It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
(female)

luvmy2girls HB User
Arrow How long after taking Synthroid do I need to wait to take Welchol?

So I was taking my synthroid at night before bed but, what happens is, I end up staying up too late. My husband works late so we normally have supper around 7:30 - 8:00 and i was told to wait 2 hours after eating to take the the synthroid but i still feel very full and can definitely tell my stomach is NOT empty so I wait 3-4 hours. Anyways, I've decided to start taking it in the morning instead, however I take Welchol which is a cholesterol lowering medicine that my doc has prescribed me for Bile Salt Diarrhea. The insert that they print off at the drug store states that it has an affect on the absorption of sythroid and they should not be taken together. So how long after I take they synthroid in the AM should I wait to take the welchol? Without the welchol I can't eat or drink anything or it causes me severe stomach cramping with diarrhea to follow.

what would you guys suggest?

thanks in advance for your suggestions

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: How long after taking Synthroid do I need to wait to take Welchol?

You have to wait 4 hours after taking Synthroid to take vitamins, iron, and dairy products. So, I am assuming that you prolly need to wait 4 hours.

Someone else might have another suggestion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
(female)

luvmy2girls HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady50 View Post
You have to wait 4 hours after taking Synthroid to take vitamins, iron, and dairy products. So, I am assuming that you prolly need to wait 4 hours.

Someone else might have another suggestion.
i didn't know that about dairy. I take my synthroid with milk because i have horrible GERD.... I wonder what else i need to know about when to take syntroid and what NOT to take it with.

Thanks for your reply

Last edited by luvmy2girls; 04-06-2010 at 03:57 PM.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

You should take Welchol at least 4 hours after the Synthroid. It can bind up the Synth and carry it out of your body before it can be absorbed.

IMO, taking Synth with milk probably will be ok as long as you take it that way every day. The calcium in the milk might bind up some of the Synth leaving it unabsorbed, although the natural calcium in milk is probably not as binding as calcium carbonate in supplements and antacids. If you take with milk every time, you might eventually need a higher dose than you would if you took it with water, since you might not be getting the benefit of the entire dose you take. It definitely would be better to take it with water, an hour before breakfast, and 4 hours apart from calcium, iron, estrogen meds, antacids, and of course, the Welchol. There may be other meds listed on the Synth insert sheet. (If by chance they aren't, there's a comprehensive list on the Synth site.)

Hope that helped.

Last edited by midwest1; 04-06-2010 at 10:30 PM.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:41 PM   #5
(female)

luvmy2girls HB User
Wink Re: How long after taking Synthroid do I need to wait to take Welchol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
There may be other meds listed on the Synth insert sheet. (If by chance they aren't, there's a comprehensive list on the Synth site.)

Hope that helped.
Thanks for your reply... I guess I will start taking it with water.. and I will look at the Synthroid website to find a list of meds that shouldn't be taken with it.

Thanks ladies!

Closed Thread