It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Can't seem to get any help- any more suggestions?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
Lithriel
(female)

Lithriel HB User
Can't seem to get any help- any more suggestions?

I've been hit with a double whammy. I have sub-clinical hypothyroidism and am extremely symptomatic yet I can't find a doctor who will A. listen, or B. take my insurance. It is taking over my life. My free T4 is not in the normal range (too low, .6 when normal is .9 -2), my TSH is 3.3, and yet they will not do a thing. I have had worsening symptoms in the past 7 months- constant periods, a scary amount of swelling in my hands and eyes in the morning (can't open them for a litlte), anxiety, depression etc.

I have done as directed and I have tried to locate doctors on the physician locator on the amour website in hopes of finding someone else who will listen, but all of the doctors listed do not take my insurance or are retiring. The pharmacies are not being cooperative. I have called and asked for names and they tell me because of the shortage they have no current prescriptions and they can't help me.

Please please please, what else can I do to find a doctor? Am I correct in understanding that no one is allowed to give me any names on this forum?

My last option will be to go pay out of pocket for a doctor. This includes all tests and medications on top of the $140 charge for a 15 minute visit (my family of three lives on a low income). How much does thyroid medication cost out of pocket?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
golfhat
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User
Re: Can't seem to get any help- any more suggestions?

Why won't anyone take your insurance? Is your insurance company unreliable or something?

Your TSH is in normal range. 3.3 is not abnormal.
However, i believe the ranges have narrowed and 3. 3 could be considered hypo but very slightly.

There is more to this story you are not revealing.

You need to be tested for things other than thyroid, I believe.

However, an ultrasound of your thyroid and lymph nodes would be a good starting point.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:42 PM   #3
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Your story is very similar to mine. Your TSH IS high at 3.3, mine almost got that high and I was a basket case. Your FT4 levels are below range and that's a screaming hypo sign. Your continuing periods, etc can all be explained by untreated hypothyroidism. You definitely need help.

There are some online directories for Top Docs, sorry I can't post links to them, do some more searches for thyroid forums or natural thyroid hormone groups to see if they have any suggestions. You may have to search outside your immediate area and drive some distance to find one. The Armour doctor referral site is probably outdated, as you've found because Armour has been largely abandoned by most because of their mishandling of their product. Are there any compounding pharmacies in your area? They might be able to tell you who is prescribing compounded desiccated thyroid. Also have you posted here for a referral in your area?

Don't give up, your health is at risk because you are falling through the cracks but if you keep looking you will find someone to prescribe for you.

BTW, I pay out of pocket for my Erfa Thyroid from Canada and it's not very expensive. It does require a prescription however.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
Lithriel
(female)

Lithriel HB User

"Why won't anyone take your insurance? Is your insurance company unreliable or something?"

My insurance is geared toward low income families, that may have something to do with it. I really can't afford to pay out of pocket.

"Your TSH is in normal range. 3.3 is not abnormal.
However, i believe the ranges have narrowed and 3. 3 could be considered hypo but very slightly."

According to the AACE anything over 3 is considered abnormal. My free T4 is too low and indicates low thyroid activity. More than that I have experienced most of the symptoms of hypothyroidism for a few years now. The symptoms I listed where the ones that were getting worse. I didn't list all the ones I have had for some time (dry extremely pale skin, disappearing eyebrows, hair getting more and more coarse, weight gain, extremely cold hands and feet all the time, lack of perspiration, frequent muscle cramps, heavy periods, hair falling out, brain fog, forgetfulness, irritability, swelling in the face, lowering of the voice, huskiness, hoarseness when singing, and I could go on and on. Don't tell me I don't have hypothyroidism.

"There is more to this story you are not revealing. "

I am not sure what you mean here but it almost sounds accusatory.

"You need to be tested for things other than thyroid, I believe."

I had some basic blood tests to search for anything else abnormal but my doctor didn't say anything which leads me to believe he didn't see anything.

"However, an ultrasound of your thyroid and lymph nodes would be a good starting point. "

I did get an ultrasound. It revealed 5 nodules. My doctor didn't do a thing about it even though I am sure this is what is interfering with my singing.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
Lithriel
(female)

Lithriel HB User

"Your story is very similar to mine. Your TSH IS high at 3.3, mine almost got that high and I was a basket case. Your FT4 levels are below range and that's a screaming hypo sign. Your continuing periods, etc can all be explained by untreated hypothyroidism. You definitely need help.

There are some online directories for Top Docs, sorry I can't post links to them, do some more searches for thyroid forums or natural thyroid hormone groups to see if they have any suggestions. You may have to search outside your immediate area and drive some distance to find one. The Armour doctor referral site is probably outdated, as you've found because Armour has been largely abandoned by most because of their mishandling of their product. Are there any compounding pharmacies in your area? They might be able to tell you who is prescribing compounded desiccated thyroid. Also have you posted here for a referral in your area?

Don't give up, your health is at risk because you are falling through the cracks but if you keep looking you will find someone to prescribe for you.

BTW, I pay out of pocket for my Erfa Thyroid from Canada and it's not very expensive. It does require a prescription however. "

Thanks so much for responding. Where do I post a referral?

Do you live in Canada? Or are you getting a prescription from the US? Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will definitely look for some groups.

I was feeling incredibly discouraged because I happen to be fighting for my health at a time armour goes under, the medication I had my hopes set on. That coupled with the hard time of finding a doctor who will listen has almost caused me to give up.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #6
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

I'm in the US and you can get Erfa with a US Dr's prescription through online Canadian pharmacies. Erfa is comparable with the "old" Armour before it was reformulated. It's an excellent desiccated thryoid.

You can post here on the boards, "Looking for a good doc in _____" and see if anyone responds. Don't be afraid to look elsewhere too.

You sound very well informed and ready to fight for your health and that's a good thing. It's sad that so many of us have to push so hard to get the care we need with this illness. Hanginthere and keep pushing!

Old 01-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #7
Paseo
(male)

Paseo HB User

I see that you are up in Washington. I don't know if your he will take your insurance but I am going to a ND in Portland, OR. I know it would be a drive, but you could give it a shot. His name is Dr. Martin Milner in SE Portland.

Closed Thread