It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

First Lab Results Since Beginning Treatment

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
AlexaIn2006
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Question First Lab Results Since Beginning Treatment

I have been around here for nearly a year. I have had both Hashimotos and Graves antibodies, starting off with very hyper symptoms and having hypo labs results. My endo started me on Synthroid last month with a 25mc dose. I have an appt. next week and she is willing to prescribe me Nature-throid which I am patiently waiting for!! She started me on Synthroid and gave it to me as a sample, and explained she prefers that type of treatment, but will prescribe what the patients ask for since it is their treatment.

So, these are my first lab results since being treated:

TSH : 2.2
Free T3 : 3.1
Free T4 : 1.08

I forgot to ask for the lab range over the phone, but I will get a copy of the results next week.

What do you think? I have been putting my thyroid issues on the side burner because we believe I now have developed rheumatoid arthritis and possibly celiac or a gluten intolerance. I am waiting for some labs and referrals from my regular doctor to come back.

Also, I have about 40-50 moles on my body show up within a month or two period. They are in places that never see daylight and places I never had any marks. I told my regular doc. and she asked her dermatology friend and said it can result from adrenal problems.......go figure.

Everything is still developing for me.....no final diagnosis yet on the other stuff.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: First Lab Results Since Beginning Treatment

Wow, an Endo who actually lets the patient choose their medication... what a concept! You are lucky to have her.

I think your TSH is still quite high. Hard to tell without the ranges about the FT3 and FT4, are you having any hypo symptoms?

Your post is really interesting to me because my mother is going through a very similar situation. She started with polymyalgia rheumatica (and refused to see a doctor for it) and when it finally landed her in the hospital they found she had a TSH over 6 and then she developed an agressive RA and now she is showing many new and concerning moles on her body. She's untreated for her thyroid because her beloved doc doesn't believe that an FT4 at 20% of its range is worth treating and the high doses of steroids her rheumy has her on for pain management has suppressed her TSH to "normal" levels. I'm pulling out my hair with this one but none of the docs listen to me about her thyroid. I'll do some research about skin lesions and untreated hypo...

Old 01-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
AlexaIn2006
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the response. If you remember, my endo left me untreated for most of last year although I was clearly hypo. I am thankful that she is willing to prescribe all different treatments, it is a huge relief. She upped my 25 mg of Synthroid to 50 today and then I see her next week to get the natural desiccated prescrip.

My new symptoms began in November. My joints in my hands began to ache and I am very quick to shrug these things off. It isn't until I have a couple of months to evaluate it and research that I begin to take it more seriously. The moles had me wondering and upset because I try to remove the ones I already have naturally (organic apple cider vinegar) only to have this huge outburst of them. Like I said, my regular doctor called her dermatology friend and they said it can be adrenal related so my endo tested my morning cortisol which I haven't got back yet.

I am not sure how I feel since beginning treatment, because I have so many other symptoms and the fatigue has been amped up to a higher level since the arthritis and possible gluten intolerance began. It is hard to separate the symptoms sometimes.

Your mom's situation sounds very frusterating! I am not on treatment for RA yet, and I am not looking forward to drugs, etc. I didn't realize it may effect the TSH level.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

It's possible that the adrenal function may be contributing to the moles. In my mother's case she's on very high dose of prednisone for both her PMR and her emphysema so she's got high levels of steroids on board. So it could be from high cortisol levels that happen with early adrenal fatigue.

Your rheumatologist will discuss the various options for RA treatment, usually they start with the lesser of the evils of the drugs and work up to the more scary ones. I had many RA like signs/symptoms (aching hands too-- MRI showed synovitis in the MCP joints) but no RA antibodies. My mother has over-the-top antibodies and I'm pretty sure my (and possibly her) rheumatological problems stem from thyroid and adrenal dysfunction.

Your dose of the T4 is still pretty low so it's not too likely it's done much for you so far. Be sure to raise the desiccated thryoid as needed to eliminate the hypo symptoms and check your adrenal function with a saliva cortisol test to make sure it's funtional enough to allow you to tolerate the hormone replacement.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
AlexaIn2006
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the advice. I am curious, what became of your RA? I had two RF tests for RA antibodies and I came back negative both times. My RA is in my hands/fingers, sometimes my toes, both wrists, and recently my neck. I wish my tests were just positive and it would be easier to get a diagnosis. I feel so deafeated when my tests come back negative or borderline when I am so extremely symptomatic and a different person now than what I was a year ago when I was feeling "normal."

I have been referred to a rheumatologist despite both of my negative labs because of my symptoms, aches.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:11 AM   #6
fastkar
(female)

fastkar HB User

I am curious about your moles... I have light brown dark spots going down my the backs of my legs... some of them are raised. I would have never put this with the thyroid issue - is it related?

If you could describe them that would really help alot... are you going to see a dermatologist?

Old 01-13-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
AlexaIn2006
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mine vary in size. When they first appear most of of them are very dark brown and then they may lighten up a bit. Most of mine are not raised. They have appeared in places there I never had any moles or freckles, such as my rear, mid to lower back, upper thighs, breasts, and hands and back of my legs. I gained close to 50 (maybe more) in just a couple of months. Doctor said it is adrenal related, which with am improperly treated thyroid, it can stress the adrenals.

Closed Thread