It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Experiment

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
Paseo
(male)

Paseo HB User
Experiment

So, I have been taking javelina's advice and haven't been working out. Granted, it was her advice to take it easy, but honestly I have felt like poo so it was pretty easy not to work out.

Anyway, today was the first day in about 3 weeks that I have worked out. The only major thing I have noticed in those 3 weeks was that my brain fog feeling and heavy head feeling had all but subsided. So, I ran 3 miles in about half hour (very slow pace for me) and it was rather difficult. I had to walk at least 3 times. When I was finished I felt that endorphine rush and it was a nice feeling. However, just like before, about an hour later I started to "crash". Extreme fatigue, sleepiness, and the heavy headed/brain fog feeling came back.

So what have I learned? Not really sure except exercise seems to push me over the edge. I am assuming that I am at a point metabolically speaking where I can just barely sustain walking and talking and when I try to "force" my metabolism to work harder it just can't take it.

Anyone with similar exercise related symptoms? Any thoughts? Should I completely stop exercising until I get medication or a proper diagnosis?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
sparkie
Senior Veteran
(female)

sparkie HB User
Re: Experiment

Well, you've heard from me before and you know we are both in the same boat. How I long to do an 8-mile run! My issues are low adrenal, not thyroid, at least for now, although at times it IS my thyroid. In any event, I went from a fast-paced workout 7 days a week to working out 4-5 days per week. I no longer run. That hour long run is now a brisk hour long walk...I have no physical side-effects from this. My alternative gym days are EFX for an hour if I can tolerate, but my resistance is set one notch lower and my strides/minute are decreased. I have no problems taking it down a notch as long as I can keep doing it. I have also noticed decreased endurance with my weight lifting. I can left the same amount of weight, we are not talking anything big here, 15-lb weights for biceps, 50-lb for leg press, you get the picture, but I can no longer do my usual number of reps. I have chosen to listen to my body and only push as far as my body will let me. I have noticed something interesting this week though. I used to workout in the AM before work. I went after work twice this week and my workout felt pretty normal. I was even able to do more reps with weight lifting. That was yesterday, today can be totally different. I do know that when I get "that feeling", I either stop or cut way back. Otherwise I will feel awful for days. I noticed when all this endocrine stuff began, my AM workout became more difficult, sometimes my heart rate would go higher than typical and I would get "that feeling". Conversely, later in the day when I worked out, there were times on the EFX when my heart rate would not get out of the 1-teens and my workout would feel much better. Let us know when you get your labs back.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
Paseo
(male)

Paseo HB User

So, you think maybe you have a thyroid that is simply directly affected by the adrenals or do you think maybe you are slightly hypothyroid and the adrenals just push you over the edge?

I don't know what to think right now. I am waitinig for the labs and that will show me alot. If my TSH has gone done from the 4.541 on 12/22/09 then that may just show me that my thyroid is being affected by my adrenals and I need to address them. I haven't worked out this whole time so these labs should be interesting. The last labs I think I did a run a couple days before, but nowhere near the intensity I'm using to.

I guess the reason I did the run today was to see if this isn't all in my head. I was hoping to run and feel great and see rainbows and unicorns and stuff, but that didn't happen

I am the type that will be years suppressing what is happening to me and try to act as if nothing is wrong. I don't really care to go to doctors because they throw anti-depressants in my face when that's not what is going on here. I have stress, I have issues, but those are things I deal with and workout to help with my stress which is by far less than it has been in previous years.

So, bottom line is that I know something is up. Have really known it for a long time, but after this last episode it was just like something "snapped". Like my body just said "Enough already!" and is refusing to operate at the same level I was previous. The thing about lifting weights is the same for me. I noticed that I think first before the running because I was doing longer runs and just assumed it was the distance that was slowing me down. The weight lifting got so bad that I had to stop a few weeks before I stopped running. And I wasn't even lifting that much. 3 days a week I would do 25 lbs per arm for biceps and body weight exercises for the rest. Felt as if I couldn't do the same # of reps as before even using the same weight. Sounds awful similar, eh?

After these labs come back I will ask the doc about a 24-hour saliva test. He is a ND so he may even have them in his lab. If not I will ask for a prescription and get one or just get one myself online.

What are you doing for your adrenals? Hydrocortisone?

Old 01-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
sparkie
Senior Veteran
(female)

sparkie HB User

What am I doing for my adrenals? For the moment I am doing only gentler exercise and I have also found that increasing my salt intake gives me an incredible sense of relief. My IM MD has referred me to an endo for further testing, such as ACTH stim test. I was supposed to go yesterday. I read up on the MD and saw poor reviews so I canceled. I then scheduled an appt. w/ a different endo. One of my co-workers (we work for a large health care system) said I would probably be disappointed by the second endo I scheduled. So, my IM asked for me to trust her, that the endo she has referred me to will listen to her and what she wants him to do. So now I have to reschedule with him. If you sense overall reluctance it is because the treatment will most likely be hydrocortisone.

I am losing muscle mass. I consider myself the opposite of an athlete abusing steroids. I have lost weight, although this seems to have stabilized, and I have lost muscle mass. My appetite is decreased, my body temp is low. I have not had the adrenal response or "fight or flight" since this summer. I can come close to being swiped by an 18-wheeler and get no physical response. I have come to find out that response is totally overrated and unnecessary anyway...lol. Even drinking a glass of wine will give me the feeling of putting my body under too much stress. It doesn't make me drunk or tipsy or hungover, just physically stressed. I have no taste for anything sweet, just salty. I am heading to the gym within the hour. We will see what today brings.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
Paseo
(male)

Paseo HB User

Last night I was feeling a bit on the hyper side. I was a bit jittery and nervous feeling and just had this overall confused feeling even though I did enjoy having some energy. Anyway, after work I had a few beers and I didn't feel anything. It seems when I drink if I am feeling more on the hypo side I feel it almost instantly. This has actually been going on for awhile and I could never put my finger on it.

Also, I shave my head, but leave about a quarter inch or so. I have noticed just recently that it seems to be thinning dramatically. I have the classic receding hairline and balding spot in back (started around 18 or so) but now it seems to be accelerating. I see patches and thin spots from the front to the back.

I guess I will just have to take it easy exercising. That's hard for me considering the level I was at. Well, I hope you get everything sorted out with yours. I know how frustrating this can be.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:43 AM   #6
sparkie
Senior Veteran
(female)

sparkie HB User

That reminds me of when I had thyroiditis almost four years ago. I was hyper as he**. I can only have one cocktail, two is my limit...and I only drink Malibu run that has half the alcohol of regular rum. Plus, I was 111 lbs. at that time. One evening out I had four cocktails with ZERO effect. Alcohol is the first thing the body will metabolize for energy if it is available, followed by carbohydrates, fat, and protein. I am not partaking in alcohol at all right now since it seems to have an adverse affect on my body.

Anyway, back to adrenals. My smart IM MD took note of the fact that my TSH, FT3, and FT4 moved up and down together in harmony. That is when she said the thyroid issues were being caused by either adrenal or pituitary. Like you, back in January I had an inflamed thyroid with an elevated TSH of 4.5 (along with FT3 at upper limits of normal). Ultrasound revealed nothing and three weeks later TSH had dropped to 2.0 and FT3 and FT4 had dropped to lower limits of normal. In 2009 TSH and frees have been up and down and all over the place. I will f/u with the new endo to address the adrenals hopefully this month.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #7
Paseo
(male)

Paseo HB User

I think I have an opposite reaction with caffeine. When I a hypo I could drink a pot and not feel it, but if I am hyper I can drink a cup and bounce off the walls.

That's weird what is going on with yours. I have only had my FT's measured once and that was June of '08 and they were both low normal. Then my TSH was 1.91. On 12/22/09 it was 4.541, but my doc wouldn't run the Free T's. Just had a full thyroid panel drawn on the 7th and we will see what it shows. Have you ever had your antibodies checked just in case it is Hashimoto's?

I can't wait for some answers. Today, I felt ok for a bit and then I felt like crap. Do you have days where you feel like you're sitting on a fence and swaying from one side to the next throughout the day? It is so weird. Plus, today was the first day in a few days that my neck started hurting again. It is still swollen, but not horrible. Just annoying...

Old 01-21-2010, 04:43 AM   #8
sparkie
Senior Veteran
(female)

sparkie HB User

Hey Paseo, guess what? Since I feel like my body is coming out of this adrenal stuff, I did a mile run Sunday, no ill affects. Yesterday I thought I would increase it to two miles and ended up running a straight 3.2 miles with no problems. I was SLOW, I didn't want to push it and risk anything. The intention was just to do 2 but I was feeling better the more I did so I ended up doing 3.2, then continued to walk/interval run the rest of the hour. I never got "that feeling" and felt great after. This was 5 AM and I always run slower in the dark and that early. Sunday my mile was like a 9:52, sadly yesterday it was probably over a 10:30 but whatever. Here is the strange part. I haven't done a run this long since Sept. Wouldn't you think that today my quads would be tight and sore? I feel only a very, very minimal tightness and that is only when I stretch. I noticed this also when I laid off the weights for maybe a week, then came back and did them, and experienced no muscle discomfort. Now, back at a time when I was "normal", if I had missed a week of weights, I would certainly feel it the following day after getting back into lifting. How are you feeling these days? I saw you mentioned you ordered the saliva test. Keep us posted.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #9
Paseo
(male)

Paseo HB User

It's good to hear that you are running again. I have been running off and on when I feel up to it. I don't notice getting sore as much but that may be from the testosterone replacement I started a couple weeks ago. That's one of the benefits I noticed the last time I was on it. I have done a few days of 30 minute runs at an 8 mph pace, but that pales in comparison to my 9.2 mph pace I was able to do prior. I don't know if you have seen my other posts, but my labs show a very low ratio of FT3 to RT3 which suggests RT3 dominance. Some refer to this as Wilson's syndrome. I guess adrenals and low testosterone can either cause this or make it worse. I have done the cortisol test, but need to send it off. This will show if the adrenals are an issue. My current doc is ruling out drug interaction with my current meds and has put me on testosterone replacement. I will be speaking with him today so hopefully he has some ideas on where to go from here. I am assuming he will want to wait for the cortisol test before exploring other options. Until then I will do what I can when I can. I am still very fatigued and tend to sleep alot. This gives me just enough energy to make it through work so I don't do much outside of sleeping/resting and working. Have you had your Reverse T3 tested?

Old 01-24-2010, 09:30 AM   #10
sparkie
Senior Veteran
(female)

sparkie HB User

Okay, well my venture back into running was short-lived. Last Wed was great, last Fri was fine although after and ever since I have felt awful. I attempted to do the EFX at the gym yesterday, my heart rate stayed at just around 100, I stopped within 15 minutes. I then went outside and walked for 4 miles and felt fine. My body temp is back to being low, tremors, needing salt. Ugh. I see the endo I have been referred to by my new IM MD the week after next.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #11
Paseo
(male)

Paseo HB User

Sorry to hear that it was short lived. I decided to try and do my weight lifting today. I feel ok, but I starting getting sore and cramping during the workout and that was doing body weight exercises! I will see how I feel in a couple hours, but right now, other than the soreness, I don't feel too bad. Post here when you see the endo. I am interested because we sound like we have very similar situations.

Closed Thread