It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

New labs; Antibodies question

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
djh924
(female)

djh924 HB User
New labs; Antibodies question

So I got my latest lab results back, not much change from last time (2 months ago). I think I should request an increase in my Synthroid and would welcome other opinions.

TSH 4.24 (4.31 2 mos. ago) range: .30 - 5.00
FT4 1.19 (1.22 2 mos. ago) range: .71 - 1.85
FT3 3.3 (1st time for this test) range: 2.0 - 4.4

Also, my ferritin is up to 35 from 24 2 months ago.

Should my TSH be lower to repress my nodules from growing?

I don't think I've ever been tested for thyroid antibodies before, and I'd like to know if these numbers mean that I definitely don't have hashi's:
Thyroid Peroxidase TPO 7 range: 0-34
Triiodothyronine Ab <20 range: 0-40

If I don't have hashi's I don't understand what the cause of my being hypothyroid is. The drs don't seem to really care, but I do. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Denise

Last edited by djh924; 01-13-2010 at 04:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: New labs; Antibodies question

That TSH is still pretty high, but TSH can be an unreliable test. Your FT3 is at 54% of its range and could be higher. You really need to get the ferritin up to the 70 to 90 range so keep up with the iron supplimenting.

How are you feeling? Any hypo symptoms? That's more important than labs overall, if you still feel hypo I'd ask for a small increase.

Not all of us hypos have positive antibodies (myself included). Hashi's is the most common cause of hypothryoidism in this country but not the only cause. It's possible that we have antibodies that are not yet tested for or that we fall into the "false negative" catagory of antibody tests or that we simply have an unknown cause of our disease (I have a family history or thyroid problems). What's more important to me is to treat it and get it under control.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
djh924
(female)

djh924 HB User

Thanks javelina,

As far as symptoms, my main problem is that I'm just so damned tired all of the time. I never thought it was possible to sleep so much in a single day. Is this more likely to be caused by the ferritin level and not my actual thyroid?

Also, I'm constantly getting sore swollen glands under my jawline and around my ears (just in front of the earlobe area, and below and slightly behind the ear).

And I'm still losing hair, but from what you've said before I understand that's most likely due to my low ferritin and vitamin D levels. Still taking supplements for both of those.

The reason I'm concerned about the cause is because I don't understand why I can seem ok for a week to a few weeks (low to actually no hair loss at times) and then it seems to start up all over again. The hair loss gets really bad, I get some bad scalp acne, and this last time I even had discomfort on the left side of my neck for a few days which the dr. said was something attacking my thyroid. If not hashi's, what? Then things will level out until the next time. I'm confused.

Thanks,
Denise

Old 01-16-2010, 01:09 AM   #4
SandieRC
(female)

SandieRC HB User

Have you been sick lately? Like an upper respiratory infection such as bronchitis or a sinus infection? That same thing happened to me where the left side of my neck was sore. I had been sick, but then a thyroiditis set in. I have had a rough road!

Old 01-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #5
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
and this last time I even had discomfort on the left side of my neck for a few days which the dr. said was something attacking my thyroid. If not hashi's, what? Then things will level out until the next time. I'm confused.
Yes, it is confusing. I've had many ups and downs with this disease over the years. Sometimes I was just fine and others I was practically incapacitated. I think the thyroid was sputtering off and on and why this happens I'm really not sure. It definitely got worse as time went on though so I'm assumeing it was steadily declining in function as I got older.

I would retest antibodies from time to time to see if they become discernable. Lab tests are not infallible and it's possible you simply had false negative readings. It's also possible that the thyroid pain and problems could have been viral in origin.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:29 PM   #6
djh924
(female)

djh924 HB User

Thank you for responding -

No, I haven't had any colds or infections. I do constantly have swollen glands lately though. Wish I knew what that was from.

Denise

Old 01-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
djh924
(female)

djh924 HB User

Thanks javelina -

Can a viral thyroiditis be chronic? I'm definitely hypothyroid, but the "worse" episodes come and go. (I was told after ultrasound last April that I had thyroiditis, but I thought that just meant that my thyroid was enlarged due to the nodules that they found.)

Also, do you think that my extreme tiredness is caused by my low ferritin and/or vitamin D levels? I am on supplements, but my latest ferritin labs showed 35 (range: 10 - 291) and my D (before any supplements) was 18.4 (range: 32 - 100).

I can't tell you how much I appreciate this forum. It's wonderful to have a place to go while you try to sort all of this out. Especially since I think my husband is starting to get aggravated at my tiredness.

Thanks again,
Denise

Old 02-02-2010, 10:53 PM   #8
srcamacho
(female)

srcamacho HB User

how long have you had a hypothyroid? Because normally doctors recommend to be on the medication for at least six months to make sure that the levels are going down, and if they are not, make sure that they listen to you. IF they don't I would be looking somewhere else for a different opinion.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:14 AM   #9
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

I just looked at your labs again and see you had a Triiodothyronine Ab instead of the usual thyroglobulin Ab (TG-Ab). You really need to have your TG done as well, it's possible you have these antibodies and Hashi's after all.

Yes, low ferritin and D will cause fatigue as well as interfere with your hormone replacement therapy. It can take a while to rebuild these stores so you will need to be a bit patient (as will your husband ). You have a real reason for your fatigue and eventually you will get this figured out and feeling good again.

Closed Thread