It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Twelfth day on compounded dessicated thyroid

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
KittyLove
Veteran
(female)

KittyLove HB User
Twelfth day on compounded dessicated thyroid

I switched from Synthroid 75 mcg to compounded dessicated thyroid capsules 60 mgs. twelve days ago, and up until today, I didn't feel any difference whatsoever. Today I feel lightheaded, agitated, impatient, and out of sorts...very hormonal.

I felt the exact same way ten days after starting Synthroid, which eventually subsided. Am I experiencing a normal transitional reaction? I really don't know what to expect, although I'm absolutely thrilled that my hairloss has stopped and my pants are getting looser (I gained about ten pounds while on Synthroid for four months).

I know I could call my doctor on Monday, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience. I really want this to work out because while I was on Synthroid, I suffered hairloss, weight gain, and I had ocassional sharp chest pain.

On Synthroid, my TSH came down to .79, but my T3 and T4 barely budged, and I remained at the lowest end of the ranges. That is when I decided to switch doctors and try natural. I will be getting new labs in about four weeks.

Thank you for any advice!!

Last edited by KittyLove; 01-09-2010 at 12:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
tigger67
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User
Re: Twelfth day on compounded dessicated thyroid

My TSH was always low on Synthroid, but so were my FT3 and FT4, same as your labs. I recently switched to compounded dessicated thyroid and am now up to 120mg. My last labs showed my TSH still low, my FT3 slowing getting higher, but my FT4 dropped completely out of range. What's weird is I'm actually feeling a little better. So maybe the FT3 is the only one that needs to be high on natural thyroid. I don't know exactly how it's supposed to work yet.

I've never had hyper symptoms though (heart palps, nervousness). If you're feeling those, then it may be too much T3 for you and I'd call your doc.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
hopalong_too
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Tigger, Maybe, just maybe, and I am not on it so I don't know for sure but does compounded dessicated thyroid have both T4 and T3 in it. Is it like taking Synthroid AND Cytomel but in the natural form. I ask because when taking Cytomel the FT4 is artificially lowered. I ran into that problem and my FT4 and FT3 were both low even though my TSH was low. I have now stopped the Cytomel and increased the Synthroid and my FT's are STARTING to come up. I get another test the end of next week. I believe Cytomel was not for me as it gave a fast and furious boost but the effect died off too quickly making the FreeT levels fluctuate wildly. My GP told me this and it seems to make sense so far.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:43 AM   #4
frenchie2
(female)

frenchie2 HB User

Hi Kitty love, so good to hear about your hairloss but can you tell me how long did you have hair shedding and did it stop after changing medication or before that. I am on levothyroxine and I suspect it could be my problem. good luck for the future.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Are you splitting the dose of your compounded meds? You may need to split so the T3 is more even during the day. Ask the pharmacist for 30mg capsules. Also you may need to increase 1/2 grain (30 mg) every two to three weeks if you feel hypo symptoms returning (without labs it's hard to tell if your symptoms are hypo or not but it's possible they are). If they continue I would repeat the labs in three weeks instead of 4 to see what your FT3 and FT4 levels are. 60mg of desiccated thyroid is not a very high dose for many but everyone is different. The key is to keep raising the dose as needed to keep the hypo symptoms from roaring back as we adjust.
It's very promising that you are not losing hair and are losing excess weight. You probably didn't convert the T4 meds well and will hopefully do much better now with the T3 added.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
KittyLove
Veteran
(female)

KittyLove HB User

Thank you every one for your help!!

Tigger,
I no longer have any chest pains since stopping Synthroid.

Hopealong,
My bottle just says "compound USP DESI". The head pharmacist said they take natural desscicated thyroid, grind it up, and put it into capsules.

Frenchie,
My hair loss started about two weeks after I started Synthroid and it continued up until I stopped taking it four months later. After about two months of Synthroid, I asked the head pharmacist, "WHEN will the hairloss stop? I know the side effects state that some hair loss is possible at the beginning of treatment, but now it's been months and I'm getting worried." Her response? "I've never heard of hairloss being a side effect of Synthroid". I then pointed out that it was writtewn right under side effects.

Javelina,
I'm not splitting my dose because I have gel capsules, and I requested a 90-day supply to cut down on the driving (3 towns away). Now I realize I should have just started with a 30-month supply because it sounds like I will most likely be needing an increase. I will call my doctor and request labs in about two weeks, instead of four. Perhaps the pharm will make up some 30 mg capsules to add to my 60 mg. Thanks for the tip.

Thank you all again!! I really appreciate it!!!

Last edited by KittyLove; 01-10-2010 at 07:53 AM.

Closed Thread