It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Questions about Hashimotos and ferritin levels

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
jaguarevo
(male)

jaguarevo HB User
Questions about Hashimotos and ferritin levels

Im a 26 year old male that has recently experienced many symptoms of hashimotos. My mother and grandmother both have it.

Top symptoms: fatigue, low stamina, rapid hair loss within 2-3 weeks, very dry skin and hair, nodules on back of neck, mind fogginess, cold limbs, neck feels thick and swollen

Lab results: 11/05/09 (normal ranges)
TSH - 3.5
t3 - 98 (83-200)
Ft3 - 2.7(2-4.4)
Ft4 - 1.4(.82-1.77)
ferritin - 45 (22-322)
TPO - 120 (0-34)
TG - not tested
Vitamin D - not tested
B12 - not tested

other results
Iron, serum - 193 (40-155) way too high!!! have no idea why

Questions:
What do these numbers mean? what should my next step be?

Dont want to wait around for things to get worse...should i start supplementing with a natural dessicated thyroid right away?

My ferritin is getting low which could be the cause for hair loss.....but my iron levels are too high...how can this be? i have not supplemented with any iron. In order to raise ferritin dont you take iron supplements? will this cause my iron serum to rise even more?

Im going for my next labs this week...should i ask for TG, vitamin D and B12?

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Questions about Hashimotos and ferritin levels

I've read of a few cases of high iron with low ferritin, like you have but my understanding is if your ferritin levels are low then you need more iron. I would retest your labs just to see if you have still got that high serum iron level, if it's normal or low then suppliment iron. If it's still high you should seek a doc's advice on that one, you might need TIBC, UIBC or transferrin tests as well. And yes, get that vitamin D and B12 as well because low levels are common and will cause symptoms too. TG is useful too but you've got the positive TPOs so you now know you have Hashi's.

Your labs are definitely hypo and Hashi's with that positive TPO. You need thyroid hormone replacement and I do recommend desiccated thyroid. Nature-throid is available in pharmacies now or you can order Erfa Thryoid from Canada, which is an excellent product.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
rleepac
(female)

rleepac HB User
Re: Questions about Hashimotos and ferritin levels

You should do a google search on subclinical hypothyroid.

Your TPO being high, your TSH mildly elevated with classic symptoms and family history - you should consider your self hypothyroid and seek treatment. If you do a search for Mary Shomon - she has a website that lists docs that specialize in thyroid disorders - specifically subclinical thyroid. Unfortunately many "traditional" docs won't treat a case like yours but you would do well with a trial of thyroid replacement therapy. There is a great deal of research in this area and the TSH "normal" range will eventually be lowered to 2.5 and possibly 2.0. Millions of people are living with undetected and untreated hypothyroidism!

Good luck,
R Lee, PA-C

Closed Thread