It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
(female)

thyroida HB User
Parathyroid problem? Test results

Does this sound like Hyperparathyroidism; should I be concerned with these results? Calcium level fluctuate from 9.5 to 10.3 over past year; Vit D tested low. PTH tested 73 (range 14-72) with Calc 9.5. Is this Hyperparathyroidism?

Old 04-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

firebird56 HB User
Re: Parathyroid problem? Test results

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyroida View Post
Does this sound like Hyperparathyroidism; should I be concerned with these results? Calcium level fluctuate from 9.5 to 10.3 over past year; Vit D tested low. PTH tested 73 (range 14-72) with Calc 9.5. Is this Hyperparathyroidism?
Wow! Your numbers are so amazingly close to mine it's scary--and the answer is a resounding YES! I just had my tumor out five weeks ago. Please tell me you have figured out you have one, too? I hope you have done your research by looking up high calcium and finding the best expert there is in Tampa!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
(female)

thyroida HB User

Did you experience hair loss with the Parathyroid issue? I've lost about 50% over my hair this past year.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:47 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

firebird56 HB User

Yes, I have experienced the sadness of losing about half of my hair as well. I experienced so many other symptoms also. Even more than all of those that are listed on the parathyroid website. I now know this is common among many of us having suffered with a PT tumor!

Old 05-02-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
(female)

Songcanary HB User

Firebird, I was wondering what other symptoms you had. I am 54 yrs old, menopausal on BHRT since Jan '10. I have extreme fatigue, chronic nausea, weight loss, lightneadedness, food allergies, hair loss, just generally feeling malaise for 2+ yrs now. I have osteopenia with a 10% loss in the last two yrs, even though until recently I have worked out 3x a week for decades. Can't even work a job I love; that is killing me. I just wait for each day to pass, it is horrible. Well, I saw my wonderful allergist recently for his opinion, armed with my past labs and he is suspicious of parathyroid disease and I am currently awaiting blood results. He did not see my PTH results though because I forgot those pages so it may have made a difference to him, I don't know. I have read Dr. Norman's website, it is excellent but I don't have classic numbers. Anyone have thoughts on these:

Jan 09
Serum ca 10.4 (8.6-10.2)

Feb 09
Serum ca 9.8 (8.6-10.2)
Ionized ca 5.26 (4.8-5.6)
PTH 27.9 (10.0-65.0)

July 09
Serum ca 10.2 (8.6-10.2)
PTH 36.8 (10.0-65.0)

April '10
Serum ca 9.8 (8.6-10.2)
Ionized ca 5.06 (4.8-5.6)

I have been worked up from head to toe in the last two years, I could write a book, all normal; YEAH RIGHT. Anyway, I am anxious to see these new results. Any thoughts in the meantime? Thanks to anyone for any info!

Old 05-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

I would love to know how you make out with this! I have normal PTH numbers with elevated serum calcium 10.5-11.4 (except on a couple tests) but ALWAYS elevated ionized calcium. I am going to a university teaching hospital this week and if they tell me no then I will contact Dr. Norman and pay the fee to see what he has to say. He originally told me "yes", then "no", then seek help locally. I will pay his fee for a thorough review as I am so tired of all this testing and feeling awful! I am on HRT but my bone density fell 5.7% last year.

Good luck and be sure to post what you find out.......

Old 05-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
(female)

Songcanary HB User

Thanks Hopalong for the reply! I probably won't know results till later this week but I will post when I get them. Sounds like your numbers are much worse than mine, I wonder why Dr. N gave you a yes/no answer??? I really hope we both can find out what is going on. I am running out of avenues to be sure. We are keeping all fingers crossed.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:23 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

firebird56 HB User

Dear Songcanary, had all but 2 sympt listed by Dr. Norman. Pardon the frankness, but addt'l sympt were burning when urinating, foul vag discharge, unbelievable skin wrinkling (I, too, am 54), nail growth changes, painful, swollen ankles, knees, bursa & hips, bad lower backache, loss of taste, teeth shifting, painful bone spurs. I may not remember all, but as you can see it varies w/many people. ALL I just mentioned have resolved as well as the other sympt (unfortunately hair loss is still present, but I have some other ongoing concerns now). Does sound to me like your PTH level may be one of those that is harder to diagnose, but you are losing calcium from your bones for a reason! I do not regret it for an instant-- contacting Dr. N! Please keep us posted. Not sure if I addressed all you want to know, but I would be happy to answer anything within the scope of my knowledge! We gotta stick together, don't we?

Old 05-03-2010, 05:21 AM   #9
(female)

Songcanary HB User

Hello Firebird,

Indeed we must stick together because good doctors in this area seem to be few and far between. Wow, you have quite a list of symptoms, I am sooooo happy you are feeling better now. Just for kicks yesterday I emailed Dr. N and heard back within 2 HRS from Dr. Politz (Dr. N out of town). He very politely said that based on my numbers, I MIGHT have a parathyroid tumor, but they would have to do more digging if I file a chart with them. I do have repeat labs pending this week. It will be interesting to see what they show. Thanks for your reply and I will post when I get my results!

Old 05-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #10
(female)

Songcanary HB User

I just did some more digging and got labs from Oct 09 when I got my last bone scan done. Ca 9.6 (8.5-10.5), PTH 88.8 (15.0-92.0). Vit D 36. What is interesting is that my PTH jumped to almost double that of July 09 which was 36.8 (10.0-65.0). My question is: Is that significant? I have read Dr. Norman's site and thought I understood it all, but now I'm having CRS disease LOL! I am still awaiting new labs but does anybody have thoughts on this?

Old 05-04-2010, 08:17 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

firebird56 HB User

The answer is, YES, this is quite significant! You have had calcium levels in the 10 range, an elevated PTH and bone loss (as well as low Vit D, which many of us have). I can't help but believe that had Dr. P known of this recent quite elevated PTH level he would have suggested you follow through with them immediately. Might help you to know that my level before surgery was "only" 75, but during surgery my PTH level was measured at 1,776!!!! (A patriotic number I shall never forget!) You've got some pretty conclusive evidence that you do, indeed, have a PT tumor. I hope you are able to pursue this through Dr. Norman, as I did. Will wait to hear of your news!

Old 05-04-2010, 09:07 AM   #12
(female)

Songcanary HB User

Hi all, labs are back.

Ca 10.1 (8.6-10.2)
PTH 32.0 (10.0-65.0)

Also, I found one from Dec 09:

Ca 9.9 (8.5-10.1)

I do seem to be bouncing around for over a year but only twice into the danger zone. So I emailed Dr. Politz with this new info and hopefully he'll respond. I think I will move forward with filing a chart with them because I have been worked up for everything else and I still feel horrible. Who cares about the money; I'm so sick I couldn't spend it on anything else anyway I don't know what else to do at this point.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #13
(female)

Songcanary HB User

Firebird,

I think our posts must have just squeaked by each other! Thanks for the encouragement. I really hope you're right. I cannot believe your high PTH #!!! Mine is back down now, don't know what that means. I am just going nuts waiting for a response from Tampa, but in the meantime I have finished my initial online paperwork. I mean, what do I have to lose? My quality of life is currently ZERO. I am so happy that you are well now and you are such a doll for offering all this important info to me.

**I just heard from Dr. Politz and he said this does not look like PT disease. He was very nice about it and said he just wanted to be honest**

So I am back at square one again, but what else is new??? My allergist, who is very good, said to try a trial of Armour thyroid 15 mg just in case I am subclinical hypothyroid. I do have many symptoms and low normals of FT3 and FT4. That's a whole 'nother story but I do hope it helps! Thanks again, Firebird.

Last edited by Songcanary; 05-04-2010 at 01:40 PM. Reason: New info

Old 05-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #14
(female)

1lesspara HB User

Songcanary,

You are in the same boat as I am. I did have one adenoma removed in 2008 after a very hard fought battle with several endos who all said I did not have an adenoma. Broke my ankle, diagnosed with severe osteo and ankle surgeon suspected parathyroid adenoma. My blood work was always serum calcium 10.2 and PTH fluctauating between 38 and 70. Had adenoma removed in 2008.

Unfortunately my story doesn't end there. April 2009 my symptoms returned. I was sure I had another ademona. Had two blood tests and results were serum calcium 10.2 and 10.1. My PTH was 70 and 55. All the endos I saw again said no way I could have another adenoma. I have a chart in with Dr. Politz and they don't think I have an adenoma. My most recent test for them was serum calcium 9.7 and PTH 46.7. My most resent DEXA scan has showed significant bone loss since the parathyroidectomy. It should have at the very least stayed the same. It was done one year post surgery. I have a sister who has had three adenomas so I know I could have another.

I am at my wits end trying to get this taken care of. I don't know where else to turn. I just know that I have another adenoma but convincing anyone else is impossible.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

I just got a call from Dr. Goodman and they DO think I have a parathyroid adenoma! Halleluyah!! I am SO HAPPY I finally decided to pay the fee and send all my test results. I have been told no by so many doctors that, frankly, I am stunned! I have been to so many doctors in the past two years that it baffles me. I have had so many blood tests and even paid for so many on my own when my doctors refused to test further. I sure hope they are right as this is an expensive undertaking. In advance, I would like to say thank you to all who have endured my whining in the past three years! I referred myself so I guess I will have to let me GP know so I can get follow up care.
Hoppy

Closed Thread