It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

HeidiBR HB User
Synthroid side effects - dizzy, bloated? Second opinion needed?

Hi all -

Can anyone offer any insight?

I am a 45 year old fenale. 5'7" and 145 lbs. I am fairly athletic. I was having some symptoms that I thought might be hypothyroidism (cold, couldn't lose weight despite diet/exercise, tired, achy, etc..) based on symptoms and family history of thyroid issues (Mom, sister, brother, aunts, cousins).

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's last Friday. On Saturday, I started taking .25 mcg of Synthroid. I am supposed to ramp up to .50 mcg but started with a half pill per doctor's instructions. I was fine on Saturday, but on Sunday after taking my med, I had the following symptoms:

Dizzy and nauseated
Feel like I am high or a bit drunk
Slow
Sleepy
Bloated; gained 6 pounds overnight
Face is very round, eyes are very narrow
Stomach is bloated and distended
Depressed and weepy

I took the med Monday and today (Tuesday) and still have the same symptoms.

The only time I feel like "me" is late at night when the effects of the pill wear off, or in the morning before I take the med. I am feeling really, really lousy.

I know this is related to the med because I did not have ANY of these symptoms before I started the med on Saturday, and the symptoms kick in about 2 hours after taking the med.

What is up with this? I feel WORSE than before I started the meds. I was actually feeling really good before starting the meds.

Should I get a second opinion? I am wondering if I even need to take the Synthroid?

My labs, by the way, are:

TSH 3.420 (.45-4.5)
T4 Free Direct 1.21 (.82-1.77)
T3 Free Serum 2.9 (2.0-4.4)
Thyroid Peroxidase 36 (<35 IU/ml)

White blood cell 5.3 (3.8-10.8)
Red blood cell 4.14 (3.8-5.10)
Hemoglobin 12.8 (11.7-15.5)
Hematocrit 38.7 (35-45%)
MCV 93.6 (80-100)
MCH 30.9 (27-33)
RDW 14.8 (11-15%)
Platelet Count 234 (140-400)
Cortisol, A.M. 13.2 (4.0-22)

Ultrasound was normal.

Any thoughts? I am totally miserable.

Thanks...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Synthroid side effects - dizzy, bloated? Second opinion needed?

It sounds like something in the synthroid besides the T4 that you are reacting to (T4 is very slow acting and takes a good long time to build in your system). I seem to recall that Synthroid has acacia and lactose in the formula, it's possible you are sensitive to one of these.

A natural alternative is a desiccated thyroid called Nature-throid which is hypoallergenic. Ask your doctor for a prescription for this and see if you do better on it. Also Levoxyl doesn't have lactose or acacia in it I believe.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

HeidiBR HB User

I, too, am thinking it is one of the fillers in the Synthroid. Today was a bit less heinous than yesterday. I will give it another couple of days, and then I'll try taking the med at night to see if that makes a difference.

I don't think my endo prescribes the dessicated hormones.

Thank you so much!

Old 04-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

There aren't too many docs that prescribe dessicated thyroid. It doesn't hurt to ask though.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

I believe the 50mcg Synthroid is the only dosage with no dye.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:03 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

HeidiBR HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopalong_too View Post
I believe the 50mcg Synthroid is the only dosage with no dye.
Yes, that is correct. I just can't imagine why I am having these symptoms. It is too early for the T4 in the med to be affecting me. The symptoms only show up after I take the pill.

I am going to try taking the med at night before bed. Since it makes me sleepy and dopey, I can at least sleep it off.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
(female)

SandieRC HB User

Heidi, Are you feeling better? I am taking Synthroid, only a week and a half into it and I am also feeling bloated and dizzy. Has it gone away for you?

Old 04-08-2010, 05:11 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

HeidiBR HB User

Hi Sandie -

Yesterday I skipped the pill in the morning and took it at night 3.5 hours after I ate dinner. I figured that way my body had all night to process the pill and I would be asleep and not know if any side effects It worked like a charm. I was not bloated this morning, nor am I dizzy or spacey.

I drank a ton of water yesterday and played a very vigorous game of racquetball in the evening with my husband. The two effects combined to make me pee like crazy and get rid of a bunch of water.

I've only done this one night - we'll see how it progresses.

Some folks have an issue with taking it at night - it keeps them awake. Since Synthroid makes me sleepy, that is not an issue with me.

See:

< edited >

I have to up my dose to 50 this week. I am nervous about that since I had such an adverse response to 25.

I hope you feel better soon!

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-08-2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Please do not post disallowed Internet websites, or suggest Internet searches, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Old 04-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #9
(female)

SandieRC HB User

Heidi, That is interesting, keep me posted on how that goes for you as far as taking your pill at night. What happened to you when you raised your dose?? I think I will need to raise mine soon.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:02 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

HeidiBR HB User

I haven't raised my dose yet. I am going to do that this weekend. I'm nervous, given how I reacted when I started the med. I'll let you know how that goes.

Good news: I am finally starting to sweat when I exercise. I think that might mean my metabolism is starting to revive?

Old 04-29-2010, 09:34 AM   #11
(female)

Stabevrian HB User

I just started taking 25mg and I am feeling nauseous and tired. I take mine in the morning.

Closed Thread