It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2010, 06:17 AM   #1
(female)

GBug HB User
Coffee and Your Thyroid Medicine

I was diagnosed hypothyroid in May 2009 after packing on 20 lbs in one month without a change in diet. I'm still having a difficult time getting the weight off even though my last lab reading was 1.6 (Fasting).

I've been taking my med (Synthoid) every morning right before I have a cup of coffee. I didn't realize I was supposed to wait at least an hour before having anything to eat/drink.

I just read that even morning coffee drank within 30 min to an hour can dramatically affect the effectiveness of your thyroid medicine. I'm going to start taking mine at bedtime.

Anyone else have any experience/information about whether coffee can affect your thyroid meds?

Just passing this information along in hopes of helping someone else.

Last edited by GBug; 01-13-2010 at 06:18 AM. Reason: incomplete

Old 01-13-2010, 06:34 AM   #2
(female)

fastkar HB User
Re: Coffee and Your Thyroid Medicine

Wow! That is what I was wondering. I have sometimes sacraficed my meds to be able to drink my coffee... LOL... I want the pick me up of the coffee more.

Can you take it at night? I am not sure?

I'll try to do some reading on it today because I am curious too............

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2010, 06:56 AM   #3
(female)

fastkar HB User

Great information!

So do you stop eating at a certain point at night? Just wondering?

Old 01-13-2010, 07:01 AM   #4
(female)

fastkar HB User

I just read the article about taking it at night. Interesting... I wonder what thoughts all of you have on this?
It would make a world of difference for me to take it at night.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:07 AM   #5
(female)

GBug HB User

I'm definitely going to start taking mine at night on an empty stomach. To think that my coffee could be making my med less effective stinks! I need to get this 20 pounds off. I'll switch to night and see if anything happens.

I'm already dieting (1000 calories) and exercising 1 to 1 1/2 hours most days and nothing is coming off.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

I take my meds in the morning before my coffee but do no wait an hour to have my morning brew and have found my free T3 and free T4 levels do rise so the coffee is not interfereing with the hormones.

If you are having problems with lingering hypo symptoms like weight then you are probably not optimized on your hormone levels yet. How much are you taking and what are your free T3, free T4 levels?

Old 01-13-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

If there is any one thing that can be taken as "fact" with this disease, it's that nothing should be written in stone. That includes the "right" way to take the medicine for it.

In the beginning, I took mine strictly by the book. In the a.m., on an empty stomach, with nothing but water for an hour after taking the pill. After I began feeling so much better that I felt it was safe to experiment, I began having coffee/non-dairy creamer within a half hour. It didn't make me feel any worse, so I stretched the rules again by having coffee immediately after med. Still no difference. I've been following this routine now for over 5 years, so see no reason to change because a new unofficial "study" says I shouldn't.

It was also my understanding in the beginning that calcium couldn't be taken with thyroid med, so I was devastated to think I could no longer eat my favorite breakfast - cereal with milk. One wise former member here informed me that as long as the same routine is followed almost daily, that I could indeed have cereal w milk if I chose. So, I still have cereal/milk nearly every day. No problem there. (I do, however, separate the med and my calcium supplement tablets far apart. Don't want to go too wild and crazy bending the rules. )

As for taking the med at night... For levothyroxine users, it might (or might not) be ok. But natural dessicated hormone users would risk some sleepless nights, because the T3 could theoretically ramp them up for 12 hours after taking the med. And that could leave them flat exhausted during their daytime hours - both from the lack of sleep and the lack of a T3 supply that has been used up already. I would never be able to take either kind at night, because I snack after dinner, leaving food in my stomach when I go to bed.

There are almost as many options for taking med as there are hypothyroid folks. If one method doesn't work, others can be tried.

Nothing about hypothyroidism should be written in stone.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

I love very strong coffee with Splenda and cream. And no way am I waiting to drink my coffee for a freakin hour ---I want my coffee immediately, it's what i look forward to.

My doc and the pharmacist both said take on an empty stomach --
I experimented with taking it before bed and that did not work for me because sometimes I had a snack at 9 pm.

If it goes into the stomach with food it gets digested too quickly and you will NOT get the full benefit.
New studies suggest taking it at night allows the med to be absorbed when the body is not working at digesting food. So you get the FULL benefit.

My brother has been on Synthroid for 18 years and always took it in the morning. He had thyroid cancer and takes a lot of synthroid to keep his TSH low.

Last year he started eating bran cereal in the morning and noticed all his levels going haywire. He is a radiologist and knew something was wrong with his focusing.

So his doc said you either give up the bran, or take the pill at night. So he takes it at bedtime. And he cannot eat for at least 2-3 hours before bed.

I take mine the first time I get up at night to go to bathroom. I saw this suggestion online.
It varies from 1 am to 3:30 am. However, I am now getting up around 4-5 am
but I feel fine. and I am enjoying the time to myself before the family gets up.

My energy level is so much better and I have lost 30 lbs in 5 months.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #9
(female)

fastkar HB User

I agree with you Midwest that nothing is set in stone. I am beginning to see that some things benefit some and some do not. I love this board! It is great to hear similar stories and be able to relate! I love my coffee and am glad we are having the conversation - LOL!!

Thanks for the insights and suggestions...

Old 01-13-2010, 11:25 PM   #10
(female)

Septerra HB User

my doctor said he didn't care when I took it as long as it was the same time every day. For me, I have no time to wait an hour when I wake up. I need to wake up, eat, go to school/work. I'm not going to wake up an hour earlier to take it.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

For me, I keep my pills ready with a bottle of water next to my bed. I don't know about you, but, I usually wake up in the night at some point to "p" or let my pup out so- I take my pill then. If I get the rare time sleeping thru the night, I still roll over and take my pill - the lag time in bed is usually just right for coffee to be ready!
Hysterectomy

Old 01-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #12
(female)

bionerd514 HB User
Wink Re: Coffee and Your Thyroid Medicine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBug View Post
I'm definitely going to start taking mine at night on an empty stomach. To think that my coffee could be making my med less effective stinks! I need to get this 20 pounds off. I'll switch to night and see if anything happens.

I'm already dieting (1000 calories) and exercising 1 to 1 1/2 hours most days and nothing is coming off.
1000 calories a day is very low for an adult woman (unless you are very short). I am 5 feet tall and I was told by a nutritionist to eat 1,500 calories a day to lose 1 lb a week. This has worked wonders for me and I'm not left hungry. If you consume too few calories a day your body will metabolize your muscles instead of fat and you will be left with no weight loss and less muscle mass (bad bad bad).

Hope this helps! =)

Old 01-14-2010, 01:07 PM   #13
(female)

bionerd514 HB User

I agree! Everyone reacts differently to the meds. I still take mine 30 mins before breakfast so until my routine changes, I will be taking them the way that I was told to. It works for me this way but anyone who feels okay or better taking them a different way should continue to do so.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:36 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I drink a ton of coffee each morning. ..I do take my thyroid medication during this time and have never had a problem.

I had a period where I was coffee free and for me at least it made no difference. I take Armour. I was told not to take Calcium supplements

As far as weight. I thought getting on Thyroid meds would take my mysterious weight off but it did not . No matter how much I dieted and excerised it would not budge.

After getting my thyroid under control, finding out I had insulin resistance, finding out I had a milk allergy and Celiac..I finally now have my weight back to normal and am feeling great!!!! My diet is limited now and very healthy which at times is a bummer but at least I feel better.

Good luck and keep working towards good health. Oleander

Old 01-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User

I'm not a big coffee drinker........I'm a Pepsi girl. I was told to wait a half hour to eat after getting up and taking the Synthyroid. I get up, go to the kitchen, take my pill (with Pepsi) and head for the shower. By the time I am finished in the shower and getting ready for work, my baby wakes up and it's time to fix breakfast. We sometimes eat cereal, but not always. I had no idea I was doing all the wrong stuff! I'm so thankful for these boards. I've only been on the meds for a few weeks and I've learned so much.

Closed Thread