It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #1
(male)

jmhky HB User
newest symptom: mottled skin

My 6 yr old daughter was recently diagnosed with hashimotos thyroiditis. She has multiple symptoms, but now has mottled skin too. I've noticed it off and on for a few years, but it seems more constant now. And she's not cold either. Anyone else with thryoid problems have mottled skin? Just curious if it's related to the thyroid or if it's something else all together... maybe another auto-immune problem? Any ideas???

Old 01-08-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
(female)

lulu2008 HB User
Re: newest symptom: mottled skin

I am curious to read others responses, too, as I have recently noticed the same thing on my skin. Some times it is more apparent than others, but it is always there. I did show my doctor and he said it could be indicative of a connective tissue disorder and wants me to see a rheumatologist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

What do you mean by "mottled skin"? Do you mean "livedo reticularis"? I have Hashimotos and also have livedo reticularis. I would like to know if it is associated with something else as I also have confirmed arthritis in multiple bilateral joints on bone scan.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
(male)

jmhky HB User

She's hasn't been to the doctor for a diagnosis of the mottled skin. I'm doing my own research first. Most of the doctors we've seen aren't very proactive in finding a diagnosis... just treating the symptoms. Anyway, she sometimes has a dark pink/purple lace pattern under the skin on her arms and legs, but sometimes it's on her torso too. It happens to some people when they get exposed to hot or cold temperatures. Temperature isn't a factor for hers to appear. It happens very random... or at least I haven't been able to put my finger on what's triggering it yet. I know it has to do with the blood vessels and that concerns me. She also experienced some very mild petechia around her eyes this past summer. So it makes me wonder if it's not related to some type of blood disorder or something that hasn't been discovered yet. But with her most recent diagnosis of hashi's I wondered if anyone else has it and if a doctor has confirmed that it's related to thyroid disease before I make her an appointment with a rheumotologist or oncologist. I don't really know what to do. Just concerned about my little girl.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

I can certainly understand you being concerned about your daughter as I have a few of my own. I do believe it is Livedo reticularis that you are describing. You can see pictures of it online. I have it when exposed to cold, when exposed to sun and at certain other times when I cannot figure out the trigger! My doctor was just not concerned about it......although I am! I would love to hear the outcome and what the doctor has to say. I have actually now taken pictures so I can show them to the doctor as when I go it is usually not as evident. I believe it is associated with a number of autoimmune diseases.....lupus being one of them and/or it may just be livedo reticularis and not associated with anything. I do know that I have had it for over 20 years! (**Over 20 years ago I had one of my daughters in at the pediatrician and he noticed my legs and said it was associated with a blood/circulation disorder and I should have it looked into. Hahaha......NOW when I want to have it looked into, I can't find ANYONE who cares enough to check it out!)

Old 01-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
(female)

lulu2008 HB User

I have a referral to see a rheumatologist so as soon as I do and I ask about the rash I will post here..hoping its something benign and not some sort of connective tissue disease, those often present with rashes.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Thanks Lulu.......Good luck.

Closed Thread