It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User
7-Keto DHEA, birth control pills and Armour?

Someone just told me I should start taking 7-keto dhea. I have always had low hormone levels, but I just read you shouldn't take this if you're on birth control. I also read 7-keto can increase T3, so if I'm taking a compounded T4/T3 med, will this make my T3 levels too high?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: 7-Keto DHEA, birth control pills and Armour?

Have you had your DHEA levels tested? There are a lot of potential side effect of DHEA and I'd be very cautious about taking it. I've read several people's posts about how it affected them adversely. I'd rather work on replacing thyroid hormones and addressing adrenal fatigue in other ways and see if the DHEA levels normalize as a result of that first. As far as I can tell T-keto DHEA has no real benefit over regular DHEA and is supposed to be quite expensive.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

You should know what your dhea levels are b4 taking it. I'm on it, 25mg, but my dhea level was 30. I've been on it a yr and now I'm cutting back down to 10 mg. The 7 keto is suppose to be better as far as not raising estrogen but still its dhea. Since you are on b/c pills I'd want to know what my levels were first. You don't want high estrogen levels. ( I have no female parts left-hysterectomy-and I still produce estrogen via adrenals) Not sure how dhea would effect our thyroid levels, seeing how estrogen does adversly effect t's so would assume dhea would have some bearing?
Hysterectomy

Old 01-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

According to my saliva test in Feb. 09, my dhea levels were 4 (3-10). I'm assuming that since, even on birth control, I never have periods, that either my hormone levels are still very low or my thyroid is still very out of whack.

Closed Thread