Originally Posted by SandieRC
I found out I have Hashimotos a little over a month ago. I have had thyroid problems since 2003 but was never tested for antibodies. I was on Armour all these years and felt great. Then when Armour was reformulated I had problems and had to switch so I switched around medicines a bunch in a 5 week time period. I then was thrown into some sort of Thyroiditis. I had been sick so I am not sure if it is Viral or Hashimotos. Now I am experiencing symptoms of both Hyper and Hypo with the most disturbing symptoms being Proptosis and Anxiety. which is when one of your eyes pops out. This also could be from a sinus infection that has lingered since I was sick. I am getting a MRI next week. It could also be from thyroid. My question is my numbers are showing normal and I am still having these symptoms. Does it take a while for them to settle down? Also, when you test the antibodies, if you are optimized do they show that they are lower? My TPO ab antibodies on 12/3/09 were 216 and then on 1/8/10 they were 188. Do they eventually go lower when I am optimized?
I can only assist with part of your question. I too have Hashimotos. One thing I have learned is that there is no "normal" experience for Hashimotos sufferers. We all suffer differently but we have similiarities also. Your question about your levels being "normal"....normal does not mean "optimal". Keep that in mind as you continue thru your journey. With Hashis you will continue to have moments of Hypo and Hyper until eventually your thyroid will die off. My experience has been, that although I'm on the right dose of Levo-T for me and 75% of the time I feel good, the other 25 percent of the time my body is busy attacking my gland and thus making me feel like I got run over by a bull dozer. My point is this. Even though you MAY be on an optimal dose of synthroid, you WILL still occassionally feel symptoms with Hashis.