It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2010, 04:07 AM   #1
(female)

Bonny2010 HB User
Low t3 help

Can somebody please tell me what it means by having normal T4 and low T3.

Thankyou.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:21 AM   #2
(female)

alakazou HB User
Re: Low t3 help

Normal T4 (thyroxine) range for an adult is: 4 - 11 mcg/dL
Increased levels are found in hyperthyroidism, acute thyroiditis, and hepatitis. Low levels can be found in Cretinism, hypothyroidism, cirrhosis, malnutrition, and chronic thyroiditis.

Normal T3 (thyroxine-inding globulation) for an adult is: 10 - 26 mcg/dL
Increased levels are found in hyperthyroidism, severe liver disease, metastatic malignancy, and pulmonary insufficiency. Decreased levels are found in hypothyroidism, normal pregnancy, and hyperestrogenis status.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2010, 05:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Are you on hormone replacement or trying to get a diagnosis?

Practically speaking, low T3 means you're hypo. Your T4 levels are only indicitive of how much prohormone you've got and if it's not converting to T3 at an adequate rate you are still going to be hypo.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
(female)

Bonny2010 HB User

What might be some of the reasons for having T4 not being able to convert to T3?

Do I need to be supplemented with T3? Iodine doesn’t seem to be helping me anymore.

Thankyou for your answers!

Old 01-27-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

There's are enzymes called deiodinases that converts T4 to T3 in the tissues. Recent studies show that not everyone has sufficient amounts of this enzyme due to genetic factors so that's one reason you can have low T3 levels. Our thyroids produce both T4 and T3 but if your thyroid is becoming hypo then it won't give you enough. This is also why some do not do well on T4-only replacement hormone.
Another reason is if you are converting your T4 to reverse T3 instead of T3. This is usually a result of adrenal fatigue and will show low T3 but normal T4 levels. A reverse T3 and free T3 test will show if you've got high levels of RT3
Either way you may need T3 replacement.

Last edited by javelina; 01-27-2010 at 08:37 AM.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #6
(female)

Bonny2010 HB User

So if I already have a normal amount of T4 wouldn't I have to be prescribed for something that can help assist the T4 to T3 conversion? Is there such thing as supplementing with the enzyme you mentioned, deiodinases? Or any other supplements that help with the conversion?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Old 02-08-2010, 06:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Another common reason why you may have conversion problem is low ferritin. Ferritin levels need to be between 70-90 to have good results with hormone replacement. There is no current way to replace deiodonase. T3 replacement is the only method to bring FT3 levels up.

Adrenal status really should be tested as well with saliva cortisol testing. Low and high cortisol will interfere with thyroid hormone conversion and transferrance into cells.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:43 AM   #8
(female)

sophiesmom59 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny2010 View Post
So if I already have a normal amount of T4 wouldn't I have to be prescribed for something that can help assist the T4 to T3 conversion? Is there such thing as supplementing with the enzyme you mentioned, deiodinases? Or any other supplements that help with the conversion?

I've been wondering the same thing myself. My T3 is in the pits.

I'm on BHRT which I know the estrogen supplement impedes conversion. I am also taking progesterone which is supposed to offset. I use the estrogen 12 hours after I've taken my Synthroid to try to prevent this from happening.

The only supplements I've read that help with the conversion are Selenium and Zinc. Selenium is also supposed to help reduce TPO antibodies. I think the max you can take is 200 mg. a day. Otherwise it could be dangerous. There are a couple of people on here who really know for sure.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:45 AM   #9
(female)

Aahhh Problems HB User

Quote:

That depends.

This is how it was explained to me by my doctor.

You have the T4, T3 and RT3, the T4 gives the T3 much needed cells so T3 can send them all around your body so you're healthy. Look at the RT3 as the "evil twin" of the T3... The RT3 steals all the cells from T4 so the T3 hardly has any to pass around the body, this is what makes you feel sick. Your Adrenals are usually exhausted at this point.
I'm not saying you have this particular thyroid issue, but it's worth getting your RT3 and Adrenals checked.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
(female)

Bonny2010 HB User

I just had some blood tests come back, and was wondering if someone can help interpret them. My doctor says that everything has come back normal. By the looks of things the results look normal, but i still dont feel well.The only test that hasn't come back is the RT3. Here are my other results -
TSH 1.8
free t4 17
free t3 4.4
I had these tests done at about 8.30am
Should i have had them done earlier? The last time i had my TSH done at about 8am it was 2.89. I have also been told i have insulin resistance.

I also have done a saliva tests for my stress hormones. Cortisol was slightly high in the morning and midmorning. My dhea levels were slighly high. I had these tested again using a blood and dhea came back normal, cortisol a little on the high end. My female hormones are also out of balance. Im not sure if its just a hormone problem or my thyroid.

Also is it a possibility that my insulin resistance is cause by high estrogen low progestrone?

I would like to hear any suggestions.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
TSH 1.8
free t4 17
free t3 4.4
I had these tests done at about 8.30am
Should i have had them done earlier?.
30 min doesn't make real difference - TSH levels can vary "on their own" too. Can you please post your labs reference ranges for those free T's?

Old 03-03-2010, 11:01 PM   #12
(female)

Bonny2010 HB User

Is this what you were after?

TSH (0.5-4.0) mIU/L
Free T4 (10-25) pmol/L
Free T3 (3.1-5.4) pmol/L

Everything looks normal. Im thinking maybe its not a thyroid problem I have anymore. Could it possibly be just a prob with my female hormones. I did a saliva test a while back, which came back with some imbalances.

Is it likely that my thyroid was part of the problem, and because my other hormones haven't been addressed properly, that could also be another part of the puzzle.

Im so confused and dont know what my problem is anymore

Old 03-04-2010, 01:47 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Yes they do look pretty normal but for many people (like me ) those "midrange levels" just aren't enough. Your FT4 and FT3 are pretty much balanced so based on this I wouldn't say you have a conversion issue (you'll know more when you get that rT3 result) - but it is possible you need your freeT's to be higher. You could try a small increase to your med dose.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 03-04-2010 at 01:48 AM.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:19 AM   #14
(female)

Bonny2010 HB User

Thankyou for your response finnmaid.

I have never been on meds. I saw a naturopath for this problem 3 years ago. I was supplemented with iodine, which has helped me tremendously with my symptoms. But I still donít feel like my health has gone back to normal. I still struggle with the same symptoms, but not as extreme as before. Do you think I should continue to supplement with iodine? Is that what the ft4 is?

Is it normal for the female sex hormones to be out of balance when someone goes through a thyroid disorder? Is there usually a link between the two? because my other hormones haven't really been addressed properly, could that also be another part of the issue?

I was also told by my doc that I have insulin resistance (had these checked every 30mins for 3 hours). This is really confusing to me, since I have been on a low carb diet (no sugar) for the past 5-6 months. And have been trying so hard to exercise with the low energy levels I have most days. I canít keep this up. Could my insulin resistance be a result of estrogen dominance?

Iím 100% sure that my thyroid was part of the problem, but Iím not sure if it still is. My doctor didnít seem to think it was necessary to chase after my rt3 results, since my ft4 ft3 were both normal.

Anybodyís thoughts on this is greatly appreciated!

Old 03-04-2010, 04:33 AM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

Here I am jumping to conclusions again, sorry Your thyroid needs iodine to make enough hormones but too much can be bad for you (obviously it has helped you so maybe there wouldn't be a problem with it). Female sex hormones can go wrong because of hypoT. What you could do is to look into possible adrenal issues that can cause all sorts of trouble with these hormones too.

Closed Thread