It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

please anyone answer this ..... help needed about cortisol am test

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
monamae
(female)

monamae HB User
Exclamation please anyone answer this ..... help needed about cortisol am test

my endo has ordered a cortisol am test...... with me taking a steriod pill at 11 pm the night before....does anyone know why the pill is needed?? and with stress my cortisol is whacked anyway, right??? my stress is over the TOP..... i am scared to take steriods....
please , any advice is so greatly appreciated....
mona

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
noevr
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: please anyone answer this ..... help needed about cortisol am test

hi, its probalby cortef? or hydrocortisone? its a natural steriod and just one pill is no big deal. She's just trying to see what your adrenal glands are doing. I had to go to the hospital and have it injected in my veins and then have bloodwork drawn at .5 and 1.5 hr intervals. good luck and let us know ur results. Cathy

Old 01-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

I don't think you'll get much from that test. If you have adrenal fatigue one am blood draw won't be adequate to test for it (you need a 24 hr saliva cortisol test) and if you take hydrocortisone (HC) the night before it will show artificially high levels anyway. I've never heard of this method and it seems designed to show "normal" results. Generally doctors adminster ACTH for an ACTH Stimulation test to check for adrenal insufficiency or Addison's disease (which is not the same as adrenal fatigue)
If you do have adrenal fatigue the treatment is to go on HC at a physiologic dose to replace what your adrenals would normally produce. This is completely safe and a far lower dose than the higher therapeutic doses we all have heard of for steroids that cause many side effects. Also if your adrenals are exhausted and not producing enough cortisol then your health suffers because we all need cortisol for basic functioning and would die without it. But again, I don't think this test you are describing is going to be the one to properly diagnose you.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:00 AM   #4
monamae
(female)

monamae HB User

i agree...... my basic symptoms are just feeling blah *tired* all the time.....the same as when i first found out i was hypo..... i did get my med upped.... i was on 75 mcg of unithroid, now on 88 mcg of synthroid....... and a plus side..... i am not gaining anymore weight...... but still feel blah.... i dont have insurance... * a huge problem here* with the upped dosage i do see some improvement...... i dont sleep till noon on my days off....... but i am still lacking energy in afternoons...... bedtime is 8 pm IF i can make it that long..... and i dont sleep worth a flip....... one thing i have not had checked in a yr and a half is my hormones..... *ie: for menopause* ... i had a partial hysto about 8 yrs ago........ ovaries still intact....

mona.....
ps......thank you for your help

Last edited by monamae; 01-05-2010 at 04:01 AM.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Not having insurance is a problem, you really should get some good labs done to see what your levels are. If you're paying out of pocket you may want to look at some online labs to see if they are more competitive than the labs your doc would order (these tend to be outragiously high in price and designed for insurance coverage). See about getting your free T3, free T4 and ferritin levels tested at least to see how these are. It's good to get the thyroid and adrenal issues sorted out before worrying too much about the sex hormones.

Closed Thread