It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
(female)

joriebelle HB User
3 mos post thyroid surgery - tightness in throat still

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. . . I had a partial thyroidectomy (right side) on November 4th, and since then I still feel like a "lump" in my throat, almost like I have a big chunk of "stuff" stuck there. There's also a tight feeling, almost like I'm wearing a shirt that is too tight. It feels like it's on the right side only, where my surgery was.

Is this normal? Does it ever go away?

Michele

Old 01-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
(female)

Colleen In Ga HB User
Re: 3 mos post thyroid surgery - tightness in throat still

It is one month post TT for me. After my surgery, I felt like I had a blob of something hanging in my throat when I swallowed...I talked to my doc about it, and he said it was swelling and it would go away. It has! I do, though have a pulling tightness of my neck on the right side, where the scar is...I think it is just the muscles healing in my neck, however. I wish that was the only problems I was having. I am having issues with my parathyroids kicking back into action and maintaining calcium levels...that and trying to get my TSH to normal levels again......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
(female)

vanezza HB User

Hello. I too had partial thyroidectomy right side and experienced the same post-op discomfort. It does pass and it took about 9 months before I no longer felt the 'lump in the throat' sensation. It is a horrid feeling, I know, but please take heart because it will go away. I suspect it is to do with scar tissue but I don't really know.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
(female)

joriebelle HB User

Vanessa, you have no idea what a relief it was to read your message. I am really struggling with this, and the thought that it could be this way forever terrifies me. . .

WHen did you have your surgery?

Michele

Last edited by moderator2; 01-31-2010 at 05:07 PM. Reason: posted contact info - please read the posting rules

Old 02-01-2010, 05:26 AM   #5
(female)

Opal25 HB User

It's been 10 months for me since my total thyroidectomy this Feb, 8th and I still feel like somone is taking their finger and pushing on my throat its is a very uncomfortable feeling. It happens less often tha it use to and I can't stand for anything to touch my neck such as a shirt its still feels like I'm being choked.

Last edited by Opal25; 02-01-2010 at 05:26 AM.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

It can take a long long time, many months for swelling to go down internally, and that might be what you are feeling.

I had a weird tightness on the outside, which was kind of numb, it was a nerve issue, as nerves are moved during surgery, and that took about a year to go away, but wasn't really bothersome, since it was external, just odd.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
(female)

mslux HB User

Ditto for me after seven months after the same surgery you had. I still have a slight lump there and feels like something in my throat when I swallow, but don't have any trouble swallowing, so I guess its all good.

I had my 6mo after surgery ultra sound last Saturday and the office called today to say everything is normal so it seems most of our experiences are more or less consistant.
I still have some numbness as well

Last edited by mslux; 02-01-2010 at 07:26 PM.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:55 AM   #8
(female)

vanezza HB User

Hi Michelle!

I had my surgery in June 2007, so I can honestly tell you that I feel fine now. For years before diagnosis I was unable to bear anything tight against my throat and this feeling persisted after surgery along with that lump in the throat sensation, and some numbness on the scar area too. All these sensations have now disappeared. I can't tell you exactly when I became aware that I was fully recovered but, as I said, about a year for the swallowing discomfort, nearer eighteen months for the numbness and about two years before I could wear necklaces with abandon again (and high necklines). It seems endless but it does all go away and before you know it you will suddenly realise that your throat and neck are fine. Good luck with it, thinking of you. X

Old 02-27-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
(female)

maryfran33 HB User

I had a total thyroidectomy about six weeks ago. I was scheduled for a partial parathyroidectomy because of an adenoma on one of the parathyroids. The surgeon admitted he had trouble finding it. He decided to take out the whole thyroid (said it was small and fragile) and he took out about 2 1/2 of the parathyroid glands. As a result, I am now on 100 mcg. Synthroid and am having trouble with low calcium levels. So far I am taking 600 mg. calcium citrate 3 times a day and a prescription strength Vitamin D called Calcitriol, 25mcg. 2 times a day. (I had been taking 112 mcg. Synthroid, but developed insomnia. I'm surely hoping that the lower dosage helps.)
My blood calcium level is 8.3, and the ionized calcium is 1.05. The doctor wants me to up the amount of calcium to 2400 mg. per day. I am reluctant because I'm concerned about kidney stones.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Mary

Old 02-27-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
(female)

Sher_A HB User

I felt like this for a long time too. Have you been started on any thyroid medications yet? Seemed after I got started on synthroid, all those feelings and the swelling went down more quickly.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #11
(female)

pwells928 HB User

Thanks so much I just had my parathyroid gland on left bottom removed and was worried about the same feeling. Just be glad when calcium levels level off.

Closed Thread