It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
(male)

massbear HB User
TT and sleep issues

I had a TT in 2005 - 8cm Hurthle cell adenoma on one side, tall cell cancer on the other. No issues with the surgery other than temporary numbness in the hands, which faded after calcium administration. I was on full replacement thyroid hormone prior to surgery, now taking 200mcg daily.

Prior to the surgery, I slept like a dead bear. Fell asleep quickly, slept through the night. Ever since the surgery, I can fall asleep (though not as quickly), but after 2 or 3 hours, I wake up. Then back to sleep, only to wake up in an hour, hour and a half. My sense is that I wake 4-6 times a night. Don't think its apnea, i.e., I don't 'startle' awake, no breathing problems, shortness of breath, no snoring, etc. I'm usually up for the day by 4:00, having gone to bed at 10-10:30.

Anyone else feel like they just don't sleep well after their TT? Anything working for you to solve this problem?

Old 03-30-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: TT and sleep issues

I don't have a TT but have had many sleep issues with my hypothyroidism. Was dx with central and obstructive sleep apnea and had many fragmented sleep issues. I've found that melatonin helps me a great deal. Also making sure that my magnesium levels are good is beneficial.

It might be good to get some recent labs and see if you're on an adequate amount of hormone replacement as well as check your adrenal status with saliva cortisol testing. Adrenal fatigue will cause many sleep issues as well as inadequate thyroid hormone replacement. Also checking things like vitamin and mineral levels can identify deficiencies that can be contributing.

It wouldn't hurt to do a run in a sleep lab just to be sure apnea isn't at play. You don't have to snore or gasp to have it and it can be very dangerous if untreated long-term so I highly recommend it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread