It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Do I have a thyroid disorder? Please help

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-2010, 10:53 PM   #1
FLGal99
(female)

FLGal99 HB User
Do I have a thyroid disorder? Please help

I have had some weird symptoms the past few months and I'm not quite sure what they could be. I never seem to feel "full" unless I overeat and have what would be considered two meals for most people. When I do feel full it doesn't last for more than 2-3 hours and then I feel hungry again (although my stomach isn't growling like it's hungry but instead I get physical symptoms like dizzyness and feel weak). I even find myself waking up in the middle of the night having to have a snack or a glass of milk to hold me over.

I tested my blood sugar to see what I was experiencing was low/high blood sugar and my A1C test (average glucose over 3 months) was 5.2 which was normal and I tested my blood sugar in the mornings and two hours after a meal and they were also normal so I don't believe I have diabetes or hypoglycemia.

On top of the sensation of never feeling full and am having to eat every 2-3 hours even after a big meal, I have experienced anxiety, heart palpitations, and have gained over 40 lbs within a year.

Could my issues of never feeling full, having to eat every 3 hours or I get dizzy/weak, my anxiety, and weight gain be a thyroid disorder?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2010, 06:35 AM   #2
FLGal99
(female)

FLGal99 HB User
Re: Do I have a thyroid disorder? Please help

Can anyone help?

Old 01-18-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

I recommend you get your thyroid checked out. Ask your doctor for some testing to determine if you've got low thyroid function. The best tests are free T3, free T4, TSH, and antibodies TPO and TG. I would also ask for vitamin D, B12, and ferritin levels.

It's very possible this is thyroid related so get the tests done and post your results here when you get them.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

It sounds much more like hypERthyroidism to me. The excessive hunger, anxiety, palpatations, dizziness, and weakness are classic hyper symptoms. Weight fluctuation can go either way, or even not change at all, with thyroid disease.

IMO, TSI antibodies would be more important to have done in your case than TPO and Tg.

Last edited by midwest1; 01-18-2010 at 08:25 AM.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
FinnMaid
Senior Veteran
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

I seem have a tendency for hypoglycemia - I get pretty much those symptoms you describe especially over the weekend when I get more sleep and therefore without food longer - it may take half a day to start feeling normal. Even few doses of alcohol may cause horrific hypoglycemia symptoms. I took a glucose tolerance test and my levels didn't drop enough for me to get reactive or relative hypoglycemia diagnosis but having looked into this thing I'm pretty sure there's still something wrong with my sugar metabolism (I've had this as long as I can remember - and even convinced my endo of this). There's not much I can do about that except avoid sugars and add protein to my diet to slow my to speedy metabolism down and keep those spikes and drops (and constant hunger) away.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 01-18-2010 at 11:02 PM.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
FLGal99
(female)

FLGal99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
I seem have a tendency for hypoglycemia - I get pretty much those symptoms you describe especially over the weekend when I get more sleep and therefore without food longer - it may take half a day to start feeling normal. Even few doses of alcohol may cause horrific hypoglycemia symptoms. I took a glucose intolerance test and my levels didn't drop enough for me to get reactive or relative hypoglycemia diagnosis but having looked into this thing I'm pretty sure there's still something wrong with my sugar metabolism (I've had this as long as I can remember - and even convinced my endo of this). There's not much I can do about that except avoid sugars and add protein to my diet to slow my to speedy metabolism down and keep those spikes and drops (and constant hunger) away.

I was thinking it might be hypoglycemia but it doesn't make sense because I've checked my blood sugar and it has never gotten below 80 (to be hypoglycemic it dips 60 and under).

I do notice once I have a meal in me the symptoms of feeling dizzy/weak, ect. go away for a few hours until I'm hungry again. That's why for the longest time I thought it might be related to blood sugar or insulin because when these symptoms occur food (especially having protein like a turkey sandwich and some juice) make me feel a whole lot better.

Anyone else familiar with what I am going through?

Old 01-18-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
FinnMaid
Senior Veteran
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

My levels didn't drop "enough" either - that's why I my endo didn't believe me at first but like I said having looked into it I was so relieved to find that (again) I wasn't crazy feeling weak and shaky in the morning - getting nervous and irritated - couldn't possibly go for a run 2 hours after my previous meal (I'd make it to the door and that's it ) and coming to a full stop after 20 minutes of running without liquid (and some maltodextrine). Since I've started running I've added quark and plain yoghurt to my regime to get some extra protein and I've also noticed that mixed nuts slow my metabolism down and eaten in the evening make me not feel that bad in the morning. Sounds like you too have found that it just might be a blood sugar issue (even though you don't have labs to prove it) - with or without an "official diagnosis" it's still more about managing it. Maybe blood sugar issues are a bit like thyroid issues - one level doesn't suit all and we react on individual levels. Have your thyroid levels checked any case - thyroid issues can mess up your sugar metablism too.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 01-18-2010 at 11:45 PM.

Closed Thread