It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

I need your help---Low T3, Normal TSH and T4

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
val52
(female)

val52 HB User
I need your help---Low T3, Normal TSH and T4

Hi,

I am a newbie to this board, but not one to feeling not like myself. Anyway, I have gained weight or having trouble losing 20 pounds since a miscarriage last year. Prior to, I was very lean and fit. Actually, I went back and looked at some old journals and I cheated a lot and maintained a level of fitness.

Now I barely cheat and am a soft marshmallow (for me). Here I am helping clients reach their goals and I no longer look the part.

Anyway, in the past year, I have had symptoms of hypothyroidism, fatigue, cold, weight gain (or difficulty losing weight), water retention, etc. I just feel blah.

My MD always says, you are healthy. I am. But, not for me. Something just does not seem right. I am taking natural progesterone cream and iodine and among other supplements. I use the paleo diet as my way of life and crossfit for fitness.

Anyway, I gave her a list of labs that I wanted to get done.

I had a low T3, but she said that was not a problem. I have already made an appointment with an endocrinologist, but can't get in until April.

Here are my labs:

TSH 1.7 mIU/L normal .27-4.2
Free T3 2.47 pg/ml normal 2.57-4.43
Free T4 1.3 NG/DL normal .9-1.7

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Val

Last edited by moderator2; 01-07-2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: please read the rules so that you know not to state your profession

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Fitness expert needs your help---Low T3, Normal TSH and T4

Your FT4 is lowish as well. A healthy person without thyroid disease might be expected to have FT4 of around 1.5 (using that range). So you're right to suspect that you may have a sluggish thyroid. The problem is, you will have a very tough time getting any MD to pay attention to such "normal" numbers, especially the garden-variety endo. Get him to test for thyroid antibodies, both TPO and Tg; but don't get your hopes too high that he will treat you based on anything other than TSH.

You may have to seek help from a holistic type doctor. A DO (osteopath) might be more receptive. It's tough out here in Thyroidland.

I'm pulling for you and wishing you the best.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
val52
(female)

val52 HB User
Re: I need your help---Low T3, Normal TSH and T4

thanks for your response and well wishes. I will keep plugging.

Closed Thread

Tags
low free t3