It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
(female)

sandshore HB User
Low Vitamin D and Hypothyroidism?

Hi Everyone.
I'm not sure if I should post this on the Sjogren's board or the thyroid board.
(I am recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's.)

Today I learned that I have a pretty severe Vitamin D deficiency. My number was 14. Healthy numbers start at about 30. The doctor has prescribed once a once a week mega dose 50,000 IU, and I was told in addition to take 2000 IU's daily.

I just think this is interesting since I live on the West Coast where we have lots of sun, plus I drink so much milk.

Has anyone noticed any connection between thyroid issues and Vitamin D levels?

Sandshore

Old 04-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
(female)

tiredpuppy HB User
Re: Low Vitamin D and Hypothyroidism?

Hi,

I have Hashimoto's and similar Vitamin D numbers, and also had low iron. I think it is very common to see Vitamin D, iron, B vitamin deficiencies with thyroid/autoimmune stuff. I live on the West Coast too and spend lots of time outdoors, so I was surprised to have the test come back low. The hard part is remembering to take the supplement once a week!

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

I have Hashimotos as well. Also have low D which drops again each time I stop the mega doses, lowish B12 320 (211-911) which my GP and Endo are not worried about and low Red Blood Cells RBC 3.88 (4-5.2) which GP is also not worried about as hemoglobin and hematocrit are ok. Working on other issues right now that I will post separately. Just wanted to join this "so-called" Hashi club! (((Also negative for Sjogrens but have keratoconjunctivitis sicca aka sicca syndrome)))

Last edited by hopalong_too; 04-05-2010 at 08:00 PM.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Vitamin D deficiency and hypothyroidism go hand-in-hand. With our metabolic dysfunction we do not synthesize or absorb vitamins and minerals well hence why we're often low in D, B12, and ferritin. I live in Arizona and my D levels were in the low 20s. I supplimented with 6000iu of D3 daily and brought my levels up into the mid 60s at last testing.

I'm not a fan of the mega-dose 50,000iu D2 (ergocalciferol) that many physicians are so quick to prescribe. It's not as bioidentical as cheap over the counter D3 (Cholecalciferol) which you can safely take up to 10,000 iu daily without the risk of toxicity that the D2 can convey. Per the Vitamin D Council:

Quote:
As far as vitamin D supplements are concerned, we believe cholecalciferol is the preferred oral form of vitamin D, as it is the compound your skin makes naturally when you go in the sun. It is more potent and perhaps even safer than the synthetic analog, ergocalciferol, in more common use. Cholecalciferol is 1.7 times more efficient at raising 25(OH)D levels than is ergocalciferol.
Also you need to make sure your calcium levels are OK (ie <10) before starting on vitamin D megadose supplimenting to be sure the parathyroids are not the cause of the low D levels.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
(female)

sandshore HB User

Thanks "Tired Puppy, Hopalong too and Javelina for the information.

My iron level is borderline low so I am working on supplementing that, also.
My calcium level is 9.3 (range is 8.5-10.5).
B-12 is 634 (range is 200 to 910).
My d-3 was 14 on the lab test but the d-2 was "less than 4"

Javelina, Thank you very much for the info about the two kinds of vitamin D. Vitamin D-3 seems like the best one to use, but perhaps I need both for a few weeks just to bring that D-2 up.
I'll discuss with doctor on Thursday.

Sandshore

Old 04-06-2010, 08:52 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User

I am also Vit D deficient (my number was 18) and I've been wondering about hypothyroidism. The Vit D tablets make me SO NAUSEOUS that I don't want to take them. I have to split them up through out the day which gets annoying. I have enough going on without having to remember to take parts of a Vit D every few hours. . I guess I'll continue taking them to see if they help with my fatigue, cold etc. Gosh I'm so sleepy....

Last edited by curly fry; 04-06-2010 at 09:22 AM. Reason: My number was 18, not 8

Old 04-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

I have no idea why you were tested for D2 sandshore. Unless you are supplimenting D2 your levels would be nonexistant because it's not naturally occurring in your body. The only test to diagnose vitamin D deficiency is a 25-hydroxyvitamin D.

Curly fry, are you taking D3 or D2? The D3 shouldn't cause nausea unless you are megadosing but I would recommend splitting D3 during the day into several 2000iu tablets, or as much as you can tolerate. We need vitamin D to carry calcium into our bones so low levels will lead to severe bone loss, it's extremely important to get your levels up. Definitely look up the Vitamin D Council site as it's a wealth of information on vitamin D deficiency.

Last edited by javelina; 04-06-2010 at 09:11 AM.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User

I take (or I try to take) 1200mg a day- 2 600mg tablets. So I split them up in halves and take it through out the day with food. I have a few in a zip lock bag that I carry with me so I don't forget (which I still do) to take them. I have to check the bottle to see if they are D3 or D2. I'll check the site out. Thanks.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #9
(female)

sandshore HB User

Javelina,

That is the test that I took. My basic number is 14. They then have two other lines where they split out the D-2 and D-3. It's just some fluke in how they record the test, I think (and your explanation is probably why my number for D-2 is recorded as "less than 4").

Curly Fry,
I'm going to start liquid Vitamin D-3 drops today (as soon as I eat). I'm going to add it to milk or juice. Perhaps if it's mixed in with the food it won't cause nausea.

Sandshore

Old 04-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
(female)

catsma97504 HB User

When I was first tested for Vitamin D my levels were practically non-existent. The lab result stated <0.7. I found that the oil based capsule did not cause stomach upset, whether I took D2 or D3. Because I obviously have a problem synthesizing D and I live in Oregon as well as work in an office environment, I still have to take 5,000-10,000 IU daily. And, in the summer I can get away with taking 1,000-2,000 IU daily.

One of the things I've read was the a good baseline was 1,000 IU D per 100 pounds. So, someone who weighed 150 pounds would need 1,500 IU D daily. There are many variables, but this was an easy formula to start with. Those who live further north see less sun, especially during the winter months, and therefore need more D than those who live closer to the equator.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:25 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I don't have thyroid problems but this info may help. My 25 Hydroxy D3 is 59ng/ml.
I take 2000IU D3 3times daily. And, I do not have a gall bladder.

Vitamin D is an oil soluble Vitamin/Harmone so when taking it --- I think it will be best to take it with meals that your gallbladder puts out bile as well as lipase to absorb the vitamin D.

Also, I read in a Dr. Mercola newsletter that a person should take 1000IU- per 25 lbs of body weight-- daily with an limit of 10,000 IUs daily.

I found that different labs also produce various results by 10%.

I live in South Carolina.
I take a digestive enzyme with each meal.

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 05-09-2010 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Typos

Old 09-13-2010, 08:21 PM   #12
(female)

sue evans HB User

calcium levels and Vit D levels are interrelated. My son , who has no thyroid, recently had high calcium levels and high 125VitD3 levels, which was diagnosed as sarcoidosis. Sorting out his thyroid replacement hormone issues by moving to natural thyroid extract has made a big difference. The thyroid gland makes calcitonin which balances calcium in the body.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:15 PM   #13
(female)

txgal51 HB User

I have had hypothyroidism for 30 years and take a daily thyroid supplement. I was diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency last year and am also taking a D3 supplement daily. My husband, who is a pharmacist, tells me that almost everyone in the US is vitamin D deficient b/c the FDA or whatever governing board this is raised the normal range for vitamin D, so now when people have their blood tested the results are showing that they are low. It probably has nothing to do with your sun exposure or your dairy intake--many people are showing low on blood tests now simply b/c the normal range has been raised. I take 2000 IU a day of D3 and my level is now normal on recent blood tests. Hope this was helpful.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #14
(female)

iceychips HB User
Wink Re: Low Vitamin D and Hypothyroidism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandshore View Post
Hi Everyone.
I'm not sure if I should post this on the Sjogren's board or the thyroid board.
(I am recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's.)

Today I learned that I have a pretty severe Vitamin D deficiency. My number was 14. Healthy numbers start at about 30. The doctor has prescribed once a once a week mega dose 50,000 IU, and I was told in addition to take 2000 IU's daily.

I just think this is interesting since I live on the West Coast where we have lots of sun, plus I drink so much milk.

Has anyone noticed any connection between thyroid issues and Vitamin D levels?

Sandshore
I too just got my lab results back today and have low vitamin D. It was a 20.
MY T4. Free was 1.14 and my TSH was 6.690. My prolactin was 20.9. My doctor is an idiot and does not listen to me so any insight would be helpful.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #15
(female)

sjde HB User

I too am hypothyroid (Hashimoto's) and was found to have low vitamin D. I live in Denver and drink lots of milk and also was diagnosed with osteopenia in my mid 40's and osteoporosis in my mid 50's. 2000 IU a day of Vitamin D didn't help but the 50,000 weekly for 6 weeks did and now I am on that dose once a month.

Sue

Closed Thread