It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Some symptoms resolved w/supplements..but

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2010, 09:43 AM   #1
DJinNU
(female)

DJinNU HB User
Some symptoms resolved w/supplements..but

Hi,
Back in October I had some blood work and although my physician dismissed my results, so I have no "official" diagnosis, I did a ton of research on my own so I have been self-supplementing. For the past 3 months I have taken Hemaplex, which supplies 85mg of elemental iron and 6000mcg of B12.

I also started taking a ThyroMax supplement this week. I only take one caplet which supplies 225mcg of iodine. I know iodine supplements are not usually suggested, but we use NO table salt in our home and I have never been a fish eater in my life time. I also have read that if you have iron deficiency anemia, that your body does not absorb iodine very well.

Back then, the only results definite were iron and B12 deficiency. My other results were as follows: The ranges are in ()

TSH .488 (.47-4.68)
Free T4 .86 (.78-2.19)
T3 139 (97-219)
Folate >20 (3-20)
B12 479 (239-931)
Ferritin 34 (6-137)
Vit D 34 (20-100) (I was supplementing prior to bloodwork)
Thyroglobulin 13.6 (2-35)
Thy Peroxidase - < 10 "Good"

So my question are...is it possible my iron and B12 deficiencies caused my "bad" thyroid results.....TSH and Free T4. I know these results point to either secondary hypothyroidism or pituitary. If I can get my iron and B12 back up, will my body eventually go back into balance or do I still need to see an endo? I have been putting it off b/c I am "afraid" of wasting my time and not getting a serious diagnosis. I have also been thoroughly looking for a good endo. and the one has a 6-9 month wait.

My only symptoms that are remaining from my long list over the summer are my libido (went from low to NO) (Poor DH!!), my hair continues to have more gray each day (I'm "only" 40) and my weight is either stagnant or an extra pound here and there and then it drops one day to increase the next. This is despite me going to the gym 3x's per week and working out for 2hours. Can't lose anything! This is the most frustrating to me b/c I have always been on the lean side. One of the very reasons my primary Dr dismissed my blood work re: thyroid.

So looking for some feedback as to what my next step should be. When should I do follow-up blood work for my iron and B12? Thank you so much!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Some symptoms resolved w/supplements..but

I think you've got some thyroid deficiency going on here. Your FT3 is only at 34% of its range and that's very low for most of us. And of course your FT4 is low too. TSH is not a good marker for how well we are doing with thyroid hormones. A good explanation of this can be found at the National Academy of Hypothyroidism.
You are doing the right thing to suppliment your iron and B12 and it's probably a good idea to add iodine too if you are not getting enough in your diet. You will need to keep supplimenting your D as well because those last labs are very low still (need to be at least 50).
I don't think your vitamin and mineral deficiencies caused your low thyroid results but they will contribute to you not being able to utilize what thyrid hormones you do have. So replacing these will help somewhat and will certainly help with any hormone replacement you end up on.
Finding a good doc to take these results seriously along with your symptoms is always such a hard task for us. Keep looking and realize that endos are not always the answer to getting good thyroid care, they often are the antithesis to good care, many of us have found.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
DJinNU
(female)

DJinNU HB User

Hi,

I have read horror stories about those who have gone to endos and been wrongly diagnosed and then they go to an internist who have diagnosed correctly. I have a few names and realize I may have to use a few of them. My first objective is to find someone who is willing to prescribe Armour or a natural compound, even if I have to drive 1 hour.

I spoke with the nurse at my ob/gyn office late today b/c I had a blood panel done last week for some hormone levels. I want to rule it all out so I have a solid case b/c my thyroid numbers are so "borderline". All she told me was they were in "normal range". Is it possible for someone to provide me with better info or reference. Thank you!

The results were as follows (taken on Day 21 of my cycle)
FSH 3.4
LH 7.5
Estridol(?) 178

Old 01-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

Do you have the reference ranges for those tests? I'm not hugely familiar with these, other than the FSH and LH can point to a pituitary dysfunction if they are out of range. Estradiol can point to adrenal problems or menopause if it's out of whack. But often other hormone levels can be thrown off by poor function of thyroid and/or adrenals and will correct once these underlying things are addressed.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:54 AM   #5
DJinNU
(female)

DJinNU HB User

I found some reference ranges and it seems my "female" hormones are in-sync and none of this is related to peri-menopause. I have a friend who was INSISTING all my sysmptoms were "peri" b/c she is 6 years older than me and "has been through it"...GGRRRR! I think she wanted someone to be going through it with her at the same time. It was getting very annoying after some time listening to her, when I have more symptoms, like low ferritin and
B12, that do not go along with "peri". Anyway, now I know (and so does she). I will be calling two endos today. I got their names from compounding pharmacies in the area.

FYI these are the ref ranges. I had my blood taken at day 21 which is in the luteal phase so these are ref ranges for luteal phase only. All right in the mid-point.

FSH Ref range 1.7-7.7 MINE 3.4
LH Ref range 1-11.4 MINE 7.5
Est Ref Range 21-312 MINE 178

Old 01-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
hopalong_too
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Quote:
Back then, the only results definite were iron and B12 deficiency. My other results were as follows: The ranges are in ()

TSH .488 (.47-4.68)
Free T4 .86 (.78-2.19)
T3 139 (97-219)
Folate >20 (3-20)
B12 479 (239-931)
Ferritin 34 (6-137)
Hi DJinNU, You are correct in that your hormone levels look great! I have a question about your B12 levels and the comment you made about definite B12 deficiency. Are you saying a deficiency with a 479 level or was it originally lower. Who is saying it is definite? I am asking because I have been many times to the doctor about my B12 level. It was originally 340 and I was told it was fine. I supplemented with sublingual B12 5mg daily and eventually got the level just above 500. It has now come down again and is the lowest it has been @320 (211-911). My GP and my Endo are both saying that this is perfectly normal. I would appreciate your input. Thank you, Hoppy

Old 01-21-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

Target range for B12 is 800. Anything below that is considered deficient, despite the ranges. The Japanese have 550 as the bottom of their B12 range.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:14 AM   #8
hopalong_too
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Javelina, Is that target range documented anywhere in "medical literature" ?

Old 01-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Javelina, Is that target range documented anywhere in "medical literature" ?
Good question, I've not found much other than articles about health and wellness that indicate the higher-range goal for B12 (many say 1000 is a target). But the Japenese have set 500-550 as the bottom of their range based on their studies and what I've read from mostly anecdotal reports is that neurological damage starts at below 500. My levels were around 350 before I started supplimenting and I did have many symptoms like twitching eyes, neuropathy in my feet, positive Romburg, etc. It's hard to differentiate between low B12 and fibromyalgia and hypothyroidism (all of which I have) and there's considerable overlap of symptoms.

Since I don't go by the ranges for free T3, free T4 and TSH, I'm willing to believe the reports that the current ranges for B12 are also incorrect. Like hypothyroidism, low B12 causes many symptoms that doctors tend to treat with other pharmacologic drugs instead of getting to the root cause.

Closed Thread