It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Stopped Cytomel......appointment tomorrow....thoughts??

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
hopalong_too
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User
Stopped Cytomel......appointment tomorrow....thoughts??

Here is a recap of my previous labs......

Quote:
July
TSH 1.08 (.45-4.5)
FT4 .79 (.61-1.76) 15.65% of range
FT3 2.7 (2.3-4.2) 21.05% of range

October 2
TSH .904 (.45-4.5)
FT4 .7 (.61-1.76) 7.8% of range
FT3 2.5 (2.3-4.2) 10.52% of range

Still on the same meds 37.5 Synthroid and 15 Cytomel
New Labs end of October (and they changed the reference range)

TSH .56 (.45-4.5)
FT4 L .82 (.93-1..71) No % because below range
FT3 2.8 (2.0-4.4) 33.33%

So because the Cytomel lowers the FT4, the doctor says my labs are PERFECT. No change in meds.
I had a long talk with my GP at the beginning of December due to these labs:

Dec. 9/09
TSH .643 (.45-4.5)
FT4 .76 LOW (.93-1.71)
FT3 2.6 (2-4.4)

They (GP and Endo) were not willing to up my meds as they said that the Cytomel lowers the FT4.....and I believed them BUT......I said, ENOUGH! I need to feel better so we agreed to stop the Cytomel (15mcg) and up the Synthroid from 37.5 to 88mcg.

These are my new labs:
TSH 3.02 (.45-4.5)
FT4 1.14 (.93-1.71)
FT3 2.9 (2-4.4)

So for the FIRST TIME EVER my TSH has gone above 3!! The FT4 and FT3 have risen a tiny bit! The doctor will address my high cholesterol but I believe it will correct if I can just get on the right dosage of Synthroid. Do you think I should still fight for an increase again tomorrow. I am still fighting HypoT symptoms (especially the joint pain)!! I have only been on this changed dosage (Synthroid only) for about 2 weeks but that is long enough for the Cytomel to be gone. I have also started Vitamin D (50,000IU twice weekly) again as my levels were too low and my calcium level is already creeping up......it is at 10.5 (8.5-10.5). It went high the last time I took the Vitamin D.

Any thoughts...please....on the dosage? I do not want to switch to an armour type product at this time but would like to get the Synthroid dosage optimal......Hoppy

Last edited by hopalong_too; 01-03-2010 at 10:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2010, 06:22 AM   #2
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Stopped Cytomel......appointment tomorrow....thoughts??

I guess I don't understand why you cut out the T3. Just because your T4 levels were low really doesn't mean much symptom-wise, T4 is a storage hormone and it's the T3 levels that need to go up to relieve your symptoms.

I think the reason you weren't feeling better on your T3 and T4 was because your dose wasn't raised high enough to relieve your symptoms. Your FT3 and FT4 were stuck at the bottom of their ranges and the only way to get them up is to raise the dose. 15mcg of T3 and 37.5 of T4 is a pretty itty bitty dose for anyone and you were stuck in hypo-land as a result. It's possible that going higher with the T4-only may work (just as raising both the T3 and T4 would have) as long as you can convert T4 well and don't have any underlying adrenal or reverse T3 issues going on but it's early yet and T4 takes several weeks to build in your system. All you can do is wait and see and realize that the 88mcg you are currently on may not be enough yet. Also since your TSH is climbing, this indicates you may be going more hypo.

I recommend you switch from that 50,000 iu D2 over to some D3. D2 is not the best way to replace your vitamin D levels and is (IMHO) a pharmaceutical company rip-off. You can get 2000 or higher iu D3 at any drugstore (or a prescription for 10,000 iu D3) and it is more bioidentical and may have less effect on your calcium levels. I had below-range D levels and took 6000 iu of D3 daily and after 6 months my levels were at a healthy level. Also have you checked your ferritin?

Old 01-04-2010, 07:37 AM   #3
Oleander53
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Get a 2nd opinion if you can. You need your meds raised. Oleander

Old 01-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
hopalong_too
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Javelina, The Cytomel was stopped because the doctor says it only works for a short time (a few hours) and then levels drop but my levels never went up at all. The doctor DID say the FT3 is in the toilet. She said we have to get the TSH down. When taking both Synthroid and Cytomel my TSH was always low but the FT4 and FT3 were low as well! Now that I have stopped the Cytomel, the FT's have come up a bit and the TSH has gone up which prompted the doctor to raise the dose.......what I have been asking for all along (she even commented on that). The dose was raised from 88mcg to 100mcg daily and I have another blood test in two weeks. Today was a very relaxed and unhurried visit and I am so pleased with the outcome.

Thanks to you too, Oleander, for your reply.

Last edited by hopalong_too; 01-04-2010 at 04:35 PM.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:45 AM   #5
vince10
(male)

vince10 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopalong_too View Post
Javelina, The Cytomel was stopped because the doctor says it only works for a short time (a few hours) and then levels drop but my levels never went up at all. The doctor DID say the FT3 is in the toilet. She said we have to get the TSH down. When taking both Synthroid and Cytomel my TSH was always low but the FT4 and FT3 were low as well! Now that I have stopped the Cytomel, the FT's have come up a bit and the TSH has gone up which prompted the doctor to raise the dose.......what I have been asking for all along (she even commented on that). The dose was raised from 88mcg to 100mcg daily and I have another blood test in two weeks. Today was a very relaxed and unhurried visit and I am so pleased with the outcome.

Thanks to you too, Oleander, for your reply.
Cytomel is suppose to stay in body for 7 hours. I called the makers of Cytomel and asked them about this. I was told that even though the drug has a short life in the body, the metabolic effect continues through out the day. I have been on some sort of thyroisd med since 1992. I had side effects from Synthroid after years of taking it. My numbers were good, all in the range, but I still felt like crap. When I took Cytomel alone, my numbers were under the acceptable range but I felt much better than I did on Synthroid. I tried several doctors and some have never heard of Cytomel or Armour. I was astonished.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:06 AM   #6
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

There are many people who take Cytomel or T3 only and do just fine. There is some controversy about whether to multi dose during the day or not, some say they dose it 4 times a day, others twice and some do it only once. I think it may more depend on how well you absorb the hormone when taking orally and perhaps some other individual factors. I'm currently dosing 4 times to see if I can get my RT3 cleared out.
Well supported adrenals are also important if going onto T3.

Closed Thread