It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

I Got Armour....

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
AlexaIn2006
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
I Got Armour....

I got a prescription for Armour today. My endo put me on a sample of Synthroid in Dec. and said to try it and when I saw her again she would be willing to prescribe natural desiccated hormones. She always said she doesn't prefer it, mostly because it is more tricky to asjust, but will prescribe.

I told her I wanted Nature-throid and she shut me down immediately and said she will prescribe Armour. I know the whole story about Armour and wanted another brand, but I took the Armour anyways.

I know my pharmacy does have Armour in stock, but not the other brands because I have been checking prior to my appt. today.

So, can you still take Armour sublingually? Is there anyone doing okay with the new formula? I figure it is better than synthetics at least.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: I Got Armour....

Geeze, everyone knows that Nature-throid is better than Armour now, everyone but your doc obviously. Maybe she's setting you up to fail with an inferior product so she can get you on synthetics... I guess this means she isn't open to Erfa from Canada...

Take the Armour, not everyone does badly on it, it depends on if the high cellulose will interfere with you being able to absorb it or not. Just be aware that if you have problems, it's not because it's desiccated thyroid, it's because it's Armour. You can't take it sublingually so take it on an empty stomach and divide your dose morning and afternoon.

How much is she allowing you to take for a starting dose?

Old 01-21-2010, 09:57 PM   #3
AlexaIn2006
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am starting on 30 mg, so I guess that would be half a grain. My pharmacy had one grain tablets several weeks ago and now they are gone. He is going to try to get more in for me.

I will divide my Armour up. I refuse to go use synthetics, so if Armour isn;t working, I will inform her that I want to try another brand.

Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated!

Old 01-22-2010, 03:02 AM   #4
jenj770
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelina View Post
You can't take it sublingually so take it on an empty stomach and divide your dose morning and afternoon.
I take mine sublingual. No problem.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

When I tried taking the Nu Armour sublingually it just turned to mush under my tongue, which I had to swallow. Same with Nature-throid. The cellulose content was too high for it to dissolve. Erfa would dissolve completely because it doesn't have cellulose. Maybe you can still absorb the hormones doing Armour subling and it may make it better absorbed overall. Worth trying anyway.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
AlexaIn2006
Senior Veteran
(female)

Okay, my pharmacist is unable to get Armour, he tried very hard and called all surrounding places for it and only one place have 5 pills. I am going to check the Naval Hospital pharmacy, otherwise I will havr to try to get it online.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

Now I think you doc only would prescribe Armour because she knows it's not available
Look up RLC Labs and print out their info about Nature-throid and bring to your doc so she can see it's a legitimate prescription desiccated thyroid and prescribe it for you. It's much more available than Armour and better too.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:17 AM   #8
pip48
(female)

pip48 HB User

What whole story about Armour??? I have been taking Armour for over 10 years now and love it!! I have been hypo for over 20 years and suffered on Synthroid for 10 years before Armour. As far as I am concerned I won't take anything else.

In fact I got on the board today, to give some info about the Armour shortage. I spoke to Forest and found out what the real deal is. Armour has meds, the distributors won't buy them because they can't supply in the quanities that the distributors have committed in contracts to supply to the pharmacies. Lower quanities are more expensive, and the price to the pharmacies is lower. So it is just a business deal problem, not a supply problem.

I am very interested in knowing what problem with Armour you are talking about. I have been out of the message board loop, since starting Armour, I have felt so well.

Please any info
Thanks,
Pip

Old 02-04-2010, 03:26 AM   #9
pip48
(female)

pip48 HB User

I have just read some other posts. I called Forest and got them to send Armour for me to a pharmacy. They want to supply it, the distributors will not buy it. Forest sent 100 60 mg. tabs specifically for me to my pharmacy. The pharmacy did have to call, but the tabs were there in 3 days. So for all of you that want Armour but can't get it at your pharmacy, call Forest, they will return your call, and you will find out what I have. They are manufacturing and they have meds.

The problem with the actual manufacturing started last summer and that was a real problem, not a money deal. There is one supplier in the world of raw materials for natural thyroid and all the manufacturers were having problems getting the raw materials. They all went through their stock piles of tabs then and are behind in production but not out. But because the distributors can't get the huge quanities, they are refusing to buy any.

Just wanted to pass this on.

Pip48

Old 02-04-2010, 04:01 AM   #10
pip48
(female)

pip48 HB User

I have been off the boards for awhile and am totally in the dark about the cellulose problem with Armour. Can you explain please.

pip48

Old 02-04-2010, 07:04 AM   #11
javelina
Senior Veteran
(female)

Interesting about the distribution problem, first I've heard of it. There have been numerous attempts by other well-known thyroid advocates who blog online to get the story from Forest and they've only gotten a run-around. There is a lot of anger and frustration towards that manufacturer as a result.

Actually there is just one manufacturer of porcine thyroid powder in the US, not the world. The Canadian Thyroid suppliers never ran short of it because they got their supply in Europe. It's true that the supply did run short in the US and that's why RLC labs also was backordered for months. RLC has shipped their products out last month. And the question remains, why can't Armour supply in the needed quantities still?

Forest reformulated Armour back in spring of 09. After the reformulation, which increased the amount of cellulose in the pills, many who were longtime users went very hypo with labs to prove it. It's been speculated that the increased cellulose carries the hormones right out of the body through the digestive tract for some. This isn't true for everyone and there are still some loyal Armour users but I would guess that the majority had problems.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:10 AM   #12
pip48
(female)

pip48 HB User

Thank you for the information about the reformulation. I was totally unaware of it and have had no problems. The information that I gave is exactly what the Representative at Armour told me, when they offered to supply the meds to my pharmacy. Maybe they have taken a new attitude? According to the person that I spoke to, they are still behind because of the shortage last summer. He said that they went through all of their stock piles of meds and are trying to build them up again. I am in SC, and I have had no luck getting any natural thyroid here. When I couldn't get Armour, I ask for any other natural thyroid and they didn't have that either. According to my doctors office, they have had to put patients on synthetics. The nurse actually asked me where I found the Armour. I needed their ok to buy the lower dose at the pharmacy.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:10 AM   #13
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Pip... I'm one who became hypo again on "new" Armour after successfully using it for well over 5 years. I wouldn't use it again if the president of the company would personally deliver it to my doorstep. I switched to Naturethroid, which worked for me like old Armour did; but now, I can't get it either. So now I'm buying compounded thyroid at 3 times the price and hoping beyond hope that NT will soon be available to me again.

To add to the confusion and rumors here, my compounding pharmacist tells me that he gets porcine powder from four suppliers and he hasn't run short yet. If there is only one mnfr. of it in all the US, why hasn't he had trouble getting it?

I don't usually buy into conspiracy theories, but there's something stinky in Thyroidville these days, and it ain't the porcine powder.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:30 AM   #14
pip48
(female)

pip48 HB User

Since the onset of my hypothyroidism, I have stuggled, to get diagnosed, to get on medications that work, to get information about what lab values mean. All of this without any trustworthy help from doctors. I have been told some of the most outrageous things by doctors, that are so contrary to the truth that it is scary. Lab values, for instance; despite what the experts say, doctors and labs are using old and outdated values to diagnose. When I first wanted to try Armour I was told that it wasn't approved by the FDA. The doctor wasn't lying, she really believed what she was telling me! That is the scary thing. The things that I have learned about flouride and it's afffects on the thyroid gland and that they keep it in our water anyway. I had a doctor refuse to refer me to an endrocrinologist. Just the whole system's attitude toward a major health issue, boggles my mind. Conspiracy? Yes, after what I have experienced over the last 20 years.. I could buy into it. I am afraid that I have become complacent and let my defenses down. I haven't even been asking for my labs for a few years now. Ten years ago, I wouldn't have considered not getting my own lab reports, even if I did have to fight tooth and nail to get them. You know years ago, there was a conspiracy theory that the powers that be would be able to use our water systems to drug us and make us compliant and docile. Well maybe they are?! The drug is flouride and if they just interfere enough with the thyroid production we will remain exhausted and mentally confused enough to not pay attention to what is going on. If they keep lab values for what is hypo just enough out of wack and keep synthetic meds the only accepted treatment ( as they will show good labs, yet not relieve all the symptoms )they can treat us and make a fortune in synthetic meds at the same time keeping us still lethargic enough! Believe me I know how crazy this sounds. But with 20 years of experience trying to take care of a debilitating health problem that no one in the medical community seems to know much about ( even the endos ), I swear it feels like the pharmacuetical companies and the govenment are educating our medical community to mistreat this disease. All the time I was putting into research and learning about what was wrong with me and how to best care for myself, I was fighting the doctors. I kept telling myself that there must be something a lot more complicated that I just don't understand about all of this, for the doctors to take the attitudes that they do. Then it finally hit me one day.... it isn't that there was some underlying complicated piece of information that they understood and I didn't, it was that I knew more about this than they did. They were just undereducated when it came to the endrocrine system. Endos are experts at diabeties, not thyroid problems!
Now, with the internet and vast resources of information for us, we have learned about the value of natural thyroids, and low and behold.. we can't get our hands on it??!! Not one doctor has been able to tell me why they objected to Armour, when I was first trying to get it. Not one valid reason. The only thing that I was told, was that consistency was a problem. Well that problem was in the 1950's!! Synthetics have had some issues with consistency problems too. I had to tell my doctor that the only problem that I could see with natural thyroid is that the t3 quanities were higher than normal human quanities, she didn't know that.
Conspiracy?? It sure feels like it, from here. I wonder how much money is made on the flouridation of water and who makes the money? Sorry I got carried away here. But, I find myself, again, totally frustrated the way I used to be. I sit with meds for another couple of weeks wondering if I will be able to get them again? Where I live, there is only one distributor listed for Armour thyroid for the whole state. That is my next phone call. I have this overwhelming need to understand what is going on!

Sincerely,
Pip48

Old 02-06-2010, 06:50 AM   #15
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Oh wow... You said it, sister! I agree with all of what you said.
Wondering where this political cr*p is headed worries me every single day. There are a lot of evil people in the world for whom money is the only motivation, and many of those people have MD after their names. I don't think I'll have the strength to fight them the rest of my life, you know?

Closed Thread