It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Diagnosed today with Hashi's

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
Lugrita
(female)

Lugrita HB User
Diagnosed today with Hashi's

I have been so thankful for the help and advice that I have received here so far! I started posting around the holidays with my results and ranges, and then I posted more results after I started pulling my labs from two different docs in the past year. I was always told that everything was "normal", but once I pulled my own labs I realized that they had missed some things - namely my high thyroglobulin autoantibodies, and my positive ANA test.

I brought all of my labs in to my appointment today, and the doctor (actually, I think she's a nurse practitioner, but she's wonderful!) looked at it and immediately said that it's obviously Hashi's. She then poured through the rest of my results to check my TSH and Free T4 levels over the past year, and also to rule out other hormonal issues (thankfully my OB/GYN ran all of those last month, along with a pelvic u/s...and they're all clear).

She said that my thyroid levels have been low all along and that they treat patients when Free T4 is at the bottom of the normal range, which is where mine has sat - especially when the antibodies are present. So somehow everyone else has missed all of this even though it has been there in the labs all along, but I am thankful that I'll hopefully start doing better once she starts treatment.

She wrote a script for Synthroid, but wants me to get a thyroid u/s before I start the meds. So I am going to get in for that as soon as they have an opening.

Will my body start being more normal on Synthroid once they get my levels under control? Will I be able to lose the weight that popped on over the past year, and hasn't left despite my best efforts? I've never gained weight before so I don't know what to expect with this, and I'm hoping that I can get it off! Also, did any of you experience lots of acne with your Hashi's, and if so, did it go away? My skin is a mess and I am very big on skin care, but it looks awful no matter what I do anymore. The doctor wanted to start me on Accutane (we are done having babies, so no worries there), but I'm wondering if the thyroid meds alone will help with my skin - any thoughts? Also, how long does it take before you start feeling a bit better, once you start the meds?

Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread