It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
(female)

lisavdw HB User
i know something is wrong and keep being told it is all in my head

my problems started with a multi nodular gotre. then i have my son and he was 3 weeks old and i had lost all my baby weight and 13kg in that short space of time. i was sitting outside with my hubby the one day and i said my throat is sore and of course he wanted to make me up a old wives cocktail thinking i was getting a cold- but i said no it feels like something pushing on my throat. i went to the dr and my heart rate was 160bpm. they put me on beta blockers and my weight ballooned and i felt like hell. with in a few short week my thyroid had stopped working and i was diagnosed with hasimato disease. i was put on eltroxin but every now and then i get these palpatations and feel lerthagic, like i cant think,get these tingling legs and arms, moody, dont sleep,weight gain dispite healthy diet and 2 hours a day in the gym. well i am in the midst of one such episode and went to the dr yesterday and he said my thyroid levels are normal- he said my antibodies are raised (660- and the normal range is <5.6) when i said what are you going to do about the antibodies he said "nothing that just shows that it runs in your family" i was devastated. he offered me antidepressives and i refused- i am not depressed. i told him about the multi nodular gotre and he said that because a had had the fluid aspirated off a few many years ago and it was not malignant then i should be fine. then i told him about the heart palpatations and he did and ECG. there were no ectopics during the tests but he told me i have a heart problem- i nearly cryed cause to me the ECG was normal. he could not tell me what the heart problem was -he said he THINKS "it is a block" needless to say i walked out. i am so tired of being told that this is in my head- i am so desperate for some ray of light which is the i have posted my story. is there any help out there- please

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
(female)

Galsal59 HB User
Re: i know something is wrong and keep being told it is all in my head

I'm so very sorry for all you're going through. Sorry, but that Doctor sounds like a MAJOR p-i-t-a and needs to be replaced....pronto before things get worse!

Just my humble opinion of course.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
(female)

WVPeach HB User

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I can totally relate to your experience though. I've been feeling miserable for close to three years now. I would talk to my PCP about my symptoms....cold all the time, exhausted all the time, moody, irritable, muscle cramps, back pain, near daily "morning sickness" .....and every single time and for every single symptom he chalked it up to depression....which really just made me angry. Just because I'm a woman doesn't automatically mean my symptoms are related to depression. I mean, really, I know my body better than anyone, and I knew I just didn't feel right. Didn't finally get some action until I called my GYN. And she ordered blood work and US and that really got the ball moving. Have since found that I have thyroid nodules that have increased in size and multiplied in numbers in less than 6 months. Now scheduled to have a partial thyroidectomy on the 16th of this coming month. I was discussing some of your same symptoms that I was experiencing with my ENT ....acute episodes of tachycardia, shortness of breath, spike in blood sugar and blood pressure, chest pain, tingling in my arms and hands, pain in my chest....literally felt like a cardiac event or anxiety attack. Well, he suggested that it could be that my nodules were periodically releasing excessive doses of thyroid hormone, causing me to have "hyper" events....Now obviously, I still have no definite idea of what is going on or how we are going to treat this yet, but at least we are on the right track. My blood work has always been "normal" so no one wanted to consider I have a thyroid problem.....but I have been tracking and trending my results and took a list of such with me to see the ENT just to be able to intelligently discuss the possibility that maybe this really is affecting my thyroid function. I mean, yeah, all my results are still normal, but they have changed significantly over the last 18-24 months.....so I guess my point is....don't give up. Find a doctor who listens.....and above all, be an active participant in your healthcare.

Good luck. I hope you get some answers soon.

WVPeach

Old 03-25-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

If you have changes on your EKG that indicate a heart block then you need to see a cardiologist. Not all heart blocks are benign and all need followup. I guess I don't understand because you are saying that you are being told this is all in your head but your doc told you that your heart is showing an abnormality. Please follow up on this and make sure it really is OK because this could be a separate issue from your Hashi's or a bad offshoot from the disease.

It sounds like you are undertreated. You need to take a more active approach to your treatment and not expect doctors to do everything for you. Most are woefully under-informed about this disease and the clinical guidelines they are following were written by idiots. Do some of your own research and read up on posts here about hashi's and how it's correctly treated. Just giving someone some thyroxine and hoping for the best rarely works, you need to test vitamin and mineral levels as well as adrenal function and all of these must be addressed as well as getting the replacement hormone levels up to where your thyroid is completely suppressed to stop the antibody attacks and the "Hashi's swings".

There is a lot to learn and since most doctors don't bother it's going to be up to you. I know this is surprising that our trusted physicians are clueless but that's the way it is. Most of us here have learned that we have to keep searching when necessary to find a doc who will act as a partner in our care and be willing to listen and order the labs that our research indicates are needed as well as be open to other forms of treatment such as desiccated thyroid or other hormone replacement that contains T3.

Keep asking questions here and post your labs so others can comment and help you along the way. Good luck and don't lose heart!

Old 03-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
(female)

lisavdw HB User

thanks for your responses.
Javelina-thanks for your advice- the ECG showed no changes and there was definatly no block ( was a trauma nurse for 15 years- the dr did not know and i wanted to see what he was going to put it down to) you are quite right about being undertreated- i think so too and i am taking a way more active approach- i am going to the dr informed this time cause i am tired of feeling like this. have been researching a whole lot lately. if i dont win with one dr i am moving to the next and the next till i find one that will help. my most worring thing at the moment is the antibodies, the palpatations and the nodes on my thyroid.
the latest thyroid function was
TSH -2.95mU/L (0.40- 4.00)
free T4 -16pmol/L ( 9.0- 19.0)
free T3 -3.5pmol/L (2.6- 5.7)
TPOab -660.0 IU/ml (<5.6)
TGab -3.4 IU/ml (<4.1)
at the moment i am only on eltroxin ( thyroxine 100 micrograms daily)
the TSH it self appears with in normal ranges(and that is why the dr are doing nothing) but i feel really bad- at the moment my heart is beating so fast- checked a while ago and it was 130bpm. and the palpatations are shocking- about one every 2-3 minutes. everything today feel like an effort. exhausted!!
i have taken everything that everyone has said onboard and if there is any other thoughts or comments please share as i am going to a different Dr next week and would apprieciate kind of advise- in order to be better informed
WVPEACH- good luck for your op this month and i am really glad that you are on the right track. hope it is all sorted out soon

Old 03-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

kw123 HB User

I have been going through same as you. 140 bpm palps every couple of minutes too. I went to ER and had critically low potassium and TSH of 5.41. Still not treated for hypo. I would test for potassium. I am hypo with hyper symtoms. I have been through tons of cardiac, kidney, endocrine and gasto issues. I also have severe diarrhea and vomitting bile in am. Let me know what you find out. I bet after all this other testing I will get Dx with hypo thyroidism. I go on the 31st for more thyroid checks. My TSH fluctuautes all the time. My 5 times to ER I had all diifrent #'s. This has all been within the last 2 months too. Let me know what you find out. Maybe we can help each other. Do you have other symptoms? I would love to hear what they are. Thanks-kw

WV peach- I also have the morning sickness with puking bile. Is this what you have????

Last edited by kw123; 03-28-2010 at 12:26 PM.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
(female)

WVPeach HB User

KW123 - My morning sickness occasionally produces bile, but most of the time its just serious dry heaves and gagging in the sink. I try hard to stave off anything beyond the dry heaves as once I seriously start vomiting, I can't seem to stop. This has been going on for so long (prob close to 3yrs now), that my kids have even come to expect this as being part of my usual morning routine.....get up, get dressed, gag and "puke", brush teeth and head off to work.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

kw123 HB User

I do the exact same thing. This happens periodically. I have it bad this month> I hope it goes away. Do you relate it to hypo? I had more thyroid bloodwork done and we will see what happens.... I will let you know. kw

Old 04-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
(female)

WVPeach HB User

I don't know for sure if its related to thyroid or not. Its been going on so long it feels like part of everyday life now. And its not occasional. Its daily. My PCP initially went the "are you pregnant?" route...all tests negative btw. And given that I don't want my husband anywhere near me these days its hardly even possible. After that was ruled out he went the "anxiety" or nervous stomach route. Put me on prilosec which I have not been able to make myself take consistently since I was the same in pukey feelings with or without it. I don't know if this is a symptom of hypo or not, but my mood swings have been horrible, my tolerance for my husbands annoying habits and behaviors is non existent. Actually, we are on the verge of divorce because of my inability to deal with all of my extreme life stressors right now (my husband is also counted in as one of my stressors at the moment). I'd really like to know if its normal for hypo or thyroid issues in general to make you feel so disassociated from you emotional feelings....well all but the angry and irritable ones for me right now.......any info or advice would be helpful.

Thanks.
Peach

Old 04-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Since the brain contains the highest number of T3 receptors in the body it's very likely your mood disturbances could be a result of inadequate thyroid treatment. I'm not sure about the vomiting but since low thyroid does disrupt GI and can slow or impair digestion it's very possible that it's manifesting in this way as well. Unless you are optimal on your thyroid meds with high range FT3 levels many symptoms can be attributed to hypothyroidism since it affects practically every body system..

Old 04-02-2010, 06:15 PM   #11
(female)

WVPeach HB User

well, there could be part of the problem....I am not currently being treated for anything thyroid. I go in two weeks to have the left lobe removed, but to this point have yet to be treated with any thyroid meds. Only B12, D2 and D3. Well, and BC from my gyn for the mood swings. we'll see after the surgery I guess.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

lala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB User

To All:

I have hashimotos and I am also hypo thyroid. My antibodies were 30000. I am on synthroid 106mg a day. I have very bad stomach problems. Went to gastro dr he feels it is IBS. I have suffered for years with fatigue, body aches, balance issues, tingling on top of head, anxiety, depression (because I don't feel good) etc. the list goes on. I have been to millions of doctors including alternative drs. One of the alternative drs that I went to feels that the blood work for thyroid is not accurate. You have to go by your symptoms and your basil temp. I was suppose to take my temp every morning before getting out of bed for a week. If it is low that is a good indicator that your thyroid is off. I don't understand how to treat something like that without blood work. If you go on a medication from a dr that does not go by blood work then how do you know if the medications is the right dose. Anyway, I stayed on synthroid and I go to an endo dr and rely on blood, but not really sure if that is the best thing.
From many things I have read, i have seen were ones blood work comes out normal but they get treated for hypo and their symptoms go away. I hope this info is helpful and if anyone has any feedback I would love go hear from them. Good luck. LaLa

Old 04-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #13
(female)

goodog HB User

Nodules need to be addressed! Not ignored! They make everything abnormal even if anyone says your readings are normal, it doesn't mean anything unless they are looking in the right place for the right thing. A lot of docs just won't admit they don't know anything. They prefer to let you go on suffering rather than get you some real help.
I hope you will be able to find a better doc. I don't think yours is any good.
Sincerely,
Judy

Last edited by goodog; 04-17-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Closed Thread