It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Fine needle biospy tomorrow

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
Suncat54
(female)

Suncat54 HB User
Fine needle biospy tomorrow

I am new here but not new to thyroid issues. I had a ultrasound last week and it came back and two nodules on the right had grown enough for my endo to order a biopsy. A nodule on my left side had gone away.
I am so nervous about this. I have read that this can give false readings, in other words it could be negative and actually end up being cancer. Or vice versa. I have Hashimoto's. I take 50 mcg of Levothyroxine and 5mcg of Cytomel daily. My TSH was .669 last month. In June it was 1.28. I know something is a miss as I have trouble sleeping, night sweats and feel tired more often than not. My endo wants me to see about my progesterone levels since my TSH labs look very good. In other words, it can't be my thyroid. It has to be something else.
I had a friend who had her thyroid removed after she refused the biopsy and it did come back as cancerous. She kept on her doctor to remove it and she was glad they finally conceded. Any thoughts on the biopsy? Will it be uncomfortable? Like I said I am nervous.
~Cathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2010, 05:13 AM   #2
Reece
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Fine needle biospy tomorrow

It's not that they give false readings, it's that they only get a small sample of cells, so they don't give the full picture of the nodules, so the best indicator is removal and doing a full biopsy, but you don't just want to do that for the heck of it.

If you have hashis, it's likely that the hashis has caused the nodules.

My fna, I sat in a chair, it was some needle sticks, not a big deal, just uncomfortable, and then a little sore for a few days.

Let us know how it goes!

Old 01-05-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
Suncat54
(female)

Suncat54 HB User

Thank you for your reply. Everything went well. they ended up only doing a biopsy on one nodule. The other nodule was just a typical spot that a person with Hashi's would have on their thyroid. He explained to me that mine would be more grainy than a normal one. My neck has a bruised spot and a little tender but nothing I can't handle. Now let's hope the results are benign.
~Cathy

Old 01-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #4
rosequartz
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I thought with Hashi's it's common to have a multi-nodular goiter which is usually "not worrysome" according to my ENT

Old 01-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
robindylewski
(female)

robindylewski HB User

Be careful... don't trust the fine needle biopsy. I had that done and it came back non cancerous. We went ahead and scheduled surgery to remove the growing nodule and once they went in and removed the left side and closed me up, the lab came back cancer. They had to reopen me up 3 weeks later to the day and take the right side as well. And all along, the needle biopsy came back negative. I'm really not trying to scare you, I just don't trust that procedure.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
Suncat54
(female)

Suncat54 HB User

Yes I am aware of this. I can only do one step at a time. I will wait on the results and go from there. Thank you for your insight.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
Suncat54
(female)

Suncat54 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz View Post
I thought with Hashi's it's common to have a multi-nodular goiter which is usually "not worrysome" according to my ENT
It is common but mine had taken a growth spurt that caused my doctor concern enough to order the biopsy.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
Stressed2
(female)

Stressed2 HB User

Hi Suncat54, I do not know if you will get htis prior to the biopsy, but I just recently experienced a fine needle biopsy as well after a cat scan revelaed a mass on my jugular. I had alot of anxiety over it and I must say that it was not as bad as I thought it would be. I did ask my doctor for something for the anxiety to take the morning of, and a layered on the cream the give you - probably way to much, but hey, it made me feel better! I also have Hashimoto's and have been dealing withthe same symptoms for some time. I am actually scheduled for surgery this coming tuesday 1/12 for a thyroidectomy and am hopeful that removal of it plus some new meds can finally get my fatigue and heat flashes, etc...resolved since all of my levels have been pretty normal. I wish you all the best and hope the biopsy was not too bad, I think just the thought of it is scarier than it actually is.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:06 AM   #9
Suncat54
(female)

Suncat54 HB User

Thank you Stressed2! I did have it and it wasn't anything I couldn't endure. So now just waiting on results. I hope your surgery n the 12th goes well and your recovery is successful. I will post my results when I get them.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:25 AM   #10
Suncat54
(female)

Suncat54 HB User

The doctor's office called this morning to say my biopsy was negative. They will follow up with another ultrasound in 6 months' to a year. I have a regular checkup in June. Thanks for all your input.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:30 AM   #11
rosequartz
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

YAY!!! great news! now you can breathe a sign of relief!

Old 01-07-2010, 10:10 AM   #12
Suncat54
(female)

Suncat54 HB User

Now this is the way to start off the new year with good news!

Old 01-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #13
rosequartz
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncat54 View Post
Now this is the way to start off the new year with good news!

yes ma'am....and may your good luck continue throughout the year and beyond!

Old 01-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #14
Mom Of Jennifer
(female)

Mom Of Jennifer HB User

I insisted my surgeon do actual surgery rather than the biopsy on my thyroid and all he did when he went in was to take a sample anyway. Long story, BUT he told me it was negative for Cancer BUT when they did the gross pathology, it was Cancer. I would NEVER trust a needle biopsy. I will tell you however, this happened to me 25 years ago and I have been fine since. They removed the entire gland, but I was so angry to have had to beg to have surgery rather than needle biopsy. I think I would definatly get a second opinion. Good luck.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:01 AM   #15
Suncat54
(female)

Suncat54 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom Of Jennifer View Post
I insisted my surgeon do actual surgery rather than the biopsy on my thyroid and all he did when he went in was to take a sample anyway. Long story, BUT he told me it was negative for Cancer BUT when they did the gross pathology, it was Cancer. I would NEVER trust a needle biopsy. I will tell you however, this happened to me 25 years ago and I have been fine since. They removed the entire gland, but I was so angry to have had to beg to have surgery rather than needle biopsy. I think I would definatly get a second opinion. Good luck.
Thank you for your reply, I have heard this scenerio on this forum and from a friend who had the same deal. She insisted on having her removed and refused the biopsy. Her thyroid was found cancerous too. Could you explain what a gross pathology entails?
~Cathy

Closed Thread