know HOW...

I guess i should have my endo check my Androgens again. Even though PCOS and all other diseases involved with high androgens ahve been ruled out.

 
Old 01-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #9
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: allen park, michigan, usa
Posts: 167
sudo59 HB User
Re: Night sweats, general high temp feeling on levothyroxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby74 View Post
Heehee.

I looked at my last labs. Free t3 and free t4 are always taken at the same time TSH is checked (at least me endo is doing that).

Back then i took Euthyrox (also brand) but only 43,7 mcg. The "sweating"..or general "I'm feeling hot...." already even started with only 25 mcg. I just didn't realize it before it came from the thyroid med, cause it was summer.


ft3 5,00 pmol/L Norm: 3,1-6,8) 51.35%
ft4 18,7 pmol/L Norm: 12-22) 67.00 %

TSH 0,575 Norm:0,17-2,5


Now I'm taking LT from Sanofi-Aventis, and hoping the Percentages moved a little closer together.

See, my diagnosis was made based on my ft3 always being higher than ft3. They were ALL within range always, BUT the percentages sometimes where as far apart as ft3 being at 90% and ft 4 at 45%.

I just don't know if all my symptoms I had before come from the thyroid alone. I do have major hair loss, and an abnormal amount of sebum production on scalp and SKIN . Androstendion is sometimes slightly elevated, before that it was the DHEAS or the testosterone, but not terribly high--maybe by 2 points. Other days they are all back within normal range?!?! I know the thyroid can affect male hormones in rare cases, I just don't know HOW...

I guess i should have my endo check my Androgens again. Even though PCOS and all other diseases involved with high androgens ahve been ruled out.
just an fyi, I'm hot all the time too! I take 75mcg of Synthroid and 25mcg's of Cytomel daily and I could heat my house with the way I feel! I feel your frustration...

 
Old 01-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,256
javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Night sweats, general high temp feeling on levothyroxin

Have you ever tested your adrenal function with saliva cortisol testing? I'm not sure if it's available in Europe or not but it's the most sensitive way to test for adrenal fatigue. Your sex hormone fluctuations and higher free T lab ranges with symptoms may be a result of AF.
Another possible issue might be high reverse T3 or thyroid hormone resistance, which is usually caused by adrenal problems, dieting and/or low ferritin or B12 levels. Again, not sure if the labs are available where you live but a RT3 and FT3 might give you some information about this.

 
Old 01-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #11
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8
ruby74 HB User
Re: Night sweats, general high temp feeling on levothyroxin

Yes, i had an ACTH Stimulation test done before as well as a Dexamethason-suppression test, both normal. As a matter fact, my cortisol is rather on the high end but never above any levels. Saliva testing is i think available..but only a very few Drs. do it. Doubt my endo will test it since the serum levels were okay. (I really need to own my own little laboratory...that would be fantastic..hahaha).

I will check into the ferritin and B12 though. I had low levels last time the ferritin was checked. It was at 23 ng..it definitely should be at least 40...need to take more iron supplement even though they give me stomach pain....

I have an appointment next week with my endo. I'll see what he has to say. Hope he has some time for me and takes me serious....*sigh*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelina View Post
Have you ever tested your adrenal function with saliva cortisol testing? I'm not sure if it's available in Europe or not but it's the most sensitive way to test for adrenal fatigue. Your sex hormone fluctuations and higher free T lab ranges with symptoms may be a result of AF.
Another possible issue might be high reverse T3 or thyroid hormone resistance, which is usually caused by adrenal problems, dieting and/or low ferritin or B12 levels. Again, not sure if the labs are available where you live but a RT3 and FT3 might give you some information about this.

 
Old 01-07-2010, 07:55 AM   #12
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8
ruby74 HB User
Re: Night sweats, general high temp feeling on levothyroxin

Isn't it terrible...i feel exactly the same way...No heater needed. I am a glowing heater myself...Could run around in shorts and t-shirt at -10 Celcius...ha! Hope this doesn't last forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudo59 View Post
just an fyi, I'm hot all the time too! I take 75mcg of Synthroid and 25mcg's of Cytomel daily and I could heat my house with the way I feel! I feel your frustration...

 
Old 01-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,256
javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Night sweats, general high temp feeling on levothyroxin

The target range for ferritin is 70-90 so you really need to take the iron. The usual tests like ACTH Stim, etc do not test for adrenal fatigue, just Addison's or Cushings. They aren't sensitive to detect the fluctuations that AF has. Maybe there are some online suppliers of saliva cortisol testing where you are. Also high cortisol from AF is a major cause of high reverse T3 levels.

 
Old 04-19-2011, 06:52 AM   #14
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: columbiana ohio
Posts: 1
rebbiegirl12 HB User
Unhappy Re: Night sweats, general high temp feeling on levothyroxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby74 View Post
I have been taking levothyroxin for 7 months now. Does not matter which dose i am on (25 mc OR now the 50 mcg), my inner body thermometer seems to be set to high even though my real temp. ain't elevated.

During the summer i blamed it on the weather being so nice..but now in the winter.....I don't even have to really turn on the heather at night event hough its -10 Celcius outside...LOL.

My last bloodwork has been normal-no indication of being -hyper? Is this a general side effect of levothyroxin? (I am on brand name levothyroxin, NOT generic).


thanks.

 
Old 04-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: thyroidtrouble
Posts: 326
azuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB Userazuree HB User
Re: Night sweats, general high temp feeling on levothyroxin

Ruby--Oftentimes hypothyroidism will develop at the time of female hormonal changes. So, I am wondering perhaps if your night sweats are related to such changes rather than the thyroid med.
Do you think this could be your situation?
You could have your dr. check your hormones to see if something is going on there.
Azuree

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Night sweats...and sweating in general when HYPO rockrat71 Thyroid Disorders 3 09-16-2009 11:16 AM
night sweats & hot flashes neveragain444 Women's Health 0 08-18-2009 06:22 AM
Night/day sweats...help dolejaly Thyroid Disorders 2 05-25-2009 01:50 PM
Night sweats & low body temp...??? Confused elizleigh Women's Health 1 08-08-2008 02:35 PM
3 y.o. with low tempurature and cold night sweats?? dray0830 Children's Health 1 01-17-2007 07:08 PM

Tags
levothyroxin



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Armour
Cytomel
Levothroid
Levoxyl
Potassium
  Synthroid
Tapazole
Unithroid
Xanax
Zoloft




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



sammy64 (666), midwest1 (618), FinnMaid (302), Reece (220), lisa789 (196), Tree Frog (80), mkgbrook (72), cd37 (56), Bran'sNana (44), ladybud (41)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1136), MSJayhawk (941), Apollo123 (856), janewhite1 (823), Titchou (770), Gabriel (743), ladybud (667), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (655), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:58 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Copyright and Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!