It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Any ideas!!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-2010, 06:54 AM   #1
Hayle
(female)

Hayle HB User
Any ideas!!

I have an under active thyroid, i was diagnosed a year ago, before being diagnosed i put on a load of weight was depressed cold and tired all the time.
Now the docs have sorted my meds out i fell 100% better but am still having a problem shifting the weight, the docs have upped my meds more than they should be just to get my metabolism going, i just wondered if anyone had any ideas on how to get the weight off. Im also trying to conceiveand would like to lose some weight before i fall.
Many thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
JennaS
(female)

JennaS HB User
Re: Any ideas!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle View Post
I have an under active thyroid, i was diagnosed a year ago, before being diagnosed i put on a load of weight was depressed cold and tired all the time.
Now the docs have sorted my meds out i fell 100% better but am still having a problem shifting the weight, the docs have upped my meds more than they should be just to get my metabolism going, i just wondered if anyone had any ideas on how to get the weight off. Im also trying to conceiveand would like to lose some weight before i fall.
Many thanks
Hi Hayle,

You might consider the DASH diet. It is recommended by the National Heart Institute and it is a fairly easy eating plan to follow. You also may consider following it with the salt reduction plan. It is recommended for those with high blood pressure. Too much salt also contributes to weight gain. This diet is a healthy plan/option. You should be able to look it up online.

Best Wishes for you and your furture baby

Old 01-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Now the docs have sorted my meds out i fell 100% better but am still having a problem shifting the weight, the docs have upped my meds more than they should be just to get my metabolism going
This statement is scary. Thyroid med should never be used as a weight control option, and keeping you overmedicated will damage your bones over the long haul.

You may be "overmedicated" only in this MD's mind, however. Unless your free levels of T4 and T3 are excessive, you aren't overmedicated at all and may in fact be still undermedicated. Many MDs have no clue about how to treat this disease. Yours be one of them.

If your MD doses according to TSH alone, you are not being dosed as accurately as you could be. If you have lab results for TSH, T3 and T4, please post them so we can tell you more. Be sure to include the lab range for each value.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
KittyLove
Veteran
(female)

KittyLove HB User

I totally agree with Midwest...increasing your dosage for weight loss? I don't have the words to explain how wrong that is... it just is.

Are you taking Synthroid? I started out on Synthroid, and I was told that "The excess weight will now start falling off". Guess what? It didn't. In fact I gained more weight. After four months and still being overweight, I was then told "Well, like I tell all my Synthroid patients, you can't keep blaming Synthroid for your weight problems." Nice try, but I KNOW my body, and something is definitely not right. It turns out, after gathering all of my past thyroid data, that I've been hypothyroid for at least five years. So my point is: While unknowingly being hypo, I had maintained a healthy weight, BUT since starting Synthroid I've gained weight.

I have just recently switched to a natural hormone (it's compounded), and within eight days my hair has stopped falling out, so I am very optimistic that I have made the right decision to stray from the "gold standard". That is what my MD calls Synthroid. I'm convinced that our MD's are programmed to dish out and sell out to big pharm. (I'm now seeing a natural doctor).

Last edited by KittyLove; 01-08-2010 at 02:03 AM.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:57 AM   #5
reba1985
(female)

reba1985 HB User

I too did awful on synthroid after my TT. I have been on westhroid for about 6 weeks
and feel great. I hope the weight issue will also improve. I gained about 10 pounds
in the last year since surgery on top of the 15 that I had put on with this undiagnosed
thyroid issue.
Also, the point you made about hair loss was true for me too. My hair loss doubled
within about a week or so on synthroid. It is definitely not for everyone. My doctor
didn't think that the synthoid caused any of my problems either but (thankfully!)
she let me try westhroid and I am feeling very good..hair loss is at a minumum and
energy is good!

Last edited by reba1985; 01-08-2010 at 06:58 AM.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:11 AM   #6
Hayle
(female)

Hayle HB User

Hey guys thanks for your replies.
I dont know any of my t3 and t4 stuff the docs have never told me, they just said my thyroid is under active and i should be taknig 75mg of thyroixine but they have upped it to 100mg to get metabolism going.
Could i find out all this stuff at the doctors.
When they found out it was underactive they said it was very underactive an were surprised at the small dose of thyroxine it took to get my levels ok

Closed Thread