It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
(female)

brooklynbabii HB User
Question Pain in neck, thyroid problem??

Hello everyone!
I'm a 19 year old female who has a history of thyroid antibodies. Doctors haven't been much help throughout the years. They have tested for thyroid problems every so often and sometimes my test results are fine, sometimes they say hyperthyroidism, sometimes they say hypothyroidism. I was told once I had a goiter and then I didn't. They wanted to test me every couple of months but my insurance ran out so it has been a few years. I still don't have health insurance. For the past few weeks my neck has been really stiff. I've just been ignoring it, but now it has gone from just stiffness to pain as well. Sometimes it is painful enough to bring me to tears and I have a high pain tolerance. When I bend my head back, the right side of my neck towards the front is slightly swollen compared to the other side, but its not that noticeable. That area of my neck on the right side towards the front is very tender and a part of it is extremely painful when pressure is applied. It hurts to cough, and to swallow. There is stiffness all around the right side of my neck. I don't remember pulling or straining anything. I was sick about 2 months ago but got over it fast. The only reason I think it has something to do with my thyroid is because of my weird history with it. Does this sound like a thyroid issue or anything you have experienced? I don't want to go to the doctor unless I really have to, once again I don't have insurance. Thanks for reading!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2010, 06:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Pain in neck, thyroid problem??

I think it does sound thryoid. Without insurance it will be hard to diagnose though. You really need an ultrasound. Any chance of getting some insurance soon? You also should get some good testing done and it's very likely you need to go on thyroid hormones to relieve your symptoms and stop the destruction of your thyroid.
My understanding of the new health care reform is that states will be required to provide high risk health insurance pools for people who have pre-existing conditions where they can purchase insurance more affordably. I don't know when this will be enacted though so you may need to make some inquiries.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
(female)

brooklynbabii HB User

Thank you for your advise. I have tried to look into the new health care plans and it isn't doing much but confusing me. Everything I read are based more off people's opinion than fact and they try to throw it in as fact. I actually just found out today that I got hired full time at Starbucks. Hopefully I'll be able to start soon because after 90 days, I get health insurance. I will watch my pain levels and see how it goes. The pain seems to fluctuate. Last night I couldn't move at all and it hurt so bad my roommate was about to take me to the hospital. I woke up this morning still very stiff but the pain is barely there. The spot where I would put pressure on it last night would make me cry out in pain, and now its very bearable. Yesterday the pain didn't seem to increase until night time. I was fine all day, so I wonder if it will hurt more later and why? On top of that I am having symptoms recently of both hyper and hypothyroidism. Like my body can't make up it's mind of which direction it wants to go. I'll give you guys a list of the symptoms that I have noticed at least:

-pain and stiffness in right side of neck towards the front. Tender to the touch.
-sore/stiff muscles for no apparent reason. Mainly upper back, right shoulder and neck focusing on the right side and front.
-neck feels and looks slightly swollen on right side towards front.
-dry skin BUT even if I am really cold my hands and feet are sweating ridiculously. Like forming puddles its gross. I've always been clammy but never like this.
-not being able to lose weight even while barely eating and exercising a lot. I go to the gym everyday and normally ride my bike 5-6 miles at the very least 3-4 times a week. I either stay the same weight or gain up to 7 lbs.
-sudden anxiety and heart palpitations. I have vasovagal syncope so being dizzy isn't out of the ordinary but lately when I get those heart racing episodes, I get really dizzy and short of breath as well. They are at random times too, most of the time its when I'm just sitting down or be talking to someone and I'll have to stop mid sentence to catch my breath.
-insomnia/fatigue this is one of the reasons I think my body can't decide which way to go. I have gone days without sleeping. I'm tired but my mind won't let me sleep. I'll just lay there forever and eventually get up and go do something. But then again, sometimes I'll sleep just fine and even if I get myself on a normal sleep schedule again I will sleep for 12 sometimes 13 hours and have to force myself to wake up. I don't know if that would actually be a symptom. It could just be my body trying to catch up. It started when all the other stuff started too so I figured I'd put it down just in case.
-oh and constant headaches but I'm gonna have to say they are caused by the neck pain.

I think I'm broken. :/ lol

Last edited by brooklynbabii; 04-13-2010 at 01:46 PM.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Once you have insurance get some good testing done to see if your thyroid is responsible for these symptoms (most likely it is). These are the best tests to get:
Free T3
Free T4
Ferritin
vitamin D
vitamin B12
TSH.

You will need to find a doctor who is willing to treat you as well. Going hypo and hyper is common with Hashi's. The antibodies will attack the thyroid and cause a release of excess hormones (hyper). Then the thyroid is damaged and fewer hormones are released (hypo). This will happen until the thyroid is compleatly dead. Taking enough thyroid hormone to suppress the thyroid will ward off the antibody attacks and prevent the "Hashi's swings" as well as provide you with the necessary hormones you need to function. Getting your adrenals tested with a saliva cortisol test is also a good idea as adrenals often get fatigued with long-untreated hashi's.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
(female)

diane777 HB User

I'm so glad you got hired, and I hope these 90 days go quickly! This is why we need single-payer in this country which are taxes are already paying for -- but we are not getting. It kills me to see such a young woman suffering like this and not being able to go for help. It's not right.

I had pain in my right sterno-cleido-mastoid muscle a month or so ago. It was so tender and painful. It was because my goiter (I have Hashimoto's) was enlarging and the nodule was pushed underneath my muscle. This inflamed the entire muscle from my skull all the way down to my clavicle. I'm very concerned about your pain and stiffness and shortness of breath. Please take it easy and don't over do until you can get to a doctor. Please let us know how it goes.

Almost forgot -- most of the new healthcare laws don't take effect until 2014!!!

Diane

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbabii View Post
Thank you for your advise. I have tried to look into the new health care plans and it isn't doing much but confusing me. Everything I read are based more off people's opinion than fact and they try to throw it in as fact. I actually just found out today that I got hired full time at Starbucks. Hopefully I'll be able to start soon because after 90 days, I get health insurance. I will watch my pain levels and see how it goes. The pain seems to fluctuate. Last night I couldn't move at all and it hurt so bad my roommate was about to take me to the hospital. I woke up this morning still very stiff but the pain is barely there. The spot where I would put pressure on it last night would make me cry out in pain, and now its very bearable. Yesterday the pain didn't seem to increase until night time. I was fine all day, so I wonder if it will hurt more later and why? On top of that I am having symptoms recently of both hyper and hypothyroidism. Like my body can't make up it's mind of which direction it wants to go. I'll give you guys a list of the symptoms that I have noticed at least:

-pain and stiffness in right side of neck towards the front. Tender to the touch.
-sore/stiff muscles for no apparent reason. Mainly upper back, right shoulder and neck focusing on the right side and front.
-neck feels and looks slightly swollen on right side towards front.
-dry skin BUT even if I am really cold my hands and feet are sweating ridiculously. Like forming puddles its gross. I've always been clammy but never like this.
-not being able to lose weight even while barely eating and exercising a lot. I go to the gym everyday and normally ride my bike 5-6 miles at the very least 3-4 times a week. I either stay the same weight or gain up to 7 lbs.
-sudden anxiety and heart palpitations. I have vasovagal syncope so being dizzy isn't out of the ordinary but lately when I get those heart racing episodes, I get really dizzy and short of breath as well. They are at random times too, most of the time its when I'm just sitting down or be talking to someone and I'll have to stop mid sentence to catch my breath.
-insomnia/fatigue this is one of the reasons I think my body can't decide which way to go. I have gone days without sleeping. I'm tired but my mind won't let me sleep. I'll just lay there forever and eventually get up and go do something. But then again, sometimes I'll sleep just fine and even if I get myself on a normal sleep schedule again I will sleep for 12 sometimes 13 hours and have to force myself to wake up. I don't know if that would actually be a symptom. It could just be my body trying to catch up. It started when all the other stuff started too so I figured I'd put it down just in case.
-oh and constant headaches but I'm gonna have to say they are caused by the neck pain.

I think I'm broken. :/ lol

Closed Thread