It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010, 07:43 AM   #1
(female)

GreenMachine82 HB User
More information about Hyperparathyroidism in Young People

Good morning,

I am looking for more information about hyperparathyroidism, the diagnostic testing, and length of time dealing with the disease. If anyone has some information about this, I would be very grateful.

About me: I am female, 27 years old. I have been suffering with multiple kidney stones for the last 4-5 months, as well as exhaustion, and general pain (not just the severe pain from the kidney stones). I was finally diagnosed with hyperparathryoidism this past week. I already have a consult for surgery so I am not really worried about the future so much, but am more curious as to how long I might have been dealing with this without noticible symptoms.

My calcium levels have varied from 13-13.7 in the last week. My PTH level was 587ng. From what I understand, this is very high, with normal being in the range 10-65. I read on parathyroid.com that levels greater than 200 could signify a very old tumor - possible 10-12 years old. My PTH level is almost triple that value. Does this mean I could have had the disease for more than 10 years - possibly when I was a pre-teen? Or does it indicate that I might have more than one problem parathyroid? Or even more significant, it is possible that I have caught parathyroid cancer early on (I read that the calcium levels for cancer were 14-15, and PTH level in the thousands)?

Has anyone had levels this high before? If so, what is your age. I feel like I am somewhat on the young side to be dealing with this, especially at the levels I have. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread